Looking ahead to Miami

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
What changes can we make or improvements from this week to next?

We looked awkward running the option with Vad...he just doesn't seem natural.

Can our OL block this week?

This week is a huge statement for GT and CPJ this week.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I think we might see JT if Vad starts off playing the way he did..but the O line better show up or we will get smoked

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think JT may be better at the option but I don't really have a much of a sample size, and I honestly don't care. If CPJ thinks he is gonna go down to Miami and run the same BS he was running there he ran Thursday night, Tech will get crushed. I don't give a damn about his stupid system play the plays that work and that work best for the talent that he has. Miami's defense is licking their chops.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Not gettin my hopes up, but maybe we just was having an off night. We have to get better up front or it wouldn't matter if we had RGIII running the offense. CPJ is right about the backup QB bein the most famous person on the team. lol

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Good question Eric

Offense:

Coach J needs the game plan out of his head and on paper.

Time to include Justin and his speed in some of the packages. Coach J stated that Justin runs the option better.

Calm Vad down. I think Vad was labeled great a little prematurely. The potential to great is a better title. He is trying to hard to fulfill everyones expectation. It is causing him to panic which in turn is effecting his play. Justin is a good compliment and needs to be used.

use Smelter and Summers as starters. Make Waller compete for playing time. He is 6'5 and needs to use it. He does not go the highest point to catch a ball

Implement quick routes for receivers. For example: Wheel Routes, slant, dig, drag, screen, etc. Make the defense respect your passing game.

It may be late for this but include technique other than chop blocking for O Line.

Coach Johnson needs to be open to change. Again great coach with a lot of talent.

Defense.

DB's and LB's are not covering well. Talent is there by what the accomplished thus far:

Changes in Secondary

Move L. Griffin and J. Thomas to Safety both can cover and and stop the run game. Start DJ White and L. Young at corners. Rotate C. Milton or D. Noble for L. Young.

Return Attaochu to his role as a linebacker. Use Anthony Williams as a DE. He is versatile enough to both.

Blitz Blitz Blitz packages for the Linebackers

Nose tackle has to do a better job at understanding the 1 technique. If executed correctly he will draw a double team and prevent the guard and center from getting to the linebackers. This will also make it easier for the DT to get penetration in the backfield.

Just my 2 cents

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I hope Vad practices the option everyday. All it takes is repetition to get good at it (I assume). He should call Nesbitt or Tevin up and get some pointers. If he has the work ethic that he has displayed so far, or said he has, then he should be able to improve his reads over these next couple of weeks.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
imo, we fans should relax a bit. Our offense had more ypc rushing and ypa passing against vpi d than any team they've played. We were 20% better in rush offense and 30% better in pass offense by those numbers than Bama.

We've known that we won the last two games sloppy and that we couldn't expect to do that against a good team. We'll see if the team gets their minds right in 10 days.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
Excuse the errors guys. I was typing on my phone and it is difficult to see my errors.

Offense:

Coach J needs to take the game plan out of his head and put it on on paper. In other words it is OK to develop a weekly game plan

Time to include Justin and his speed in some of the packages. Coach J stated that Justin runs the option better.

Calm Vad down. I think Vad was labeled great a little prematurely. The potential to be great is a better title. He is trying to hard to fulfill everyone's expectations. It is causing him to panic which in turn is effecting his play. Justin is a good compliment and needs to be used.

Use Smelter and Summers as starters. Make Waller compete for playing time. He is 6'5 and needs to use it. He does not go the highest point to catch a ball

Implement quick routes for receivers. For example: Wheel Routes, slant, dig, drag, screen, etc. Make the defense respect your passing game.

It may be late for this but include a blocking technique other than chop blocking for O Line.

Coach Johnson needs to be open to change. Again great coach with a lot of talent.

Defense.

DB's and LB's are not covering well. Talent is there but some adjustments may be needed

Changes in Secondary

Move L. Griffin and J. Thomas to Safety both can cover and and stop the run game. Start DJ White and L. Young at corners. Rotate C. Milton or D. Noble for L. Young.

Return Attaochu to his role as a linebacker. Use Anthony Williams as a DE. He is versatile enough to play both linebacker and D.E.

Blitz Blitz Blitz packages for the Linebackers

Nose tackle has to do a better job at understanding the 1 technique. If executed correctly he will draw a double team and prevent the guard and center from getting to the linebackers. This will also make it easier for the DT to get penetration in the backfield.

Just my 2 cents[/quote]

Guys I am excited because of all the potential GT is showing. Let's Go YELLOW JACKETS!!!!!!

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I know everybody is gushing about the VaTech Dline and they are good, but I think Miami has just as good of front 4, the corners are better for VaTech but the front 4 of Miami's D are their strength.

I don't think the option with Vad will be much different against Miami, Cuckillo(sp?) is going to have his way against chamberlin...

I think the only hope with Vad under center is to run a lot more pistol and diamond. I don't think coach johnson is going to do this, but I think that gives Vad the best chance to actually read and react to the Defense.

The D is going to be fine, we are much better this year, and Gotsis had a very good game against VaTech.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
One thing I will say, I don't think it's possible for Tech to play a worse game than they played last night. A lot of how the Miami game goes is going to ride on how the players bounce back from last night. Miami's D line is good but I 'm not ready to say they're better than what we saw last night. A short to immediate passing has to be implemented, you've got to have a threat passing the ball. Otherwise you're going to see the same thing you saw last night.

ToddM

I think we will look like a different team next week. I think Tech has athletic and competitive players and based on that I think the O line is embarrassed and wants to show that they can play.

I like J Thomas but I don't care who was at QB last night that o line play would have given the same result.

GTFan62

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope Vad practices the option everyday. All it takes is repetition to get good at it (I assume). He should call Nesbitt or Tevin up and get some pointers. If he has the work ethic that he has displayed so far, or said he has, then he should be able to improve his reads over these next couple of weeks.
Vad worked with Tevin for 2 yrs as the backup. I hope he settles down the next week. Don't overthink.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Miami looks to have a stout D...A hoss at DT in Porter, playmaker at DE in Chickilo and a elite LB in Perryman.

They start 4 Seniors, 5 Juniors and 2 Sophomores.

They haven't had to play anybody besides UF though.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think we will look like a different team next week. I think Tech has athletic and competitive players and based on that I think the O line is embarrassed and wants to show that they can play.

I like J Thomas but I don't care who was at QB last night that o line play would have given the same result.

This is my hope as well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Miami's rush D has not been great, but they're the one team that consistently over performs against us based on that stat.

On the other hand, they are a rush first O, and our rush D has been very good.

We have historically played awfully in Miami, but I think we have the better team this year by some margin. We'll certainly know what our team is made of.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I'm expecting to see our O redeem themselves and Miami will test our rush D. They've pushed us around the last few years. Win this one and we are right back in it. VT game is history. Flush it.

Ramblinwreck7

Georgia Tech Fan
JT does not need to play. If you want to strip Vad of his confidence and make him have some doubts, put JT in. However, if Vad really is our starter and is going to be our starter, you let him continue to grow and learn while playing in the game.

I'm not a fan of a 2 QB system at all. I actually despise 2 QB systems. The only times a 2 QB system is ideal is:

1. Training a young QB to get valuable reps under an older, less talented starter.
2. You have two QBs who refuse to separate themselves and are forced to play both.

Having said that, I still think the best thing to do for the coach, QB, and the team is to choose one and go with him through good times and bad. You will grow more from that as a team.

Just my 2 cents...

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
JT does not need to play. If you want to strip Vad of his confidence and make him have some doubts, put JT in. However, if Vad really is our starter and is going to be our starter, you let him continue to grow and learn while playing in the game.

I'm not a fan of a 2 QB system at all. I actually despise 2 QB systems. The only times a 2 QB system is ideal is:

1. Training a young QB to get valuable reps under an older, less talented starter.
2. You have two QBs who refuse to separate themselves and are forced to play both.

Having said that, I still think the best thing to do for the coach, QB, and the team is to choose one and go with him through good times and bad. You will grow more from that as a team.

Just my 2 cents...

+1