Lineup for 2022-23

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Playing wings at the 4 spot only works if you have a legit post defender to protect the paint. Playing guys like Usher or Jalon Moore at the 4 when we are so deficient in the paint and on the boards creates mismatches in favor of the opposition. How often did we see Usher having to do heavly lifting in the post? Jalon Moore will fare no better. He's just not big enough on the defensive end.

Franklin may not be able to shoot from three, but he commands double teams when he gets the ball low. If you don't have a threat in the paint (no one to command double teams) that means that the 4-out defenders simply can belly up the Tech players on the perimeter and we are left to swing the ball around the perimeter endlessly. We absolutely need a player that is an offensive threat in the paint.

We need at least one guy who can block shots, hit the boards and command double teams when he has the ball in the low post. Howard could not produce in that role last year. Unless he has had a transformative off season, Howard is not going to be that guy. That leaves Franklin as the only proven player that has production in the paint.

I like Moore better as a jumbo wing (like Duane Ferrell) more than as an undersized 4. We need some bangers. Franklin is the only banger on the roster.
Franklin may have commanded double teams at South Alabama, but I’m doubtful you will see him doubled too often in conference. He will see guys as athletic as him nightly, and he just isn’t polished enough offensively.

Further, Franklin is listed at 6’7 - 220 and Moore is listed at 6’6 - 211. There’s not a big difference in their ability to play physical, but I just think that Jalon offers so much more on the offensive end.

We now have two strong options and it’s likely that our match-up dictates who he’s mins. For ex; Jalon mauled the Cuse zone a year ago, but I could Franklin struggling against it.

Just my perspective

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
My starters and backups:

PG - Sturdivant/Smith (but Smith is more of a unique talent; he gets any spot held wants with ball, if he can consistently stick mid-range jumper he forces collapses and open up our shooters; he’ll be a big tell for the season.)

SG- Kelly/Terry/Maxwell

SF - Coleman/J. Moore/Bagatskis

PF - Franklin/J. Moore/Hill

C - Howard/Martynov/Meka

A few+ interchangeable parts, but my view on spots.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We now have two strong options and it’s likely that our match-up dictates who he’s mins. For ex; Jalon mauled the Cuse zone a year ago, but I could Franklin struggling against it.

Jalon went 1-4 for 4 points with 2 assists in 15 minutes against Cuse last year. That was also his high last year outside of the clayton state game. I like his potential a lot but potential is about all we've seen at this point.

Anyways, I think a lot of people, and I'm one of them, have a tendency to look at a roster and create bigger rotations than what's actually going to happen.

Based on history I would guess we'd see something like

Sturdy/Kelly/Coleman/Franklin/Howard start with Smith/Meka coming in if Sturdy or Howard come out. After that I see probably whoever is ahead between Maxwell and Terry coming off the bench if any of the middle three come out. That would mean sliding Coleman to the 4 but he's 6-6 215 which is actually bigger than Moore by a very slight amount. Personally, I think that gives us too many issues, but Maxwell or Terry likely give us better offense than what Moore brings and if we're wanting more defense then Meka is the clear best option. I'm not real confident in saying Moore's defense at the 4 would be significantly better than Deebo's. That would be an 8 sometimes 9 rotation which is line with what Pastner has used in the past.

And if Moore takes a big step forward and does get the primary back up at the 4 spot, or even earns the starting spot, I would expect that to basically push one of Terry/Maxwell out of the usual rotation.

I think the actual best case scenario is that as we develop over the course of the year we start to see Franklin's minutes go down because that would mean both development for Moore and offensive production from all our wings to justify the smaller line up even against high level play which would be a big benefit going forward. Or that Meka develops an offensive game to allow him on the court at the 4. Until Pastner proves otherwise I think we need to expect probably an 8 man rotation come ACC play.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's assume the fault was Devoe's. But the question remains, who is going to move the defense this season? Ringing the perimeter with three point shooters is not going to be effective unless we can get the defense to leave one of them open.

Sturdivant is steady, but can he create? Smith can beat his man, but can he finish a play (with either pass or shot)? What has Coleman shown in terms beating a defender? Kelly showed promise.
Hopefully between Sturdivant and Smith we can generate some offense. As you said Smith has got to learn to pass or shoot off his dribble drives. Sturdivant may get better from more experience and become more confident. The wings have got to move more to get open.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I am not trying to be negative. I am trying to engage a discussion about how this team is going to function.
oh, its a GREAT question.Right now there is NO ,as in zero, guys that are proven scorers. Somebody will step up but until he ( and hopefully another or 2 ) does, we are sucking on Offense.

GT11

GT Athlete
oh, its a GREAT question.Right now there is NO ,as in zero, guys that are proven scorers. Somebody will step up but until he ( and hopefully another or 2 ) does, we are sucking on Offense.
Have two pure shooters in Coleman and Kelly. They perform as should and will widen the court and open the middle

StingU2

Jolly Good Fellow
Have two pure shooters in Coleman and Kelly. They perform as should and will widen the court and open the middle
I wouldn't classify Coleman and Kelly as pure shooters.... Dennis Scott, Mark Price, and Anthony Morrow were pure shooters, I always felt like the ball was going though the net when they shot the ball more often than not.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't classify Coleman and Kelly as pure shooters.... Dennis Scott, Mark Price, and Anthony Morrow were pure shooters, I always felt like the ball was going though the net when they shot the ball more often than not.

Coleman shot 41.3% from 3 last year.

Kelly shot 34.7% last year, but started 4-30 in his first 15. In the last 15 against primarily ACC competition he was 21 - 45 which is 46.7%.

Morrow as a freshman shot 36.5% and was 42.9% as a soph, 41.8% as a junior, and then 44.8% as a senior.

Scott as a freshman did hit a ridiculous 47.1% but as a soph he was at 39.7% and as a junior he was 41.4%.

Bonus. Devoe shot 39.3%, 42.7%, 40%, and 36.5%. And anyone would classify him as a pure shooter.

Deebo had a phenomenal year shooting by just about any comparison, and Kelly had a phenominal back half of the schedule shooting. Both need to be mor aggressive looking for their shot but they are absolutely pure shooters.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Coleman shot 41.3% from 3 last year.

Kelly shot 34.7% last year, but started 4-30 in his first 15. In the last 15 against primarily ACC competition he was 21 - 45 which is 46.7%.

Morrow as a freshman shot 36.5% and was 42.9% as a soph, 41.8% as a junior, and then 44.8% as a senior.

Scott as a freshman did hit a ridiculous 47.1% but as a soph he was at 39.7% and as a junior he was 41.4%.

Bonus. Devoe shot 39.3%, 42.7%, 40%, and 36.5%. And anyone would classify him as a pure shooter.

Deebo had a phenomenal year shooting by just about any comparison, and Kelly had a phenominal back half of the schedule shooting. Both need to be mor aggressive looking for their shot but they are absolutely pure shooters.
Thanks for posting this data. Memories are not always as accurate as Google's hard drive.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
My guess would be Sturdy/Kelly/Coleman/Franklin or Moore/Howard. Someone of the Smith, Terry, Maxwell group will be out of the rotation. Need Meka to be serviceable as a backup big.

Last edited:

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
New heights and weights are out as the Jackets report. Moore is 6-7 209, Franklin is 6-7-214, Martynov is a full 7-0, and Howard is 6-11 256. Deebo is 6-6, 218, and Kelly is 6-6, but 175 (eat more Varsity). Unfortunately Bagatski is 6-8 but only 175 (go to the Varsity with Kelly).

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
New heights and weights are out as the Jackets report. Moore is 6-7 209, Franklin is 6-7-214, Martynov is a full 7-0, and Howard is 6-11 256. Deebo is 6-6, 218, and Kelly is 6-6, but 175 (eat more Varsity). Unfortunately Bagatski is 6-8 but only 175 (go to the Varsity with Kelly).
What about the rest of the team?

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
If Memory serves:

Terry 6'2" 200 (+20lbs)
Sturdivant 6'3" 196 (gained an inch)
Deebo 6'6" 218lbs (did this change?)
Ja'von Franklin 6'7" 214 (+14lbs)
Deivon 6'1" 176 (same)
Martynov 7'0" 229 (+1 inch, minus 1 lb)
Maxwell 6'3" 205 (+1 inch, minus 4 lbs)
Freds & Pauls 6'8" 175
Miles 6'6" 175 (+1 inch, same weight)
Jalon Moore 6'7" 209 (+1 inch, +5lbs)
Jordan Meka 6'8" 219lbs (minus 4lbs)
Rodney Howard 6'11" 256lbs (+1 inch, +9 lbs) Videos of him look like he's in real good shape)
Jermontae Hill 6'6" 206 (+8 lbs)
Emmer Nichols 6'6" 219 (minus 1 lbs)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Memory serves:

Terry 6'2" 200 (+20lbs)
Sturdivant 6'3" 196 (gained an inch)
Deebo 6'6" 218lbs (did this change?)
Ja'von Franklin 6'7" 214 (+14lbs)
Deivon 6'1" 176 (same)
Martynov 7'0" 229 (+1 inch, minus 1 lb)
Maxwell 6'3" 205 (+1 inch, minus 4 lbs)
Freds & Pauls 6'8" 175
Miles 6'6" 175 (+1 inch, same weight)
Jalon Moore 6'7" 209 (+1 inch, +5lbs)
Jordan Meka 6'8" 219lbs (minus 4lbs)
Rodney Howard 6'11" 256lbs (+1 inch, +9 lbs) Videos of him look like he's in real good shape)
Jermontae Hill 6'6" 206 (=8 lbs)
Emmer Nichols 6'6" 219 (minus 1 lbs)
I like this roster.

If Rodney can continue to play like he did late last year this could be a good season. I like his built up body.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
The roster is quite balanced, both in terms of positions and class of eligibility (3-3-3-4 Frosh to Senior). While the roster has little in the way of proven productivity at any position at the ACC level (which is worrisome), we have lots of guys that have flashed. It will be a really intersting season to see if enough guys show consistent productivity for the team to reach critical mass and get back to winning.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The roster is quite balanced, both in terms of positions and class of eligibility (3-3-3-4 Frosh to Senior). While the roster has little in the way of proven productivity at any position at the ACC level (which is worrisome), we have lots of guys that have flashed. It will be a really intersting season to see if enough guys show consistent productivity for the team to reach critical mass and get back to winning.
IMO, this year’s team has to learn how to win. There’s no doubt that we have plenty of talent, but most of the guys haven’t been on the court in crunch time needing to execute to close out a game or protecting a short lead.

That’s usually the toughest hurdle for young teams. It will interesting to see who steps up and becomes the leader in those situations.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
IMO, this year’s team has to learn how to win. There’s no doubt that we have plenty of talent, but most of the guys haven’t been on the court in crunch time needing to execute to close out a game or protecting a short lead.

That’s usually the toughest hurdle for young teams. It will interesting to see who steps up and becomes the leader in those situations.
Just one guy that can take it to the hole disrupts a defense more than anything. It opens up the big man for a jam and opens up the perimeter for a three or he makes a basket. From last year the only one that showed the speed and quickness to do that was Smith, and if he improves his shot and passing in the off season, he has a chance to do good things