Lineup for 2022-23

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know this is bound to be off a bit, but here is my prediction on starters/minutes this year.

I agree that Sturdivant and Smith will share PG minutes. Maybe 25/15 unless Smith breaks out beyond expectations.

If Maxwell can stay healthy I believe we can expect stiff competition for minutes at the 2-3. Coleman should get 25-30 minutes; Kelly and Terry around 20 each with Maxwell getting the balance. This group could stretch their minutes if Pastner favors a small lineup.

Franklin and Howard will play as many minutes as their foul situation allows. Meka should get most of the remainder early. Martynov breaking into picture is a pleasant mystery.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I missed it, but to me, it will be interesting to see how the addition of Eskildsen affects our front court. IMO, his hiring is just as important as the players we have at the 4 and 5. Rodney Howard had a 7 game stretch towards the end of the season where he looked like the typical blossoming Reveno center. Can Eskildsen continue that development of Howard (and other post guys like Meka)? Can he add to their game and help "modernize" our post? Seems to me some of our recent post additions have the skillset to play on all 3 levels.

Will be interesting to watch. We have some returning players, but no one established like the foursome of Alvarado/Moses/Usher/Devoe that we had the privilege of counting on in recent years. This year's team can be a REALLY fun team if guys like Deivon/Deebo/Miles/Maxwell hit their stride.

The season is only 3 months away. Even with all the change, I'm really looking forward to the young guys spreading their wings and establishing themselves.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
What say you about the hoops roster for this season?

On the surface, losing the best pieces from a team that wasn't very good and not bringing in any 5* talent doesn't seem like this year is setup for a huge leap forward. What seems pretty settled is point with Sturdy and Deivon and Rodney at Center. There are four promising but still unproven guards in Maxwell, Coleman, Kelly and Terry. It seems likely that two of those four will start and the other two will get time as well. The last position seems rather up in the air from this (my) perspective. Will Moore or Franklin or possibly Meka be able to stand out or will the team function better with one of the other guards in the last spot? Here is my uniformed guess at the lineup:

PG: Study/Deivon
C: Howard
G: Coleman
G: Kelly
F/G: It up for grabs Franklin/Moore et al?

Seems likely that Freds will r/s. Does Jeromontae make a slash?

Since CJP likes to run about 8 guys are the 8 best: Study/Deivon/Howard/Coleman/Kelly/Franklin/Moore/Terry?

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
What say you about the hoops roster for this season?

On the surface, losing the best pieces from a team that wasn't very good and not bringing in any 5* talent doesn't seem like this year is setup for a huge leap forward. What seems pretty settled is point with Sturdy and Deivon and Rodney at Center. There are four promising but still unproven guards in Maxwell, Coleman, Kelly and Terry. It seems likely that two of those four will start and the other two will get time as well. The last position seems rather up in the air from this (my) perspective. Will Moore or Franklin or possibly Meka be able to stand out or will the team function better with one of the other guards in the last spot? Here is my uniformed guess at the lineup:

PG: Study/Deivon
C: Howard
G: Coleman
G: Kelly
F/G: It up for grabs Franklin/Moore et al?

Seems likely that Freds will r/s. Does Jeromontae make a slash?

Since CJP likes to run about 8 guys are the 8 best: Study/Deivon/Howard/Coleman/Kelly/Franklin/Moore/Terry?
Line up should depend a lot on the team being played . A good team can play small ball or big ball

glandon1960

Jolly Good Fellow
I know this is bound to be off a bit, but here is my prediction on starters/minutes this year.

I agree that Sturdivant and Smith will share PG minutes. Maybe 25/15 unless Smith breaks out beyond expectations.

If Maxwell can stay healthy I believe we can expect stiff competition for minutes at the 2-3. Coleman should get 25-30 minutes; Kelly and Terry around 20 each with Maxwell getting the balance. This group could stretch their minutes if Pastner favors a small lineup.

Franklin and Howard will play as many minutes as their foul situation allows. Meka should get most of the remainder early. Martynov breaking into picture is a pleasant mystery.
Most likely Jaylon Moore plays behind Franklin at the '4' spot (how much depends on his development in the off season) - possibly Deebo getting minutes there if they decide to go small. Based on his skill set, almost no chance Meka plays the power forward (limited offensive skills, less mobile on perimeter defense, etc), Martynov, on the limited film I saw, might be able to play offensively on perimeter some - not sure I saw quickness to play man to man out there.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Most likely Jaylon Moore plays behind Franklin at the '4' spot (how much depends on his development in the off season) - possibly Deebo getting minutes there if they decide to go small. Based on his skill set, almost no chance Meka plays the power forward (limited offensive skills, less mobile on perimeter defense, etc), Martynov, on the limited film I saw, might be able to play offensively on perimeter some - not sure I saw quickness to play man to man out there.

In my opinion, that is the most interesting battle on the roster. Who starts at the 4 spot?

Personally, I'll go out on a limb and say it is going to be Jalon simply because he is a more versatile scorer.

He's shown an ability to shoot it from the perimeter, so I think that plays to his advantage in terms of the minutes...assuming he has continued to develop.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I think there will be times we go Deebo at the 4 when we think we can get away from it. More so because of talent we have along the wings where being able to play Coleman, Kelly, and Maxwell should give us a lot of fire power.

I wouldn't say there is almost no chance for Meka at the 4. The reason is if we're already playing Franklin significant minutes there then we're already planning the offense around a non 3 point threat at that spot. Franklin went 0-2 last year from 3. Meka may not have the same moves as Franklin, but I'm not sure he would introduce a new weakness either. I think defensively it would be a big boost and so we are likely to see it some simply because of that.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
I think there will be times we go Deebo at the 4 when we think we can get away from it. More so because of talent we have along the wings where being able to play Coleman, Kelly, and Maxwell should give us a lot of fire power.

I wouldn't say there is almost no chance for Meka at the 4. The reason is if we're already playing Franklin significant minutes there then we're already planning the offense around a non 3 point threat at that spot. Franklin went 0-2 last year from 3. Meka may not have the same moves as Franklin, but I'm not sure he would introduce a new weakness either. I think defensively it would be a big boost and so we are likely to see it some simply because of that.
Sumbuddys gotta blossom this year and it will be interesting to see who it will be . Hopefully it will be multiple blossoms.
Cremins use to say that to be successful in D 1 , you had to have three NBA caliber players.

Tourneybound20

Georgia Tech Fan
I agree and have been thinking this team could be a pleasant surprise comprised of a roster of potential major level up candidates. The guy I think could be a game changer and emerge could be Jalon Moore.If you guys and gals remember late in the season he got some run.I remember thinking 'bull in a China shop'...he was active on both boards,could handle the ball and attack and even hit a three.The thing I noticed was the bench reaction to his aggressive play like they had seen it before as they celebrated him.I remember Matt Harpring's freshman year way back...came out of nowhere as a local recruit and was an impact player from day one.Moore might have cleaned some things up and have a similar effect.Kelly and Coleman have the bodies and skills to make one think they'll be closer to there final forms this year too.Both guys have NBA type games if they physically develop and keep working...their level up could be super impactfull giving us two big scoring wings who score it from everywhere.Howard will be a bully next year,carving out space under the hoop and protecting the rim crowding the middle.Meka could be another level up guy,the first up and under dunk he gets or smooth jump hook he lands I'll be chalking him up as another project big to progress in our system(fingers crossed).Maxwell like Deebo and Miles could be another impactfull level up...a guard that has the potential to be a ball dominant scorer with the confidence, pedigree and skill set to be a special college level player.Martynov is another guy who probably is evolving daily.I've noticed his body changing in the vids I've seen of him,old Hudl clips vs a new one I saw on a Twitter clip.I think by the season he could be ready to play some good minutes for us and eventually be an all conference player if he sticks around.With all these potential impact guys in addition to vets Smith and Sturdivant taking care of the ball with vet transfers Franklin and Terry potentially starting and being our best inside and outside players respectively.You might have the makings of a sleeping giant if a few of these guys take the next step.Depth,offensive punch,veteran ball handling/decision making,size and overall athleticism, toughness and coaching...makings for a tournament team.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Playing wings at the 4 spot only works if you have a legit post defender to protect the paint. Playing guys like Usher or Jalon Moore at the 4 when we are so deficient in the paint and on the boards creates mismatches in favor of the opposition. How often did we see Usher having to do heavly lifting in the post? Jalon Moore will fare no better. He's just not big enough on the defensive end.

Franklin may not be able to shoot from three, but he commands double teams when he gets the ball low. If you don't have a threat in the paint (no one to command double teams) that means that the 4-out defenders simply can belly up the Tech players on the perimeter and we are left to swing the ball around the perimeter endlessly. We absolutely need a player that is an offensive threat in the paint.

We need at least one guy who can block shots, hit the boards and command double teams when he has the ball in the low post. Howard could not produce in that role last year. Unless he has had a transformative off season, Howard is not going to be that guy. That leaves Franklin as the only proven player that has production in the paint.

I like Moore better as a jumbo wing (like Duane Ferrell) more than as an undersized 4. We need some bangers. Franklin is the only banger on the roster.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In my opinion, that is the most interesting battle on the roster. Who starts at the 4 spot?

Personally, I'll go out on a limb and say it is going to be Jalon simply because he is a more versatile scorer.

He's shown an ability to shoot it from the perimeter, so I think that plays to his advantage in terms of the minutes...assuming he has continued to develop.
You may be right, but I believe Franklin is counting on starter minutes or he would have transfered elsewhere. I omitted Moore in my post. I agree with you that he will get a lot of minutes at the 4. Thanks for pointing out my omission.

StingU2

Jolly Good Fellow
Sumbuddys gotta blossom this year and it will be interesting to see who it will be . Hopefully it will be multiple blossoms.
Cremins use to say that to be successful in D 1 , you had to have three NBA caliber players.
We haven't had 3 NBA players in probably 15yrs, most years we haven't had any!

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
A frightening reality is that even though Devoe would frequently use the high screen and take 2 and 3 defender with him as he drove into the paint, the rest of our guys did not find scoring opportunities even when one or two guys were left unguarded (Usher's man stayed home). Almost always it was Howard's man that was one to rotate on Devoe's drives. One would think that an unguarded big in the paint should have a field day.

It makes me shake my head that we couldn't exploit a situation where Devoe was commanding triple teams in the paint. Some of it may have been on Devoe for not finding open guys, but, unfortunately, I think much of the problem as the mindset of the open guys.

Now we don't even have Devoe to move the defense. Somebody has got to be able to move the D

Last edited:

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A frightening reality is that even though Devoe would frequently use the high screen and take 2 and 3 defender with him as he drove into the paint, the rest of our guys did not find scoring opportunities even when one or two guys were left unguarded (Usher's man stayed home). Almost always it was Howard's man that was one to rotate on Devoe's drives. One would think that an unguarded big in the paint should have a field day.

It makes me shake my head that we couldn't exploit a situation where Devoe was commanding triple teams in the paint. Some of it may have been on Devoe for not finding open guys, but, unfortunately, I think much of the problem as the mindset of the open guys.
If the guys are open, then who is responsible for getting them the ball? I am not sure I agree with you 100% that guys were open or that Devoe was triple teamed, but the off ball guys are supposed to get open and be ready to shoot or feed another open player. They can't do much if the ball isn't dealt to any open player.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's assume the fault was Devoe's. But the question remains, who is going to move the defense this season? Ringing the perimeter with three point shooters is not going to be effective unless we can get the defense to leave one of them open.

Sturdivant is steady, but can he create? Smith can beat his man, but can he finish a play (with either pass or shot)? What has Coleman shown in terms beating a defender? Kelly showed promise.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let's assume the fault was Devoe's. But the question remains, who is going to move the defense this season? Ringing the perimeter with three point shooters is not going to be effective unless we can get the defense to leave one of them open.

Sturdivant is steady, but can he create? Smith can beat his man, but can he finish a play (with either pass or shot)? What has Coleman shown in terms beating a defender? Kelly showed promise.
It's easy to take a contrary position and I see your points. I am more positive about this group than you.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I am not trying to be negative. I am trying to engage a discussion about how this team is going to function.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The flaw in last year's team was twofold. One, our offense was built around the idea that our five could function effectively at the elbow. Howard tried but it never fit for him.

Second, all the guys depended too much on Devoe and Usher. If one or both were off the deference was hard to overcome. The absence of those two could make other guys more effective.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that we had trouble at the 5, but my focus there was on defense and inconsistency on offense. I actually think that Howard was most comfortable at the elbow. he was effective setting screens at the top and distributing the ball from there. He was not a threat to shoot a jumper from the elbow, which is the reason I think most GT fans want to see a different scheme. However, if we were going to drop the Princeton sets, why did we recruit Martynov, a player well suited to the Princeton sets?

But, we'll see.

I also agree that the pieces did not fit well together last season and I am hopeful that the absence of Devoe and Usher does accomplish the needed re-set. But, if we are going to take advantage of shooting ability on the roster, someone is going to have to move the defense to give those shooters opportunities. The scheme by itself is not going to get shooters open. We are going to need playmakers.

On defense, we are going to need to be much better in the paint and the rebounding numbers, the 50-50 ball numbers and the turnover numbers have got to get better for us to push the needle.

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
The flaw in last year's team was twofold. One, our offense was built around the idea that our five could function effectively at the elbow. Howard tried but it never fit for him.

Second, all the guys depended too much on Devoe and Usher. If one or both were off the deference was hard to overcome. The absence of those two could make other guys more effective.