Looking Ahead - Offensive Line

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Boomer, you're the man. Now I can wipe the sweat off my brow after thinking about having a small QB behind center. Thanks for another great analysis.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, you're the man. Now I can wipe the sweat off my brow after thinking about having a small QB behind center. Thanks for another great analysis.
Thanks Esso, but I'm not sure how my analysis would put minds at ease. There are a lot of questions. We will be bigger and that is good. My gut tells me pass pro will actually improve, and that is good. It is just the inexperience factor....

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks Esso, but I'm not sure how my analysis would put minds at ease. There are a lot of questions. We will be bigger and that is good. My gut tells me pass pro will actually improve, and that is good. It is just the inexperience factor....

I was concerned about losing so much experience on our OL due to graduation of solid players. Your post brought me optimism. Yeah, inexperience is always a big concern for any team. At least we shouldn't be alone in that regard...it happens every year to every team.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Yeah the Goon Squad turned out to be more like the Goof Squad. We have some potential but we lost a lot of experience. I do not expect us to be as good next year as we were last year. Hopefully we will grow throughout the year and get better. The inside could be good but I am real concerned about the center position and getting the calls right. Burden just strikes me as immature and O'Reily seems out of shape. The tackles have not been good since Todd Spencer left. I don't think Sewak even pays that position much attention. I am concerned Chamberlin is a bust, Roberts will be a chronic injury problem and Griffin is learning on the job. Maybe we can convert some of our d linemen to offensive linemen. Guys like Kallon who do not seem to be getting it on the other side of the ball.

Hopefully my skepticism will be proven wrong.

Go Jackets!
Jerry,
pretty much my thoughts,I was very disappointed after waiting 5 yrs for a total "PJ/exp" line
.I would think better maybe except--Sewak is the coach AGAIN -and -our expectation that things will get better the longer we go in program(better talent/depth ) was all but was destroyed by our replacements last yr.( whatif I had told you 1 yr ago that not only would THE top PJ OL recruit not start as Fr ,he may not start as R-Fr?)
If this group does not get it done.PJ is probably done--seeing that his new QB needs help bigtime

CornerBlitz

Jolly Good Fellow
Boomer - great post and much thanks for the analysis.

On a side note, why all the hate on Sewak? I'm curious and have no preconceived notions. My understanding is he was a long time CPJ guy with great experience with this O.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On Devine: my haberdasher has a son on his team. He (and I) expected Devine to play this year and he probably would have if he hadn't gotten a slight injury that held him back for the first three weeks. After that, a red-shirt was inevitable.

As my haberdasher says, however, he has the fastest feet for a man that size you will ever see. You can't bull rush him; he's too big. You can't run around him; he's too quick on his feet. And standing up to him is a losing proposition; he's so big that he runs right over most people. I expect him to start at OG and to see Braun out at OT to start the year. Should be interesting if our center OL starts at 305, 308, 350. This, btw , is one reason I expect Laskey to rush for over 1000 yards next year.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
On Devine: my haberdasher has a son on his team. He (and I) expected Devine to play this year and he probably would have if he hadn't gotten a slight injury that held him back for the first three weeks. After that, a red-shirt was inevitable.

As my haberdasher says, however, he has the fastest feet for a man that size you will ever see. You can't bull rush him; he's too big. You can't run around him; he's too quick on his feet. And standing up to him is a losing proposition; he's so big that he runs right over most people. I expect him to start at OG and to see Braun out at OT to start the year. Should be interesting if our center OL starts at 305, 308, 350. This, btw , is one reason I expect Laskey to rush for over 1000 yards next year.
Like the sound of that as well. However, im thinking Custis blows it up for 1,000 and Laskey pitches in another 400-600 with 100-200 recieving.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Didn't know Devine was injured early in the year. Good to hear he would have started if not. I always thought he didn't start because he was out of shape and that really worried me. Why would a guy with loads of talent and potential scuttle his future by not having the discipline to control his weight. Hmmmm.......

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
A guy who sounds like he knows some football says that one of the reasons our wide plays always seem to have ten guys waiting on them is they don't fear the B back enough. I'm another who hopes Custis comes in and lays claim to the position. But regardless, if we have great blocking from G-C-G, it would do great things for the B back regardless of who it is. Or maybe we see more of the play where the quarterback follows the B back through the center of the line.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
What is Morgan Bailey's situation? I know CPJ recently had some comments that downplayed his chances to play next year. Is he still on scholarship? Is there a shot he plays?

That guy is a difference-maker when healthy.

/

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Devine's weight issue and injury may have gone hand in hand. I expect him to come back this year sans a lot of that bad weight keeping him healthy for the entirety of the season.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Didn't know Devine was injured early in the year. Good to hear he would have started if not. I always thought he didn't start because he was out of shape and that really worried me. Why would a guy with loads of talent and potential scuttle his future by not having the discipline to control his weight. Hmmmm.......
If im not mistaken in was a hernia of some sort for Devine. Not the sports hernia that Bailey suffered but some type. Supposedly he was good to go by midseason I believe but they didnt want to burn a ship for half a season.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Thanks for expanding my vocabulary. I was pretty sure haberdasher wasn't a word, so I looked it up. I was indeed mistaken. You learn something new every day!

slugboy

Staff member
Devine's weight issue and injury may have gone hand in hand. I expect him to come back this year sans a lot of that bad weight keeping him healthy for the entirety of the season.
Two years ago, the Falcons' strength trainer was Jeff Fish, who was famous for his "pre-hab" work--strength training that helped prevent injury. They released him in the off-season, and the Falcons were depleted by injuries all season. Maybe it's bad luck, but I wonder if the training has something to do with it.

Stanford has a similar regimen (NYTimes link).

I've seen a lot of interesting buzz over our strength coach. Anyone know his training philosophy?

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Two years ago, the Falcons' strength trainer was Jeff Fish, who was famous for his "pre-hab" work--strength training that helped prevent injury. They released him in the off-season, and the Falcons were depleted by injuries all season. Maybe it's bad luck, but I wonder if the training has something to do with it.

Stanford has a similar regimen (NYTimes link).

I've seen a lot of interesting buzz over our strength coach. Anyone know his training philosophy?

Thanks for the link, SB. I read the article with interest since I am in my mid seventies and am constantly injuring myself at the fitness facility doing the same weight and aerobic workouts that I did with no problem just a few years ago. This sentence in the article really caught my eye...

“These are things that you do for Grandma and Grandpa,” Conniff said. “It’s not exclusive to football players.

Often I am amazed more by what we don't know than by what we do know. For example, I recall when Robert Lavette would throw up on the sidelines just about every game. In a later conversation with Bill Curry, he told me that the team was eating steak before each game. Now you would think they would have known better...even in those days...but apparently they didn't until they found out the hard way.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for expanding my vocabulary. I was pretty sure haberdasher wasn't a word, so I looked it up. I was indeed mistaken. You learn something new every day!
And it's a lot shorter then, "the salesman at the men's clothing store I go to." Keep it brief, I always say.