Looking for bright spots - Butker

UgagSucks

Jolly Good Fellow
A big kudos to Butker for 2 nice field goals today! I think he's better at kicking 40+ yarders than the 25 yard variety. Hopefully his kicking performance today will be a nice confidence builder for him moving forward.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yes, the D was lights out in the 2nd half!!

This shld not be overlooked. As new defensive position coach candidate @Ibeeballin pointed out, we were giving Duke waaay too much credit as an offense. They're pedestrian. Good to see us step up.

Loved seeing Gray in there makin' plays. Get used to it, #15!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
the D played good today guys. Other than that 1st quarter stuck in the mud...they came out and played really well....14 to 17 of the points were sp teams related. another 7 was a forced 4th down blitz to stuff the run to save the game and the guy hit a crease. D was in a bad position.

So the D was a positive for me.

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
After the ND game CPJ stated, "He needs to quit thinking so much and just kick the damn ball" about Butker. Great public statement and it seemed to work for this week.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
I have seen quite a few things to be encouraged about - next year! I know its early in the season, but this team will take time to gel. Unfortunately that won't work with our schedule. We could be a lot better by the Georgia game (and still lose) but by then we could have 5, 6-or 7 losses. College football means being ready to play from the start. Everyone has limited practices and young players. Granted, many football factories have incredible depth and can afford to sit Freshmen - but that is not us so we should just forget about that.
But we just lost to a team that does not have that luxury either.
Injuries have played and will continue to play a part in that.
But next year we will have a bevy of talented, experienced skill players.
I am pessimistic about this season - and I hate to say it - but losing interest in this clown show fast. But I am taking the long view of this.
Next year at A back we will have Cotrell, Searcy, Green, Grant, Benson, Willis, T. Marshall, Lynch and maybe even Lands-Davis and Dr. Suess if CPJ decides to keep them there.
And he might because at B back we will have M. Marshall, Allen, Leggett and Mills.
From what I have seen of the guys playing so far, not a dog among them - all are talented. An embarrassment of riches.
At wide receiver we will also have a deep corps.
I am disappointed and not expecting much from here on out - but looking at next year we might be surprisingly good. Who knows, even though I doubt it, we could still turn this season around . I just hope we can extend the bowl streak that took 18 years to build.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Obviously, the ending was not what we wanted. But there were some things that are promising for the team going forward.

-Jeune. JeT needs a security blanket, and it looks like he's beginning to trust Jeune to make plays. The TD throw to Jeune which was a 50/50 throw, Jeune made a play using his bigger frame and athleticism. Exactly what Smelter did for us last year. This will pay dividends down the road.
-AJ Gray. May have quietly been his coming out party. Not only did he make a timely INT, but he also fortified the run defense with sure tackling instead of letting guys squirt for an extra 3-4 yards. He wasn't perfect, but like Jeune, his time on the field will pay dividends down the road. Will be a star for us sooner than later.
-Defense overall. Let's be real...they got punched in the mouth the first quarter. They took their beating and punched Duke back. If not for special teams and our limp offense, the defense probably would have been the star of the game. They will get better as guys like AJ Gray, and some of our younger DLs settle in.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Though is us who are long-time, long-suffering, GT football fans are all too used to two things: (1) our team finding ways to lose (that is, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory) rather than finding ways to win and (2) having our hopes built up, only to have them dashed. I am just hoping that the past two weeks have been a short-lived anomaly and not evidence that GT football is simply reverting to the mean.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
I admit, it was fun. However, I want to be better prepared with say, a raincoat, parka, scuba gear...something...
Goodtimes!

My gear wasn't too bad except for the shoes. My best choice at the time were a pair of waterproof hiking boots. They obviously aren't meant to have water sheeting off a poncho onto the top of the laces for several hours! They kept me dry until about halftime though.

I've got a brand new pair of bright yellow rain boots for this year, so it probably won't rain on a home game. Unless I forget and leave them at home. I took 'em to ND and they stayed in the suitcase all weekend.