Lions take Rams to the cleaners

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Detroit got Jared Goff, two 1st-rounders in 2022 and 2023, plus a third-rounder this year for Matthew Stafford.

Stafford's a good QB, but his career completion percentage is only slightly better than Goff's (62% vs. 61%) and his career QB rating is actually slightly lower than Goff's (89 vs. 91).
In addition, Stafford is 32 and Goff is 26. Just my opinion, I think the Lions got the better of this trade by far.

Matthew Stafford trade grades: Rams continue unique strategy, Lions land multiple premium picks and Jared Goff - CBSSports.com

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Stafford is a better QB but the difference isn’t as great as ESPN is making it. Stanford puts up numbers because he has been allowed to, not because it’s necessary to win games. With Stafford now on a team trying to win, his numbers will shrink and we’ll finally see if he can actually manage a team to meaningful wins. The NBA is full of those type of “stat” players who don’t have to worry about winning - James Harden and Trae Young types.

Deleted member 2897

Detroit got Jared Goff, two 1st-rounders in 2022 and 2023, plus a third-rounder this year for Matthew Stafford.

Stafford's a good QB, but his career completion percentage is only slightly better than Goff's (62% vs. 61%) and his career QB rating is actually slightly lower than Goff's (89 vs. 91).
In addition, Stafford is 32 and Goff is 26. Just my opinion, I think the Lions got the better of this trade by far.

Matthew Stafford trade grades: Rams continue unique strategy, Lions land multiple premium picks and Jared Goff - CBSSports.com

I agree with your title. Stafford is a career loser. Good guy, good player, good stats. But doesn’t have winning in his DNA.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t dislike him. He and Mason both threw integral picks to help GT victories so I have no hate. Murray on the other hand...

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm a Lions fan who has grown to be a big Stafford fan. I hate to see him go, but he deserves the opportunity to play for a winning team and the Lions can certainly use the haul of draft picks to hopefully expedite our rebuild. And with Stafford fetching that, can you imagine what Deshaun Watson should get?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm a Lions fan who has grown to be a big Stafford fan. I hate to see him go, but he deserves the opportunity to play for a winning team and the Lions can certainly use the haul of draft picks to hopefully expedite our rebuild. And with Stafford fetching that, can you imagine what Deshaun Watson should get?
Stafford is a good QB, but the Lions are getting a comparable QB who is 6 years younger plus three high draft picks. Seems a lop-sided trade to me, and I'd say the Lions rebuild is off to a great start.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

There are Lions fans!!!! Brother if you willingly embrace that team as well as follow GT athletics you are indeed a true fan. Blessings on you. I don't follow the league all that much but the Lions have been down for so long it is a management issue, not a player or coach issue (parallels closely with GT imo). Do they have the management structure now to affect a successful rebuild even with the draft picks? Or will it be the same ol' same ol' with new names on the back of the jerseys?

having CJ drafted by that organization was heartbreaking. He is still a HOF player but would have loved to seen him elsewhere.

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow
There are Lions fans!!!! Brother if you willingly embrace that team as well as follow GT athletics you are indeed a true fan. Blessings on you. I don't follow the league all that much but the Lions have been down for so long it is a management issue, not a player or coach issue (parallels closely with GT imo). Do they have the management structure now to affect a successful rebuild even with the draft picks? Or will it be the same ol' same ol' with new names on the back of the jerseys?

having CJ drafted by that organization was heartbreaking. He is still a HOF player but would have loved to seen him elsewhere.

They just hired a new coach and GM in the last couple of weeks, so it's a little early to tell. This trade looks good for Detroit, now to see if this new regime can have a few more hits on draft day. Being a long time sidewalk Tech fan and Lions fan is tough at times.