Longestday's GTvUL Offense Review

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Why is he not posting here? Must have missed something

He was tired of a couple jack wagons he got into it with.

He still posts on sting talk and YouTube and Twitter. You can find him there and let him know you appreciate his content / miss seeing it here.

I get the feeling that he opted out of some of the negativity here. I think it’s unfortunate and have messaged to say the same. Maybe if enough of us here do that it would change his decision.

That said I don’t blame him. Those cut ups take a TON of work and fans who are ignorant to our scheme and wanna moan and cry about imagined issues despite recognizing they’re not educated on the scheme must be infuriating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, the moderators made an informed decision to attract the bbuzzoff/gtsportstalk vibe.

Losing content providers like @Longestday comes with the territory.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Fwiw, the moderators made an informed decision to attract the bbuzzoff/gtsportstalk vibe.

Losing content providers like @Longestday comes with the territory.
Fake news.

The rules have been consistent and the ability for folks to report posts against the rules has remained consistent. Unfortunately some would rather take the issues elsewhere - either by derailing threads or to another board - rather than help make this community better.

If folks don't see that the mods are typically glass half full and promote positive things re: GT, then they're missing it. What we're not going to do is intentionally make this a sunshine and rainbows board where dissent and discourse can't happen. For every PM/complaint I get about "all the negativity", I probably get 2x-3x from those who think this is a "CPJ can do no wrong" board and accepts mediocrity. It's really quite incredible that we have people claiming the board has jumped the shark in both directions.

All of the above is not entirely directed at your post; rather it's one attempt to hopefully get this discussion from creeping into every single thread. The banned list has far more trolls/bbuzzoff/gtsportstalk vibe than the few who are here testing the boundaries of the rules in that direction.

I'm guessing @Longestday will read this even though he's choosing not to post. Out of respect for my PM exchange with him a few weeks ago, I won't share publicly what we talked about privately. All I'll say he has a right to feel the way he feels and it's his decision. We certainly miss his insight and hope he decides to make this board and GT better with his contributions. I consider him an asset to GT, not just GTSwarm and the larger online GT community.

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
He was tired of a couple jack wagons he got into it with.

He still posts on sting talk and YouTube and Twitter. You can find him there and let him know you appreciate his content / miss seeing it here.

I get the feeling that he opted out of some of the negativity here. I think it’s unfortunate and have messaged to say the same. Maybe if enough of us here do that it would change his decision.

That said I don’t blame him. Those cut ups take a TON of work and fans who are ignorant to our scheme and wanna moan and cry about imagined issues despite recognizing they’re not educated on the scheme must be infuriating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My confusion with this is that if that’s what drove him away, you then go to stingtalk which is one of the most negative and condensending boards out there. The entire site is personal jabs and internet tough guys trying to one up each other every posts. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, this site has 10x more actual sport discussion and X and O type discussion. But to each their own.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
My confusion with this is that if that’s what drove him away, you then go to stingtalk which is one of the most negative and condensending boards out there. The entire site is personal jabs and internet tough guys trying to one up each other every posts. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, this site has 10x more actual sport discussion and X and O type discussion. But to each their own.

The positive side of stingtalk is that it doesn't give trolls a safe space.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
For every PM/complaint I get about "all the negativity", I probably get 2x-3x from those who think this is a "CPJ can do no wrong" board and accepts mediocrity. It's really quite incredible that we have people claiming the board has jumped the shark in both directions.
I had one accuse us of being in CPJ's pocket in response to a warning I sent for a personal attack on another member here who happened to be supportive of CPJ. 98% of the people that I warn immediately lay the victim card down and cry foul but it's typically along the lines of "how is this a personal attack" or "they started it". This one was unique in that they thought they were warned because they were against CPJ. At least now I have a thread I can point people to whenever we get accused of being a "pro-CPJ" site.

Now, when I see someone on the ledge, I like to think that I'll try to talk them down off of the ledge using a supportive tone. As opposed to telling them they are crazy or mock them. If I decide that they are too far away from my own belief, I don't see it as my responsibility to persuade them. Agree to disagree and move on to other things. Don't turn it into your life's mission to prove them wrong. It's really not worth it; there are no prizes.

As for the whole positive vs. negative issue, let's actually call it what it is. There is a line drawn in the sand between CPJ supporters and CPJ dissenters. Who gets to yell the loudest will be entirely dependent on how each game and the season goes. Will banning all negativity (this isn't just the dissenters unfortunately) here result in more wins? The best "cure" for this is to start winning games and I have a lot of hope and believe very strongly that this season can be turned around. Well, it has turned around, we just need to keep going in that direction.

And lastly, I realize this is terribly off-topic from the original post and if it continues we'll splinter this discussion into the lounge.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fake news.

The rules have been consistent and the ability for folks to report posts against the rules has remained consistent. Unfortunately some would rather take the issues elsewhere - either by derailing threads or to another board - rather than help make this community better.

If folks don't see that the mods are typically glass half full and promote positive things re: GT, then they're missing it. What we're not going to do is intentionally make this a sunshine and rainbows board where dissent and discourse can't happen. For every PM/complaint I get about "all the negativity", I probably get 2x-3x from those who think this is a "CPJ can do no wrong" board and accepts mediocrity. It's really quite incredible that we have people claiming the board has jumped the shark in both directions.

All of the above is not entirely directed at your post; rather it's one attempt to hopefully get this discussion from creeping into every single thread. The banned list has far more trolls/bbuzzoff/gtsportstalk vibe than the few who are here testing the boundaries of the rules in that direction.

I'm guessing @Longestday will read this even though he's choosing not to post. Out of respect for my PM exchange with him a few weeks ago, I won't share publicly what we talked about privately. All I'll say he has a right to feel the way he feels and it's his decision. We certainly miss his insight and hope he decides to make this board and GT better with his contributions. I consider him an asset to GT, not just GTSwarm and the larger online GT community.

I had one accuse us of being in CPJ's pocket in response to a warning I sent for a personal attack on another member here who happened to be supportive of CPJ. 98% of the people that I warn immediately lay the victim card down and cry foul but it's typically along the lines of "how is this a personal attack" or "they started it". This one was unique in that they thought they were warned because they were against CPJ. At least now I have a thread I can point people to whenever we get accused of being a "pro-CPJ" site.

Now, when I see someone on the ledge, I like to think that I'll try to talk them down off of the ledge using a supportive tone. As opposed to telling them they are crazy or mock them. If I decide that they are too far away from my own belief, I don't see it as my responsibility to persuade them. Agree to disagree and move on to other things. Don't turn it into your life's mission to prove them wrong. It's really not worth it; there are no prizes.

As for the whole positive vs. negative issue, let's actually call it what it is. There is a line drawn in the sand between CPJ supporters and CPJ dissenters. Who gets to yell the loudest will be entirely dependent on how each game and the season goes. Will banning all negativity (this isn't just the dissenters unfortunately) here result in more wins? The best "cure" for this is to start winning games and I have a lot of hope and believe very strongly that this season can be turned around. Well, it has turned around, we just need to keep going in that direction.

And lastly, I realize this is terribly off-topic from the original post and if it continues we'll splinter this discussion into the lounge.

I'd like the moderators for what they do. It's only a labor of love and they are often in a no-win situation. This site is by far the best out there; @Longestday has great stuff and cares a lot about GT; that's what matters. Thanks for posting this.

The ignore feature works real well. Plus staying away from posts that aren't GT related. I've found that focusing on what we agree on is much better for my emotional health than what we disagree on. I know there are some people who I vehemently disagree with politically but like their GT posts. I have friends in person like that where we just stay away from politics and enjoy the rest of life. It would be good if it could be that way on this site or any site but it's not the way we seem to be hard wired.

Namaste.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'd like the moderators for what they do. It's only a labor of love and they are often in a no-win situation. This site is by far the best out there; @Longestday has great stuff and cares a lot about GT; that's what matters. Thanks for posting this.

The ignore feature works real well. Plus staying away from posts that aren't GT related. I've found that focusing on what we agree on is much better for my emotional health than what we disagree on. I know there are some people who I vehemently disagree with politically but like their GT posts. I have friends in person like that where we just stay away from politics and enjoy the rest of life. It would be good if it could be that way on this site or any site but it's not the way we seem to be hard wired.

Namaste.
Well said on all counts. I also appreciate the mods and this site. I miss @Longestday also, but respect that he has the absolute right to decide where he wants to post. Peace to all.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
I like this site and agree with this statement "This site is by far the best out there". I use to read a bunch on one well known GT fan site that seems to have become a home for posters who are long winded and can't seem to give up on a disagreement. This place is very entertaining. I'm not familiar with Longestdays, but I too hope he comes back. The guy seems to be very knowledgeable.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
The positive side of stingtalk is that it doesn't give trolls a safe space.
Only because those irregular trolls cannot match up to the trolling abilities of the regular members of that board.

That being said I can see why LongestDays may find it easier to handle the trolling there. When a poster responds to one of his videos with comments about his mom, it’s easier to ignore it because pretty much every poster there only responds with comments about each other’s moms.

In a board where that isn’t the default behavior, criticisms and trolls cannot be dismissed as easily.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When you wrestle with a pig, the pig has fun and you get dirty.

In other words, use the ignore button liberally. It really is your friend.

That said, there’s a certain poster on here with a butt load of posts who I used to lock horns with regularly and sometimes still do. Sometimes our “discussions” got down right ugly. Somehow we have learned to have civil discourse. If we can do it, anybody can.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

As you know, this has nothing to do with my post. We had several discussions about it in the early days of the forum. I don't care whether people post in favor of CPJ or against him or whatever as long as they have data and reasons. When people are posting data and reasons, then that promotes rational discussion and keeps the emotions in check. When we allow people to post baseless opinions as fact, then we set up scenarios in which bullying happens. The loudest voices drown out the rational voices.