Looks like VT will hire

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Oh my. ACC road gets tougher. Expected him to go to TX if Barnes hadn't bounced back with an NCAA appearance.

Any chance they meant Buzz Petersen or whatever his name is that just got fired from UNCW?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
In my opinion Williams does not make this move if not for the ACC's recent acquisitions and the demise of the old Big East. It's conceivable ACC basketball becomes a hype machine where teams like VT are actually halfway decent, similar to the rise of Ole Miss, Miss St., Vandy, etc riding on the coattails of the SEC teams winning football championships.

$18M over 7 years has to help too..
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ette-golden-eagles-coach-virginia-tech-hokies

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In my opinion Williams does not make this move if not for the ACC's recent acquisitions and the demise of the old Big East. It's conceivable ACC basketball becomes a hype machine where teams like VT are actually halfway decent, similar to the rise of Ole Miss, Miss St., Vandy, etc riding on the coattails of the SEC teams winning football championships.

$18M over 7 years has to help too..
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ette-golden-eagles-coach-virginia-tech-hokies

You know what...I'd be fine with that. All boats rise and maybe we can actually get some more hoops resources. Perhaps justified, but I'm kind of over it being GT's redheaded step child so to speak. We've got great facilities, great location, great academics... we can certainly use some hype.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think we've earned that status for ourselves @dtm1997. As a Hawks fan I certainly know how big bball can be in this city and also how, through poor play, you will totally and absolutely lose the fanbase. I also agree that the league will experience a near-SEC football like explosion and soon. I just hope we don't end up as MichSt/KY-level (in keeping with the SEC fball analogy) cannon fodder for the real teams.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
I think we've earned that status for ourselves @dtm1997. As a Hawks fan I certainly know how big bball can be in this city and also how, through poor play, you will totally and absolutely lose the fanbase. I also agree that the league will experience a near-SEC football like explosion and soon. I just hope we don't end up as MichSt/KY-level (in keeping with the SEC fball analogy) cannon fodder for the real teams.

MichSt went to the rose bowl last year and had a somewhat decent argument for the championship game.... I hope we end up that level in both football and basketball.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
MichSt went to the rose bowl last year and had a somewhat decent argument for the championship game.... I hope we end up that level in both football and basketball.

Lol, see my brain said MissSt but somehow MichSt came out in the post. That's either pretty remarkable or pretty scary for my brain functionality :eek:

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
amazing hire for VT. Shows the thinking of the college hoops world towards the ACC...

Honestly this is going to be bad for CBG...I fully expect both Wake and BC to bring in great hires...Wake is a great college basketball job.

GT might become one of the worst coaching staff's in the ACC after this year.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I truly believe that if GT job was available and we had the money, we could hire a GREAT ball coach. The ACC, plus the surrounding areas is a great combo we have working in our favor. Add to that the history of being ABLE to lure 5 star recruits and I think we could honestly land a really big coach.

Lets hope these guys stay available till after next year. Lets also hope we don't fire our current FB coach or else we will be biting another financial bullet.

Gtmamn61

Georgia Tech Fan
You know what...I'd be fine with that. All boats rise and maybe we can actually get some more hoops resources. Perhaps justified, but I'm kind of over it being GT's redheaded step child so to speak. We've got great facilities, great location, great academics... we can certainly use some hype.

Exactly my thoughts. In CBC era, the ACC had the premeire coaches in college basketball.