LOUISVILLE 2/1/23 GAME THREAD

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Haslametrics has this season graph, and we’re trending down all year—it’s not the chart I’d have expected with Pastner—he usually starts out absolutely terrible, but gets better.
It was the same last year.

What is different about this year/last year from the previous years (except his first season)?

Jose isn't on the team.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
Many games this year have followed an 'interesting' pattern. Tonight was a good example. Pastner has always stressed low turnovers and tonight Tech had a very respectable 5 while Louisville had 15! (with 9 to 5 in steals and 5 to 1 in blocks). Pastner says offensive rebounds are vital and Tech had 12 to Louisville's 9. So far, so good!
The fouls were almost identical and both teams had 10 assists. Louisville scored four more points at the line and both teams only hit 7 threes. Yeah, well, I guess both teams struggled tonight.
So from what I've said so far, this looks like a game slightly in Tech's favor.
Now we look at total rebounds and ah, I see that Louisville had 14 more! Well, Smith was out and he's had double digits in rebounds more than once. Even though we knew Tech would lack effective height this year, they outrebounded Pitt, Notre Dame and Miami and were right there with Virginia, FSU, and N.C. State.
So for all the things Pastner coaches in order to minimize THE problem, none of it matters if your players can't score......and this year is downright dreadful. I don't think some of these guys could shoot if Jay Wright or Dean Smith were coaching them either.
But what those guys could teach is offense.....and Tech hasn't had an effective coached offense in over 26 years!
We've had a few players that willed us to victories and we're all very appreciative of that.
We all want to see better recruits but when he had them, they didn't turn Hewitt into a genius, unfortunately.
So if Tech does go in a different direction, can they for once PLEASE line up somebody that can coach offense BEFORE making major changes?

slugboy

Staff member
It was the same last year.

What is different about this year/last year from the previous years (except his first season)?

Jose isn't on the team.
This year is different. This year is Pastner’s worst year by a long shot. Last year was his worst year before that, but it’s not even close to this season. Over his GT career, Pastner has mostly been just outside the NCAA tournament **bubble** except for two years where the team was very good and deserved to go to the tournament and one year where we played in the NIT. If this team had just followed the pattern of normal Pastner teams, we’d be in the middle of a down ACC year and and being outside of the NCAA bubble watch. Most years, he has an early season “WTH” set of bad games and overcomes them and gets better—this year has been downhill all year, to the point of looking checked out at this point of the season now.

The other teams at least played good defense and gelled late in the season. This one hasn’t.

Here’s Pastner’s first year (pre-Alvarado)

Haslametrics.com Pastner 1st year.png

Here’s 4 years ago (with Jose, the year we took a postseason ban):
Haslametrics.com 18-19.png

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
This year is different. This year is Pastner’s worst year by a long shot. Last year was his worst year before that, but it’s not even close to this season. Over his GT career, Pastner has mostly been just outside the NCAA tournament **bubble** except for two years where the team was very good and deserved to go to the tournament and one year where we played in the NIT. If this team had just followed the pattern of normal Pastner teams, we’d be in the middle of a down ACC year and and being outside of the NCAA bubble watch. Most years, he has an early season “WTH” set of bad games and overcomes them and gets better—this year has been downhill all year, to the point of looking checked out at this point of the season now.

The other teams at least played good defense and gelled late in the season. This one hasn’t.

View attachment 13971

View attachment 13973
I guess what I’m saying was who was responsible for squeezing the best out of teammates in those seasons?

Was it Jose as the peer leader?
Was it Josh?

It’s probably a mix but I’m starting to think the responsibility for squeezing that winning will out of players and desire to get better over the season was mainly from Jose’s leadership.

TheDanielHordShow

Helluva Engineer

View attachment 13971

View attachment 13973
Do you have a graph for the ACC Title year?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Your post and, especially the two graphs, would be supportive of saying Pastner is a good coach who develops players under his leadership. This year is not supportive of any argument in his favor.

SandySpringsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I guess what I’m saying was who was responsible for squeezing the best out of teammates in those seasons?

Was it Jose as the peer leader?
Was it Josh?

It’s probably a mix but I’m starting to think the responsibility for squeezing that winning will out of players and desire to get better over the season was mainly from Jose’s leadership.
Do you think losing the assistant Reveno has had an adverse effect as well? The inside play has been miserable.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Your post and, especially the two graphs, would be supportive of saying Pastner is a good coach who develops players under his leadership. This year is not supportive of any argument in his favor.
I still wonder if it is not Pastner, but Reveno who was primarily responsible for the improvement we used to see from early in the year to later. He was our big man coach and that offense is so reliant on good decision making from the big man in the high post, plus our defense relies on a rim protector. As the big man play improved, team play improved. He left to go to Oregon State, and they have markedly improved this season over last (although still nowhere near a tourney team).

Color me a Reveno fan, not so much a Pastner fan...no matter how nice a guy Pastner is.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not having Smith and Terry available to play last night obviously heard us, especially with Smith being out. I'd like to think that we would have actually won the game if he was available. Regardless, we still should have won...

slugboy

Staff member
Do you have a graph for the ACC Title year?
Sure, you can go to https://haslametrics.com/ratings2.php?yr=2021&tid=141. Also, WarrenNolan.com is a fantastic site too. I added a table below the graph—we were really good in 20-21, but Moses and COVID were bad luck.

Haslametrics.com 20-21.png

This year and last year were lost years. He needed to make a tough decision last year and didn’t. Then, he did that again this year. We didn’t have the post player we needed to play the Princeton offense in 20-21, and moved Moses there to make do. He was out of position, but he was good enough to get us to the tourney. The next year, we didn’t even have Moses, and no one grew into the post role. We should have changed our offense in 21-22. There are offenses that work better for the players we have. We definitely should have changed it this off-season.

Pastner thought it was too big of a transition for the players, but he put off something he should have done years ago and the bill finally came due.

Do you think losing the assistant Reveno has had an adverse effect as well? The inside play has been miserable.

Last year was also a mess in the post, high and low. I think Rev is a great coach, but he wasn’t the cause of this year’s issues.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My girlfriend from Panama watched the game with me and said that “touring the canal for 24 hours is more exciting” than GT basketball lol. What a hater of the Princeton offense and no ball movement. But we have guard rebounding!
Our leading rebound in ACC play (Deivon) was on the bench in street clothes. He's been our best player, not having him really hurt.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Is Jermontae Hill just relegated to walk-on status in terms of development? He had offers from UF, FSU, Texas Tech, etc. coming out of high school, was a borderline top 20 player in the state, solid 3*, and yet the worst team in the ACC can’t even put him in once to see what we have? He must be really tough to watch in practice.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Is Jermontae Hill just relegated to walk-on status in terms of development? He had offers from UF, FSU, Texas Tech, etc. coming out of high school, was a borderline top 20 player in the state, solid 3*, and yet the worst team in the ACC can’t even put him in once to see what we have? He must be really tough to watch in practice.
I have no faith that this team of coaches has any capability of understanding what skill sets translate to game success, how to scheme an offense or defense to take advantage of the skill sets we do have, or who can and should be on the court at any point of time.

pittkesh99

Georgia Tech Fan
Our leading rebound in ACC play (Deivon) was on the bench in street clothes. He's been our best player, not having him really hurt.
Nevertheless, it shouldn't have mattered. If we were playing like Chicago St. and were only down Deivon and lost, that would clearly be horrible cause our team with our talent should be able to beat such a team. Chicago St. is higher on the Ken Pom rankings than Louisville. Now I know rankings and Ken Pom aren't the say all be all when it comes to these things, but it highlights Louisville is a garbage team. Everyone and their momma has been able to destroy Louisville. This team without Deivon should be able to pull off a win and they fact they didn't is embarrasing.
Is the players not living up to their potential? Pastner's player development lacks. Is our player talent just not enough? Pastner is not good at recruiting. Is our depth lackluster? Again Pastner's fault for poorly constructing a team. Did we just not capitalize on our chances and make stupid calls? Pastner is not a good coach.
There are 0 excuses for this game, and Pastner needs to be left in Kentucky.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I dont know about this dude but I can't believe the Bagats kid can't see time at all. We're desperate for anything resembling a shooter.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Where is the post game presser ? I wanted to hear what he had to say after losing to UL. Not on YouTube.
Maybe the seat was on fire when he got there.