Looks like Justin Thomas will be ready for Elon

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Coach Johnson said today that he expects him back at practice today and he should be ready to go this weekend.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
The thumbnail on the front page "Looks like Justin Thomas..." scared the crap out of me. Thank goodness it is good news. I can't wait to see him full speed outside of a scrimmage.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
He's certainly as fast as advertised. In the replay of the TD where everyone was in slow motion JT was going regular speed

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
Looked like he tweaked a hami.

That's what I was thinking too. However he seemed ok when he made it back to the sideline. He was laughing with somebody or other. I'm sure he's fine. He's really got the speed though. We gotta get him into most games.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just watched the video, didn't see anything that would suggest he pulled a hammy. Maybe my eyes are bad, I simply see him slowing and strutting a bit as he crossed the goal line. Nothing has been reported post game that I can find either.

BerryGT

Georgia Tech Fan
For those saying he looked rough, if you watch vad's early games last year they're pretty rough too. He improved a lot over the course of the season and I'd expect JT to do the same.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
At last, the mystery is solved.

Per Ken Sugiura at the AJC:
“You don’t want to run the score up in the fourth quarter, but it’s hard to tell the kids who practice every day to lay down,” Johnson said. “It’s their chance to play. To run the clock was probably the right thing.”

In the same vein, Johnson mentioned something he said after the game about telling quarterback Justin Thomas not to score. I thought he was semi-kidding when he said it after the game, but now I’m not so sure. Johnson said he told Thomas that if he got in the clear, “we’ll take a knee and give ’em the ball back.”

As you may recall, Thomas got a crease and turned on the jets for a 44-yard touchdown. When he returned to the sideline, Johnson said, “I said, ‘Hey, I thought we talked about that.’ ‘Coach, I had to get one. I hadn’t played in a while.’ It was hard to get too mad at him.”

I thought that was kind of amusing. The full article is here. I think it's a pretty good read.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/georgia-tech/2013/sep/04/johnson-duke-elon-no-huddle/

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
“Hell, they had 10 points,” Johnson said. “It was like, Yeah, they’re wearing somebody out, but it’s not the other team.” LOL, that is one of his best yet!!

Yeah, when Vad ran hunh on the spring game scoring drive, I thought that was a sign of what we could do. But this comment from CPJ sounds like a personal jab at Blake Anderson and Larry Fedora. I wonder if he was trying to get under their skin or just talking in the abstract about hunh as if those guys hadn't actually invested themselves into that approach.

At a certain level, it seems to me that they could still say something like good players can beat any system, but I agree it was pretty funny.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
The biggest advantage to me of no huddle is that it can keep a defense from making substitutions and adjustments. If you can call 4 different plays from the same formation to take advantage of whatever way the defense lines up, that makes a lot of sense. I think it can be a great system. I think CPJ would agree with that possible advantage. I think he was making light of the thing that pundits like to say that isn't really an advantage - that it wears out a defense and gets your offense more snaps in a game. I agree with CPJ on those reasons being stupid - it also wears out your offense and your defense because your offense is also playing those snaps and your defense is on the field quicker, and it also gives the other offense just as many more snaps as it does yours.