Looking Ahead - Defensive Line

Great write up Boomer!

I just do not know what we are going to have next year. I would settle for mediocrity at the DE positions if we could get a great push from our tackles. We have been fortunate to have great speed rushers at the DE position, but there is nothing wrong with pushing the pocket back with brute force on the inside.

I think Jabari could be a situational DE, but not an every down DE.

JHD is not the same as Attachou, he was a MLB and an ILB whereas Attachou was an OLB that did more pass rush things than JHD.

You can't just take your best LB and put them at DE every year to make up for DE recruits that don't pan out.

I agree with the general premise of this statement i.e., hope and potential is not a strategy for success. That said, it's also reasonable to assume that many of the redshirts happened due to physical limitations that may be overcome by a full year in the S&C program.

It's also possible that some of the redshirts were equal to the 2nd string upperclassmen during fall camp. If so 1) that's impressive for a true frosh and 2) it still made sense to redshirt them last year and not waste a year of eligibility. We all know how little playing time the second string got this year in crucial situations as it was.

All this is to say, I'm not optimistic about next year's DL and will not be until I see it on the field. We'll surely be fed a dose of mandatory optimism/raised expectations this offseason by the media (like every year). Remember, according to those who wrote it 2013 was supposed to be Darren Waller's coming out party and a redemption year for certain individuals in the secondary.

That is a very out-dated mindset (in bold).

With today's hurry-up offenses, with many more plays being run that are designed to spread gassed defenses out, if you have a T-Fr. that is able to help, then he needs to be in the rotation to help us win games in the now rather than hoping that he's a player as a 5th yr. Sr.

It is the HC's job to recruit well each year, worry about the current season's issues and then RS only where we have a legit logjam ,like at A-back

Our DL could have used a lot more players getting rotated in this year.

Last edited:
Let's try to keep this thread about the players, shall we?

A.Williams' brother noticed that GT didn't rotate our DLs and in his opinion that is why we got gassed and wore down vs. UGA, after 6+ years of this current regime, shouldn't we expect to be able to do what other programs do that have their full compliment of 85 schollies.

Recruits notice things like that and Williams' brother didn't like that about GT.

He was at the UGA game, so I am assuming that we still had a chance to get him, this late in the recruiting process.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
A.Williams' brother noticed that GT didn't rotate our DLs and in his opinion that is why we got gassed and wore down vs. UGA, after 6+ years of this current regime, shouldn't we expect to be able to do what other programs do that have their full compliment of 85 schollies.

Recruits notice things like that and Williams' brother didn't like that about GT.

He was at the UGA game, so I am assuming that we still had a chance to get him, this late in the recruiting process.

Andrew was not at the UGA - GT game that day...he went to the USC - Clemson game.

We were already out of it with him before then.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Gotsis, while undersized a bit seems like a natural at tackle, i can't imagine them moving him to DE.

I know we will miss Jamea and Sneezy next year but i would bet any money that Roof and Co. will have the new guys coached up and ready, i expect a quality defense next year.
I hear ya...He is just so athletic for his size that it wouldn't surprise me to play there.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
That is a very out-dated mindset (in bold).

With today's hurry-up offenses, with many more plays being run that are designed to spread gassed defenses out, if you have a T-Fr. that is able to help, then he needs to be in the rotation to help us win games in the now rather than hoping that he's a player as a 5th yr. Sr.

It is the HC's job to recruit well each year, worry about the current season's issues and then RS only where we have a legit logjam ,like at A-back

Our DL could have used a lot more players getting rotated in this year.

If the first string guy is #1, and 2a and 2b are of equal talent/perceived contribution, then I am going to redshirt 2a or 2b if one is a true freshman. It's impossible to predict if the true freshman will/will not improve during the season with real reps.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There are just too many unknowns to have a firm opinion on how good the line will be next year. For instance, at what level will Commishiong be ready to contribute? None of us really know that. He could have been tearing it up in practice all year and we wouldn't know. Will the light go on for Kallon? That is a huge question and none of us really have a clue. If yes, we may have something going on. One thing I feel sure of is that Gotsis will be better. He has been improving and there is no reason, barring injury or illness, to suspect he won't continue to do so. I feel sure we can get Cummings type production out of a host of players. Our goal needs to be to elevate the play at DT though, and not just replace Euclid. DE is where I am worried. Dieke will not be hard to replace, Gamble was just as effective in the time I watched him out there. But Attaochu, on the other hand, will be. We need to find an answer, because I would hate to rely solely on a zone blitz scheme to get pressure.

Disagree with the holded statement. If Commissiong was tearing it up I expect the coaches would have burned the redshirt. I think folks are confusing positive reports/"tearing it up" as relative to the starters vs. relative to the incoming freshman. I remember hearing that Pat Gamble was tearing it up as a redshirt last year.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
sounds like a winner to me!

besides, the new AD and CPJ themselves have taken the academic excuse off the table. bobinski is on the record stating our standards are a plus and should be a positive in recruiting. when the guy in charge says that's the way it is, well, the coaches better find a way to get it done.

my personal feeling is we need to broaden the recruiting net--which i think we're trying to do. the GT academic brand just doesn't play as well as we'd like in the heart of SEC country. whereas, in other areas of the country, the GT academic brand could go much further in swaying a recruit, IMO.

I wouldn't take things the AD says at face value. He's trying to build optimism and remove a defeatist attitude with his words. Despite Bobinski stating academics should be a positive, I heard him say on the radio with Chuck and Chernoff that there are certainly recruits that can't qualify for Tech.

You're right, the solution is to cast a wider net which is what we're doing. But that inherently comes with additional challenges i.e., time and money. I think the general message he's trying to convey is that academics are a hurdle, and we'll work hard to get the resources to overcome it.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
We will be a very young team on both sides of the ball next year. If we manage to put together an 8-9 win season next year we will have a lot of momentum going into 2015 season and should return nearly everybody.

I wouldn't take things the AD says at face value. He's trying to build optimism and remove a defeatist attitude with his words. Despite Bobinski stating academics should be a positive, I heard him say on the radio with Chuck and Chernoff that there are certainly recruits that can't qualify for Tech.

You're right, the solution is to cast a wider net which is what we're doing. But that inherently comes with additional challenges i.e., time and money. I think the general message he's trying to convey is that academics are a hurdle, and we'll work hard to get the resources to overcome it.

The other half of the story is that MBob also said in that radio interview that the impact of Academics is greatly over-stated by many/most GT fans, to the extent that it has taken on the status of an Urban Myth and has a life of its own at this point.

Kinda ironic that as we have this discussion we are about to enroll a Recruit that couldn't get past the NCAA clearinghouse, and we are recruiting a JUCO from GMC.

When this happens it is kinda hard to keep blaming academics for our Recruiting woes.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The other half of the story is that MBob also said in that radio interview that the impact of Academics is greatly over-stated by many/most GT fans, to the extent that it has taken on the status of an Urban Myth and has a life of its own at this point.

Kinda ironic that as we have this discussion we are about to enroll a Recruit that couldn't get past the NCAA clearinghouse, and we are recruiting a JUCO from GMC.

When this happens it is kinda hard to keep blaming academics for our Recruiting woes.

Stop talking about the exception to the exception rule ;) Seriously though, can you refute any statements from those in the know that have said we have roughly 3 academic exceptions/year? Do you honestly think we can take as many JUCOs as factory schools?

Maybe the hill is getting more flexible as @gtdrew suggested they might be going forward.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

One thing that MBob has done is increase the recruiting staff and budget. Ted Roof is s good recruiter. If the GT fan base has the patience, the recruiting will greatly improve.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

You a dwag?

You a dwag?
Are you?

Every time you don't agree with someone that doesn't make anyone a uga fan, if you include Chan's tenure plus CPJ's tenure we have had 11 mediocre seasons out of 12 and the current guy we have isn't really much better than Chan.

Would you ask MBob is he a dwag, those were his words from his weekly radio interview?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I agree with this. Not only that, but he's brand new and I'm sure he's chomping at the bit and full of ideas, all new guys are like this no matter which level of the organization they reside. I bet the brand new water boys are looking to implement new and improved systems of water distribution, too.

Also, he's fighting the completely idiotic public statements uttered by his predecessor. Not Drad, I'm talking about the now infamous and burdensome comments made by Dave Braine, I'm sure nobody needs to be reminded of those. What kid wants to come to a program where the head honcho says the winning plateau is 7 games (whether it's true or not)?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Why don't you post up exactly what he said? Based on your other post (all negative btw) i would guess you are taking it way out of context. I have to wonder about anyone who thinks our academic requirements and lack of exceptions from the hill are an urban legend and an excuse.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Great post, Boomergump. I look forward to reading your future analysis of our football team.

Our new AD efforts to breathe optimism in our fan base is probably mission impossible.