Looking Ahead- BB

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Great analysis.
I think Snoddy has a chance to make a push for real PT. He looks good on midlines, decent on triple options, and really hit or miss on basic dives. He has the ability to cut back quickly and pick up big yardage, but sometimes he gets himself in trouble doing that. The zone dive is pretty fundamental to our offense, so despite his success with midline and the triple, he definitely needs some consistency on the dive.

bigjdl

Georgia Tech Fan
Great write up ... the biggest trouble for me has been the consistent inability in the past few years to get 1-2 yards when we have really needed it. IMO a "triple option" team should be able to always get short yardage no matter where they are on the field. I look forward to a larger OL and a more decisive QB behind the helm. I think while ultimately having some a more consistent BB would be amazing, I think with the first two comes the third.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From your mouth to God's ear! If Zach weighed 230, we'd have another Ketani back there and all of us would be happy. Unfortunately, I think he's one of those people who simply don't carry much fat, no matter how hard they try. (Frankly, I look at my waistline and I hate those people. Unless they're playing for Tech, that is.) If he gets up to 220 - and I think he probably will - he'll be better at the dive. Boomer is right about pad level; more weight would help with that. But he's no slouch as is.

Laskey's problem is that he's got bad lean for a BB, and doesn't run behind his pad as others have pointed out. All the weight in the world won't help if he keeps running upright and doesn't learn to run lower to increase leverage on tacklers.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Laskey's problem is that he's got bad lean for a BB, and doesn't run behind his pad as others have pointed out. All the weight in the world won't help if he keeps running upright and doesn't learn to run lower to increase leverage on tacklers.
Hmmmmm. Yet this doesn't have to be a detriment for some players:

True, Zach needs about 25 lbs more to be another Ketani, but pad level doesn't necessarily have the effect you posit here. Like I say, we'll know soon enough.

Well, back to the recruiting angst.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Hmmmmm. Yet this doesn't have to be a detriment for some players:

True, Zach needs about 25 lbs more to be another Ketani, but pad level doesn't necessarily have the effect you posit here. Like I say, we'll know soon enough.

Well, back to the recruiting angst.

Kettani's form from 1-5 yards is textbook for a BB...behind the pads, low to maintain leverage.

He also had some pretty good blocking on that play.

I'm a Laskey fan. I think GT fans underrate him...a lot. I'd just like to see him play with better form consistently. He will be the starter in 2014 barring a major learning curve jump from Custis or better instincts from Snoddy.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Speaking of form. Can someone explain to me why's it's necessary our BB's start in a 3 point stance as opposed to a two point that other RBs from other offenses start in? Does it really make a difference?

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
The triple option turns into a much slower play if you have the BB standing up.

Teams that run it from the shotgun recognize this and bend it a little more inside to make up for the decreased speed.

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow

I disagree. I think he runs well behind his pads and has excellent lean. Looking back on ZL, how many times can you remember him not falling forward for the extra yardage? That doesn't happen if your running upright and not behind your pads. I think the tendency is to look at ZL and because of his height to assume he runs high. Also, I love that size in the passing game down field. He's already proved he's got some of the best hands on the team IMO and he hangs onto the ball. I do agree that most GT fans under estimate him. I'm thinking he has Mike London's attention up at UVA.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. I think he runs well behind his pads and has excellent lean. Looking back on ZL, how many times can you remember him not falling forward for the extra yardage? That doesn't happen if your running upright and not behind your pads. I think the tendency is to look at ZL and because of his height to assume he runs high. Also, I love that size in the passing game down field. He's already proved he's got some of the best hands on the team IMO and he hangs onto the ball. I do agree that most GT fans under estimate him. I'm thinking he has Mike London's attention up at UVA.

I agree with Laskey in the passing game. I actually think CPJ needs to utilize him more in that aspect. Probably the best receiving BB we've had.

I just don't think he runs with great form or leverage. Rarely do you see defenders bounce off him like we did with Ant or Dwyer. Those guys just plowed through people (see Dwyer's annihilation of that UVA DB) and kept on trucking. Laskey, for his size, should have more of that...just my opinion.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I really like Laskey as a runner and I agree he gets overlooked by a lot of people. I disagree with you a little bit about his posture as a runner but it is not a big deal. Zach is a highly motivated runner. He runs HARD and he fights HARD every carry. The passion is obvious. He hits the hole fast and he is very good at picking up his feet in the trash and finding a good route on the interior. He could use some more size and strength and yes, IMHO, a little lower pad level. He may not be as natural a runner as some guys. I'll try to use an analogy. When you watch the worlds best swimmers, golfers, pitchers etc, they are usually very smooth and efficient in their movements. They play to great effect without sometimes even looking like they are working hard at all. Well, usually the best football runners are much the same way. Zach really isn't like that. He generally thrashes about and really looks like he is working hard. Even when he breaks free in the clear he is really working hard to pick the feet up and put them down. It is not uncommon to see him stumbling, getting out ahead of his feet, while mechanically running in the open field. I agree he is a pretty good receiver, especially in that he usually goes against LBs in coverage. He will catch the ball. I can't ever remember a drop.

Part of why I am excited about Custis is because he appeared so natural as a runner on his HS film. He has an economy of motion and plays lower, allowing for greater cutting ability. We will see how it translates to the college level this spring, but I believe him to be a natural. The level of body control he ran with in HS was pretty uncommon.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I hope that Custis is just so damned good that he wins the starting position. Iirc Sims won the BB starting job as a total newcomer to the position so it's not out of the question.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Custis could technically still redshirt, correct?

Just a thought - if Laskey and Snoddy make some strides and become a potent 1-2 punch, preserving Custis for another year and giving him more time to learn might be a good thing.

I don't think that happens, but just musing

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Custis could technically still redshirt, correct?

Just a thought - if Laskey and Snoddy make some strides and become a potent 1-2 punch, preserving Custis for another year and giving him more time to learn might be a good thing.

I don't think that happens, but just musing

Yup...Custis can technically still "redshirt" since his college clock hasn't started nor has he even redshirted.

Let's hope Laskey and Custis stay healthy...and Snoddy's development takes a big leap. We are woefully thin after the first 2 BBs. Maybe Donovan Wilson cross trains or moves over full time considering AB depth is alot better than BB depth.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see Trey Klock used not only at TE but at BB also. Could you imagine him on a simple dive play. D***, that is scary. Get the blank out of the way.