Looking Ahead - Defensive Line

Why don't you post up exactly what he said? Based on your other post (all negative btw) i would guess you are taking it way out of context. I have to wonder about anyone who thinks our academic requirements and lack of exceptions from the hill are an urban legend and an excuse.

I'll go to the 680AM website and see if they have one of those radio replays available, I think the interview in which he said those things was done in late October.

I have no reason to lie and it was talked about on other Message boards.

Why don't you be a better GT fan and listen to the MBob interview each week like I do, all radio stations stream over the internet if you are not local?

Last edited:

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I was pretty sure that Gotsis came to Tech weighing about 295-300 lbs. He appeared to have the physique to be a great DT. I now read he weighs 277 lbs. I would suggest that the loss of weight has hindered him somewhat at the DT position. The initial pictures of Gotsis indicated he was pure muscle at the 295 weight. Has he actually lost 20+ pounds, and if so, why? Also, it is foolish to withhold players from free substitution roles even if they are not as good as the starters. The absence of playing time causes moral problems. A player who is 75% of the first teamer is more effective than the first teamer if the first teamer is exhausted.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
JHD is not the same as Attachou, he was a MLB and an ILB whereas Attachou was an OLB that did more pass rush things than JHD.

You can't just take your best LB and put them at DE every year to make up for DE recruits that don't pan out.
Agree with you even though JA is excellent player and person....he gives away so much weight when folks ran at him.Got to have some dl and soon.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Weakest Def in the PJ era? Please back this up
Well.you start by MISQUOTING me--I said "ONE of the weakest"-lets just say that next yrs DEF will be worse than this yr-losing 6 Srs hurts even if some are not that great
Lets ck the stats at the end of next yr

Mack

Helluva Engineer
One thing that MBob has done is increase the recruiting staff and budget. Ted Roof is s good recruiter. If the GT fan base has the patience, the recruiting will greatly improve.
Shoot Lexy how long to we have to wait ? If it costs then lets see what we get with out money . Why not go nationwide and see how many guys we can catch in the net.....one thing for sure they are not getting anybody I know off in the Central Savannah River Area and that is quite a few counties..Surly guys up North would like to come south and get out of SNOW ! Now I know there has to be good students out there that can cut it here but so far we are not getting it done..Too many ACC teams we play out recruiting us..

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
If the posts you've made today are an indication of your future participation, this forum is in trouble. If they reflect your knowledge of football- -- shutter.

(I've been informed that this language does not constitute a personal attack)

So who made you the high judge of comments on this board?.After playing and then watching Tech football for 50 yrs,I'll bet my knowledge is equal to yours.
Since you want to make a comment on me, give me an indication on you,what did you predict this yrs record to be ?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If my comments about you were "high and mighty," then so were your comments about two of our SAs. When you back up your comments, then I'll back up mine.

There's a difference between saying, "Based on what I've seen, I have concerns about our D if ..." and making the kind of sarcastic blast that you made.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Hey everyone, love the good discussions that are happening in this thread. However, let's make sure that it doesn't get too negative/personal if you disagree with another member. I really have enjoyed the discussions on these boards and I think many of you feel the same way. Just wanted to give you all a reminder.

Awesome thread by Boomergump

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There are just too many unknowns to have a firm opinion on how good the line will be next year. For instance, at what level will Commishiong be ready to contribute? None of us really know that. He could have been tearing it up in practice all year and we wouldn't know. Will the light go on for Kallon? That is a huge question and none of us really have a clue. If yes, we may have something going on. One thing I feel sure of is that Gotsis will be better. He has been improving and there is no reason, barring injury or illness, to suspect he won't continue to do so. I feel sure we can get Cummings type production out of a host of players. Our goal needs to be to elevate the play at DT though, and not just replace Euclid. DE is where I am worried. Dieke will not be hard to replace, Gamble was just as effective in the time I watched him out there. But Attaochu, on the other hand, will be. We need to find an answer, because I would hate to rely solely on a zone blitz scheme to get pressure.
You are correct sir. We really can't speculate much on these RS Freshman until the spring and we hear the reports and see the practices(hopefully open) for ourselves.

I feel confident in Gotis progressing and being even a stronger/better player. Also, I think we will be able to replace Dieke and get an upgrade. Cummings had a really good year but nothing spectacular. I am optimistic that we can be just as effective with one guy or two guys sharing snaps at his position.

However, Attaochu is going to be a tough loss. I am hoping we will be more disruptive at the DT and the other DE position which will open things up for all of our players to make plays. We were too dependent on Attaochu for pass rush this year. We need everyone to take turns making plays.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hey everyone, love the good discussions that are happening in this thread. However, let's make sure that it doesn't get too negative/personal if you disagree with another member. I really have enjoyed the discussions on these boards and I think many of you feel the same way. Just wanted to give you all a reminder.

It's because certain posters steered the discussion away from the DL and toward their dislike for the coaching staff. One thing I like about this board is that most members tend to keep the discussion on the original topic. On other sites, it is common place for threads to be hijacked by guys with agendas. I sure hope that does not become the norm here.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm afraid you've gotten some guys with chips (or butts) on their shoulder from Jim Hart's site.......

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
+1 on that!

though we got blistered a few times this season i'm pleasantly surprised with our D. we're what--30th in scoring D and around 22nd in total D to end this season? CTR done good!

We've definitely improved, but don't let the game stats fool ya. As a rule, our offense limits the number of possessions our D has to face compared to other teams. We're 51st in points/drive allowed (which is helped by our big games against Elon, BamaA&M, and Syracuse).

Our significant improvement on D has come in yards/carry allowed and 3rd down conversion%. We're still not yet mediocre in pass defense, but significantly better than the horrible we have been.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Our defense still suffers from playing the big uns.We do well vs little guys but seem to have problems with the big Four VT,Clemson,Miami and Georgie.I dont care about stats since they can be up or down according to how you want to see them but seven and five is my stat and I agree with most everybody that a better defense .....certainly a better pass rush will yield great benefits.I dont expect us to move up drastically this coming year but still think Roof has good game plan and now he needs athletes to follow it.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
We've definitely improved, but don't let the game stats fool ya. As a rule, our offense limits the number of possessions our D has to face compared to other teams. We're 51st in points/drive allowed (which is helped by our big games against Elon, BamaA&M, and Syracuse).

Our significant improvement on D has come in yards/carry allowed and 3rd down conversion%. We're still not yet mediocre in pass defense, but significantly better than the horrible we have been.

you say don't let the stats fool us--then you back up your comments with stats, haha! ;)

we're not the only team that plays patsies so you can discount weaker opponents. else, you have to do it with all teams.

just wonder what could have been had the O not wet the bed so many times and left our D hung out to dry?

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
you say don't let the stats fool us--then you back up your comments with stats, haha! ;)

we're not the only team that plays patsies so you can discount weaker opponents. else, you have to do it with all teams.

just wonder what could have been had the O not wet the bed so many times and left our D hung out to dry?
:banghead: I know....Especially VT game...

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I was pretty sure that Gotsis came to Tech weighing about 295-300 lbs. He appeared to have the physique to be a great DT. I now read he weighs 277 lbs. I would suggest that the loss of weight has hindered him somewhat at the DT position. The initial pictures of Gotsis indicated he was pure muscle at the 295 weight. Has he actually lost 20+ pounds, and if so, why? Also, it is foolish to withhold players from free substitution roles even if they are not as good as the starters. The absence of playing time causes moral problems. A player who is 75% of the first teamer is more effective than the first teamer if the first teamer is exhausted.
I think it was the coaches desiscion to make him lose the weight. If he is playing our one/NT technique, then this loss of weight helps some. Because the one/NT position is a gap pentetrating position. He is supose to shoot the gap and disrupt the backfield with his penetration. However, if we wanted to move him to the other tackle position on the strong side, yes he would need to put on 20-30 pounds to play the technique. But for his current position, he's just fine with the lighter weight.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I'm a big fan of stats, but the right st stats. Given the difference between our 11 drive 65 play games and the 17 drive 85 play games of a lot teams today, total yards and total points are not as telling as yards per play and points per drive.

Your right that our O wet the bed at some crucial times, but it was still statistically more competitive than our D.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think it was the coaches desiscion to make him lose the weight. If he is playing our one/NT technique, then this loss of weight helps some. Because the one/NT position is a gap pentetrating position. He is supose to shoot the gap and disrupt the backfield with his penetration. However, if we wanted to move him to the other tackle position on the strong side, yes he would need to put on 20-30 pounds to play the technique. But for his current position, he's just fine with the lighter weight.

Yeah, S&C program made that move. He lost weight but got a lot stronger.