Loaded!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
a few questions, I was not able to go yesterday. I'm not worried about our running backs, the problem will be getting all of them playing time.
But my questions is on the OL and I know you watch them also as you know they are back bone of the offense. Reading on here I took it one of our starters was out . Which one was it ? How did they look ? Did any of the backup look to be ready to help this year ?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We had a starting OT in red. He was walking around... so I expect him to return.

The other OT was having trouble with the DE.

Will was moved out to OT and Shamir slotted into guard at one point. I don't recall how long and if it stayed that way. They both did well.

The O line had a rough start... or the D line had a great start. This changed as the scrimmage progressed.

The second team O clearly won the day over the second D.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone else feel like the team is loaded at BBack and Slot Back? Wow, that depth is amazing and amazingly talented.

Mills, QW, Benson, Howard!!!!!!!

JJ Green, Qua, Lynch, and Nate!!!!!

Did anyone else watch Mills putting in extra work!
Does anyone else feel like the team is loaded at BBack and Slot Back? Wow, that depth is amazing and amazingly talented.

Yes; I agree it is amazing!! Then you add in the QB's and wow up another notch!!! Then you add in the WR's of which there is depth there also!!!! Longest; I have been watching Tech since 1955 when I was 9 yrs old , and I have NEVER - Ever seen this much quality depth!!! And the OL first 7 guys are very good. We just don't know about the rest of the Ol. I have never seen this much fan excitement!

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I did and it was not punishment. I ask him at Fan Day if he had a license to drive that sled and he responded by saying he felt he needed to put in extra work since he got so few touches in the scrimmage. He was very involved with fan interaction at Fan Day and seemed to be in great spirits.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am impressed by the quality depth we have. We can actually thank 2015 for that. Our young guys got a ton of playing time that they would not have gotten if the team had been healthy. I guess we can look at 2015 as an investment. Now we should start seeing the ROI.

I think we will be okay on defense. We kinda know what we have there.

I am surprised by the QB competition. It is good to have, but going into the UT game without really knowing who we have in that spot is a little worriesome. CPJ probably knows who gives us the best shot at winning game 1, and he will play that person. My hope is that someone really starts separating themselves at that spot and the person that gives us the best shot at winning game 1 will still be the guy that gives us the best shot at winning in November. Sometimes that isn't the case and someone isn't ready to take the reigns until a couple games in. Watson was that way at Clemson in 2014. When that is the case it leaves you feeling like you left some things on the table, and you don't want to feel that way when you start the season with a team that has the depth and experience this team has.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Yeah we got both talent and experience at all the spots on O. We need health, leadership, and attitude to eclipse 2014. Although JT individually got better over time, it's no surprise to me that 2014 was his best year. We won't be better at quarterback, but we have a chance to be more productive.

Johnson told the Brunch crowd that this could be the best OL he has had at GT. Stansbury told the same crowd that CPJ is a great football coach, and that we have a chance against anybody with him coaching. Mbob would not even answer questions about CPJ being our coach for the next season.
Good to hear from someone who went to the brunch. If I had come up yesterday, I would definitely have gone too

alagold

Helluva Engineer
The key to this team (and most yrs) is the Oline.If we perform well with little injury,they will carry even a new QB since we have exp at all skill positions.If the Oline falters,everything slows or stops.That puts more pressure on a DEf that is questionable at this point.
The one weakness no one mentions might be size.Without Shamire we have one of the lightest lines in P5 ,if not THE lightest.Speed helps but pushing on big ,up to 320 lb, guys is tough.(see Clem)
Even the abacks are not big really.Size matters in blocking esp.I know,I did it.Speed and skill are important but size is not inconsequential.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel like the offense is loaded in general minus OL depth.....we should light it up this year if no OL injuries and once the qb settles in.

It's weird because on paper I don't think our OL depth is too bad, but the group as a whole seems to have been snakebit the last two years so in my head I feel like we need twice the depth of other teams due to swapping guys in every other week. Hope we've used up all our bad luck and the starting 5 finish the season.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
You know what, for what we do we really are loaded top to bottom. The right injuries can certainly derail things, but we look good. Certainly we aren't at an elite talent level and will lose some 1:1 matchups because of it. Hopefully not often enough to cost us games against the more athletic teams we face.

But we don't know yet how they'll respond when they get hit in the mouth. Are they going to dig deep and galvanize, or will they start making excuses and stop communicating?

buzz_wiser©

Helluva Engineer

That was awesome watching him pull that sled AFTER the scrimmage!