Long Island, Baseball

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Who is Long Island? I misread and was looking into Long Beach stats. For those interested, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIU_Brooklyn .

They are awful (0-6) at baseball this year. And a 133 RPI last year. But last year in the first 6 games they beat Northeastern, Penn State and Washington State.

Anyway 4PM start, then we have Kennesaw State Wednesday. I know I shouldn't overlook any team and they had three good wins early in the season last year, but really would have preferred only one mid-week game this week and not taking the RPI hit by playing them.

1677500578085.png

2022 Season Summary
1677500652471.png

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Who is Long Island? I misread and was looking into Long Beach stats. For those interested, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LIU_Brooklyn .

They are awful (0-6) at baseball this year. And a 133 RPI last year. But last year in the first 6 games they beat Northeastern, Penn State and Washington State.

Anyway 4PM start, then we have Kennesaw State Wednesday. I know I shouldn't overlook any team and they had three good wins early in the season last year, but really would have preferred only one mid-week game this week and not taking the RPI hit by playing them.

View attachment 14054

2022 Season Summary
View attachment 14055
They made a regional last year I’m pretty sure

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I did not realize that Warren Nolan covers everything, but the site has live Baseball RPI ratings: https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2023/rpi-live

I’d stick with the baseball people like D1 baseball, but it’s still interesting.
Their RPI is still using last year's results plus this year's early results and the RPI's are seriously wacky at this stage, but they'll be good to watch later this year. Like Boyd's World.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Their RPI is still using last year's results plus this year's early results and the RPI's are seriously wacky at this stage, but they'll be good to watch later this year. Like Boyd's World.
RPI ONLY uses current season's data. Here's the input:

1) Games played between Division1 opponents
2) Location of game (home, away, neutral)
3) Result of game (win, loss, or tie)

And here's the formula:
  • 50%: the combined winning percentage of all opponents
  • 25%: the combined winning percentage of all opponents of those opponents
  • 25%: a teams own winning percentage adjusted for location
It's a simple calculation. It's also an imperfect way to "rank" teams.... mainly because there's not enough cross- pollination between east & west teams. This fact likely helps east coast teams... but I can't prove that.

The output before... say... mid-April is not worth anything. Need those opponents & opponents of opponents winning % to get established.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Maybe give Schmolke another shot today - see if he can throw strikes this time?

Sounds good since we aren't playing today. But I get your point.

Put him in when we have a lead and see if he or Samol can throw strikes. You'd think we could figure that out in scrimmages but apparently not. Maybe increase the consequences of throwing balls in scrimmage?

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Maybe give Schmolke another shot today - see if he can throw strikes this time?
I believe Hall said that Dalton Smith would be getting the start Tuesday during his post-game press conference on RamblinWreck.com. After that, who starts the rest of the week is anyone's guess per Hall's comments. I'm assuming he just doesn't want to give any info to Georgia as to who to prepare for, as Brown and Finley did nothing this weekend to demote them from being a weekend starter. I would guess that Logan would start as well if healthy, but that situation seems to be murky.

Hall did indicate that Schmolke and Samol will get their shot to pitch again this week with 5 games, and that they need to keep getting opportunities to figure things out. I had assumed that Long Island would have been a perfect opportunity to give Schmolke another shot, but Hall and Borrell know their players better than I do.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds good since we aren't playing today. But I get your point.

Put him in when we have a lead and see if he or Samol can throw strikes. You'd think we could figure that out in scrimmages but apparently not. Maybe increase the consequences of throwing balls in scrimmage?
Coming down hard on another GT Navy Nuke…c’mon, shipmate!

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe Hall said that Dalton Smith would be getting the start Tuesday during his post-game press conference on RamblinWreck.com. After that, who starts the rest of the week is anyone's guess per Hall's comments. I'm assuming he just doesn't want to give any info to Georgia as to who to prepare for, as Brown and Finley did nothing this weekend to demote them from being a weekend starter. I would guess that Logan would start as well if healthy, but that situation seems to be murky.

Hall did indicate that Schmolke and Samol will get their shot to pitch again this week with 5 games, and that they need to keep getting opportunities to figure things out. I had assumed that Long Island would have been a perfect opportunity to give Schmolke another shot, but Hall and Borrell know their players better than I do.
I’m hoping to maybe see Sabathia & Stanford out there tomorrow, as well.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
RPI ONLY uses current season's data. Here's the input:

1) Games played between Division1 opponents
2) Location of game (home, away, neutral)
3) Result of game (win, loss, or tie)

And here's the formula:
  • 50%: the combined winning percentage of all opponents
  • 25%: the combined winning percentage of all opponents of those opponents
  • 25%: a teams own winning percentage adjusted for location
It's a simple calculation. It's also an imperfect way to "rank" teams.... mainly because there's not enough cross- pollination between east & west teams. This fact likely helps east coast teams... but I can't prove that.

The output before... say... mid-April is not worth anything. Need those opponents & opponents of opponents winning % to get established.

Yeah it’s actually better for your RPI to lose earlier in the season b/c half the value comes from opponents’ win % which is volatile early. Agree not worth using it to draw conclusions until you get a lot of “cross pollination” between teams.

I’d assume lack of East/West games would just help whichever is worse look better than they would. So hard to say without the games being played.

One thing I personally pay more attention to is the conference roll ups as there are just so many more games for sample size. ACC tends to do better vs SEC in RPI than the human polls. Which is frustrating as there does seem to be some inherent bias there.