Look back at our 2017 schedule

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
We played uga's best team since 1980. We played Miami's best team since they joined the ACC. We played a Clemson team that made the playoffs three years in a row. We were scheduled to play the only undefeated team in the FBS. We had four monsoon games all on the road. The original schedule had us playing Miami, Wake, and Clemson in a row with all having bye weeks before they played us. Duke had an off week and the Army game to prepare for us.

My point is that we will be getting the 2018 schedule soon. We will spend the entire off season speculating about wins and losses. I will happily participate, but it is pretty meaningless after all. Who would have expected UCF to wind up #6 in the final polls and get some first place votes? Who would have expected uga's starting QB to go down in the 3rd game and they would make it to the final game? That Miami would win eleven games the way they did and then get blown out by lowly Pitt? That Duke would get pounded by Army and then pound us. That we would put up over 600 yds of offense against Tennessee and lose. That we wouldn't make a bowl but the Coastal winner needed a miracle to beat us and we beat the Coastal runner up.
Something to consider when the schedule comes out. And that is why I adore college football.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
We played uga's best team since 1980. We played Miami's best team since they joined the ACC. We played a Clemson team that made the playoffs three years in a row. We were scheduled to play the only undefeated team in the FBS. We had four monsoon games all on the road. The original schedule had us playing Miami, Wake, and Clemson in a row with all having bye weeks before they played us. Duke had an off week and the Army game to prepare for us.

My point is that we will be getting the 2018 schedule soon. We will spend the entire off season speculating about wins and losses. I will happily participate, but it is pretty meaningless after all. Who would have expected UCF to wind up #6 in the final polls and get some first place votes? Who would have expected uga's starting QB to go down in the 3rd game and they would make it to the final game? That Miami would win eleven games the way they did and then get blown out by lowly Pitt? That Duke would get pounded by Army and then pound us. That we would put up over 600 yds of offense against Tennessee and lose. That we wouldn't make a bowl but the Coastal winner needed a miracle to beat us and we beat the Coastal runner up.
Something to consider when the schedule comes out. And that is why I adore college football.

Excellent points! However, I must take issue with your assertion that the whole exercise is "meaningless". It is not meaningless when you consider that we will see once again the lengths that the ACC will go to in order to shaft Georgia Tech. It is truly extraordinary the creativity displayed year after year by the Atlantic Coast Conference to accommodate our opponents wishes.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

And for the want of a kicker, we would have won 8 and had an opportunity to win a 9th. Even with the rain and schedule.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Don’t forget Duke!

Yeah, no matter how hard I try I can’t forget Duke.

Other than Tennessee, no other team had the same time to prepare for us as Duke. They had Army and a bye week right before we played them. Scheduling was definitely to their benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I rarely get upset about losing to Top Ten teams. Losing to Duke, Virginia and worst Tennessee team on 40 years however.....that's another story entirely.

I do COMPLETELY agree that the speculation before the start of every season about wins and losses son the schedule is a rather meaningless exercise. Much like pre-season polls, no one has ANY idea before toe meets leather....