Looking ahead to Fall Camp - Offense

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm still amazed that one of the Sr abacks at least has not given it up..
also-What is wrong with this picture- 3 units of Abacks with Srs ,but looking at true Fr on the OL and DL..Why is it the guys who seem to quit and get hurt are the big guys?
I agree. This is the point where some of those 5th year guys graduate and give it up for the last season. I also think the coaches know something about this or maybe the incoming freshman that leads them to want 4 AB in this next class.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer

I think there's something to be said for wanting to see something through, especially a commitment such as playing college football. Also it's not like these guys have never done anything in their career- pretty much they have all had a big game or big plays in their career that I bet in the back of their minds doesn't feel like forever ago.

Why wouldn't they want to finish their last season with the brothers they came in with? Too much position depth doesn't have be a valid reason to quit in your last season playing at GT, even if it has been done before. I was pretty surprised people on here were insinuating Bostic and/or Zenon were just gonna give it up this offseason. Obviously this late it would still really really surprise me if they did.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
The offense line may perform better this year than expected. What I've heard is the new OL assistant coach is well received by the OL players and the players having been working out very hard this summer. With the construction in the weight room, Coach Sisk has been running cross training sessions and endurance is up within the whole group.
Now where have I heard this song before?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
IMO the O surprise will be third down efficiency. Last year we seemed to have very little chance on third and long. Thomas can be a real duel threat and I think he will deliver in the clutch much more so than our O in the recent past. I also believe Byerly can deliver those tough yards in short yardage needs. I hope CPJ takes advantage of the skills of both QBs. Home run plays are more likely from Thomas and the WRs. Grind out will come from the backs and I hope a lot of screens to Smelter. I predict O improvement!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
IMO the O surprise will be third down efficiency. Last year we seemed to have very little chance on third and long. Thomas can be a real duel threat and I think he will deliver in the clutch much more so than our O in the recent past. I also believe Byerly can deliver those tough yards in short yardage needs. I hope CPJ takes advantage of the skills of both QBs. Home run plays are more likely from Thomas and the WRs. Grind out will come from the backs and I hope a lot of screens to Smelter. I predict O improvement!

FWIW, 2013 was statistically our best year on converting 3rd and 7+ (parentheses reflect years where we converted passing the ball more than 28.5%)
2008 -29.33% (30.56% pass, 28.21% rush)
2009- 28.31%
2010- 26.39%
2011-23.81% (34.21% pass, 8% rush)
2012- 21.62%
2013- 30.9% (33.33% passing, 26.09% rushing)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Can't wait to see some smoke routes with Summers or Smelter ... and maybe pump fake the smoke route and throw deep to the other side. It worked in Intellivision.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I think that we're going to use a lot of A-Backs this year so that the top 2 of 6 will be changing from week to week.

Our top 3 (imo) WRs each have also proven that they can both block and adjust to the ball to catch passes. I have in mind Summers, Smelter, and Autry. When you add Waller et al to this list, I think we're going to be able to keep players fresh and focused.

I really think the competition at these spots will pay dividends.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
also-What is wrong with this picture- 3 units of Abacks with Srs ,but looking at true Fr on the OL and DL..Why is it the guys who seem to quit and get hurt are the big guys?

Well fwiw 3 of those senior A-backs came in at different positions then they are playing now.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, 2013 was statistically our best year on converting 3rd and 7+ (parentheses reflect years where we converted passing the ball more than 28.5%)
2008 -29.33% (30.56% pass, 28.21% rush)
2009- 28.31%
2010- 26.39%
2011-23.81% (34.21% pass, 8% rush)
2012- 21.62%
2013- 30.9% (33.33% passing, 26.09% rushing)
Yes, but I will bet that we were in 3rd and long more often than prior years. It is never a good place to be. Converting at 31% may be our best yet, but what were the number of attempts compared to previous 5? Taking too many negative plays on downs 1 and 2 were the root cause of our problems.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but I will bet that we were in 3rd and long more often than prior years. It is never a good place to be. Converting at 31% may be our best yet, but what were the number of attempts compared to previous 5? Taking too many negative plays on downs 1 and 2 were the root cause of our problems.

Attempts at 3rd and 7+
2008 75
2009 78
2010 72
2011 63
2012 74
2013 71

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Is our offense so complicated, that we can't have young talented players have an impact till they learn all the nuisances and must not have imbalances in the number of quality backup?
I think not.

This year coach will call that make the offense work no matter what!
That's why he will sub a lot in first 3 games with special plays the subs have practiced!
By game 4 we should be rolling!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Is our offense so complicated, that we can't have young talented players have an impact till they learn all the nuisances and must not have imbalances in the number of quality backup?
I think not.

This year coach will call that make the offense work no matter what!
That's why he will sub a lot in first 3 games with special plays the subs have practiced!
By game 4 we should be rolling!
I think it depends on how talented the rookie actually is. If he can learn a handful of plays/assignments and be very effective at those, by all means, play him. It all comes down to how productive the offense is with him on the field.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
3rd and 7+ as % of total plays and % of 3rd downs:
Year %Tot %3rd
2008 9.3 .... 46.6
2009 8.1 .... 39.2
2010 7.8 .... 39.3
2011 7.1 .... 34.6
2012 7.4 .... 37.9
2013 7.8 .... 40.6
So, other than the first year which is predictable, it's been the highest. Hopefully it comes way down this year.