Looking back at the Duke game

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
- Really loved seeing the Diamond formation...I knew we would use it but I didn't expect to see so much of it this week. Gives UNC more to think about now.

- Smelter played a good game and is going to be a good player for us.

- Need more effort from Waller.

- Vad Lee played well overall....Made some good throws. He can play better but he played well enough to win.

- on Godhighs long run in the first half we had some excellent blocking...Mason and Days had great blocks.

- Great pass protection this week.

- Hunt-Days played well from what I seen.

- Jemea Thomas is still a stud...he plays with great effort.

- Really liked seeing Snoddy...he is quick.

- I agree with CPJ that he didn't call a good game...we left a ton of points on the field.

- Have to be happy with the win on the road and opening up 2-0.

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
We only ran flexbone like 30% loved seeing pistol and diamond. I wanna see us do that more because they didn't have an answer for it for the most part. Just need to stop some of the drops

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agree on Snoddy. Showed a nice burst.

Still waiting to hear from Attouchu and Young on D. Am I crazy?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
May I add

O line work, especially Shaq Mason
Laskey's hard running and good hands
Sneezy's 2nd half
Gotsis' demanding double teaming yet still with TFLs

All in all a very solid game coming off a bye week and I expect the UNC coaching staff to quiet down about Tech being a "so called big time program" :cool:

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Re-watched the game today. Came away more impressed with our defensive effort. Golden was out of position on a few plays, but our secondary locked down Duke. Jemea and Lou were able to get off blocks and defeat the bubble screens early and kind of took Duke out of their game and their receivers pretty much accomplished nothing.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Want to add Corey Dennis to an "unsung hero" list. No, he didn't have any catches but he's a beast of a perimeter blocker. I noted at one time when he drove his man all the way into the end zone even though the play was away from them. A few times, the ref had to run over to him to tell him that the whistle blew cause he was just relentlessly driving the Duke defender with his feet.

jzgt22

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone know what duke did to piss off OK going into half time? He used all there time outs when it didn't seen like we had a legit chance to score and we were getting the ball back after halftime.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought he was just trying to force Duke to punt so we could get a chance at a block. I don't know why we didn't have anyone back to return the punt... that's the only explanation I could think of.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Watched the game again yesterday and this time really watched our lines. I can't say enough about how our guys played hard after their first TD drive.

I noticed Gotsis and Cummings in particular, they both started playing aggressive and it led to great negative plays. Also our DE's were timid in crashing down on the Dive of their read-option play, which was surprising to me since, since you think our guys would be familiar...This primarily is what lead to those times when Duke would gash our D.

We did a GREAT job on the QB however and forced him laterally where we simply had way more speed than Duke.

Our CB's had good/great games. They defeated blocks consistently.

JHD is a stud, that is all

Jemea loves to hit, stay out of his way.

Vad didn't have a good game,He missed several pitches that would have resulted in big gains, and some of his throws were high and long.

Waller better get his A$$ in gear, he got out "efforted" in the INT and actually had the inside position.

Right now I would start Smelter and Summers as our WR's

OL had a very good game and our pass block actually look decent.

Diamond formation is genius and will go a long way to help the perception and negative recruiting that surrounds Johnson's offense. Now all we have to do is point to colin Kap, Russell Wilson and RGIII and say, "we are running the same thing they are". Kudos to Johnson

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Diamond formation is genius and will go a long way to help the perception and negative recruiting that surrounds Johnson's offense. Now all we have to do is point to colin Kap, Russell Wilson and RGIII and say, "we are running the same thing they are". Kudos to Johnson

agree with this

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget we have a good TE committed to us to involve in diamond formation plays. Passing game plays are fun, but downfield blocking and opening outside gaps for the B-back could potentially be huge