Linebaker Situation

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Back to the linebacker discussion. Do we have any more candidates in the pipeline? I think the young man from the lower division program we were evaluating went somewhere else. Just curious to know if we have any other prospects for linebacker help.

Go Jackets!

5277hike

Jolly Good Fellow
When talking about how to bake linebackers, no one mentioned Joe Harris. He still holds the Tech record for tackles in a season, and, in his 3 years playing at Tech, is number 8 all time in tackles. I still remember a game in which he single handedly shut down a vaunted Michigan State triple option.
I played wreck league basketball against Joe. I was 2 or 3 inches taller than him, but he was too strong and too good an athlete for me to do anything with.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Back to the linebacker discussion. Do we have any more candidates in the pipeline? I think the young man from the lower division program we were evaluating went somewhere else. Just curious to know if we have any other prospects for linebacker help.

Go Jackets!

Don't know of any candidates in the pipeline. While we will be missing production, there are some possible answers on the roster. This is the current roster of LBs:

2Andre WhiteLBSeniorHarrisburg, Pa.Texas A&M
4Braelen OliverLBR-SeniorDouglasville, Ga.Minnesota
33Tyson MeiguezLBR-SophomoreFairburn, Ga.Creekside H.S.
35Jacob CruzLBFreshmanKennesaw, Ga.North Cobb Christian School
37Harrison PeytonLBR-FreshmanSuwanee, Ga.Lambert H.S.
40Trenilyas TatumLBJuniorRiverdale, Ga.Mount Zion H.S.
44Kyle EffordLBR-FreshmanDacula, Ga.Dacula H.S.
45Ashton HeflinLBFreshmanNewnan, Ga.Newnan H.S.
51Nacari AshleyLBFreshmanMarietta, Ga.Marietta H.S.
52Austin DeanLBJuniorTampa, Fla.Rutgers
Taye SeymoreLBFreshmanAtlanta, GA

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
Efford wasn’t dressed for spring game, anyone know why? He was my favorite recruit of the 2022 class and I thought maybe Charlie and Eley leaving could mean playing time for him. His tape was awesome

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
He (Efford) was at the spring game and dressed out. I am not sure if he got any playing time or not. I know he was featured in an interview video early into spring camp. He has been on special teams some. Not sure what his upside is but so far he is just another name in the mix.

Go Jackets

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He (Efford) was at the spring game and dressed out. I am not sure if he got any playing time or not. I know he was featured in an interview video early into spring camp. He has been on special teams some. Not sure what his upside is but so far he is just another name in the mix.

Go Jackets
He was on the sidelines with jersey on but no pads when I saw him.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't know of any candidates in the pipeline. While we will be missing production, there are some possible answers on the roster. This is the current roster of LBs:

2Andre WhiteLBSeniorHarrisburg, Pa.Texas A&M
4Braelen OliverLBR-SeniorDouglasville, Ga.Minnesota
33Tyson MeiguezLBR-SophomoreFairburn, Ga.Creekside H.S.
35Jacob CruzLBFreshmanKennesaw, Ga.North Cobb Christian School
37Harrison PeytonLBR-FreshmanSuwanee, Ga.Lambert H.S.
40Trenilyas TatumLBJuniorRiverdale, Ga.Mount Zion H.S.
44Kyle EffordLBR-FreshmanDacula, Ga.Dacula H.S.
45Ashton HeflinLBFreshmanNewnan, Ga.Newnan H.S.
51Nacari AshleyLBFreshmanMarietta, Ga.Marietta H.S.
52Austin DeanLBJuniorTampa, Fla.Rutgers
Taye SeymoreLBFreshmanAtlanta, GA
Is the class column by eligibility or school year? Is White a Senior by academic progress or is this his last year of eligibility?

Suavehouse

Georgia Tech Fan
they both got to pick where to go after and yates played worse and graham got changed positions before quitting. maybe they should have stayed in our offense. both of them at a lower level of football too

i’ve just never understood why some players get so. many. excuses. but knight, and even more so graham and yates are this place’s darlings.

frankly none of them are very good and their position groups have likely been addition by their subtraction
I can’t speak for none of the other players mentioned but I can speak for one..KNIGHT. Because of the politics involved in college football Knight was dealt a dead man’s hand when PJ left. This kid could’ve left long before he did but stayed because he believed in the team and loved Tech despite how the coaching staff catfished him on playing time. Let me tell you FACTS not theory.. knight was the most athletic specimen on the defensive side of the ball(said by players and coaches FACTS).Was the fastest LB out of all DBsAnd WR (proven by catapult gear,plus players and coaches FACTS). Had 52 tackles in the 3years at Tech FACTS(graduated a year early) Knight is a ferocious tackler and VERY SKILLED AND SUPER FAST..which brings me to this, why leave tired LBs on the field no speed, no energy , depleted efforts when you have a player of that caliber standing on the sidelines, ready to go? Why not put fresh legs on the field to help your chances of winning games? It had nothing to do with his ability to play football, had nothing to do with knowing the plays in the play book and executing them, had nothing to do with his experience or capability to make plays. You don’t know what he’s capable of because TECH DIDNT ALLOW FANS TO SEE WHAT AN IMPACTFUL PLAYER HE WAS(and still is) during his time there.. because of name sakes and favoritism FACTS.. he’s humble , smart and mad as hell and yes he’s my son, who I am VERY PROUD OF. Charlotte got a steal picking him up(quote from athletic).FACTS. A PLAYER CAN ONLY BE AS GOOD AS THE COACHES ALLOW HIM TO SHOW HOW GOOD HE IS. YOU DON’T KNOW BECAUSE THEY WOULDN’T ALLOW HIM TO SHOW YOU..but that’s a done deal now.lol. He’s happy and blessed. You be blessed as well sir.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I can’t speak for none of the other players mentioned but I can speak for one..KNIGHT. Because of the politics involved in college football Knight was dealt a dead man’s hand when PJ left. This kid could’ve left long before he did but stayed because he believed in the team and loved Tech despite how the coaching staff catfished him on playing time. Let me tell you FACTS not theory.. knight was the most athletic specimen on the defensive side of the ball(said by players and coaches FACTS).Was the fastest LB out of all DBsAnd WR (proven by catapult gear,plus players and coaches FACTS). Had 52 tackles in the 3years at Tech FACTS(graduated a year early) Knight is a ferocious tackler and VERY SKILLED AND SUPER FAST..which brings me to this, why leave tired LBs on the field no speed, no energy , depleted efforts when you have a player of that caliber standing on the sidelines, ready to go? Why not put fresh legs on the field to help your chances of winning games? It had nothing to do with his ability to play football, had nothing to do with knowing the plays in the play book and executing them, had nothing to do with his experience or capability to make plays. You don’t know what he’s capable of because TECH DIDNT ALLOW FANS TO SEE WHAT AN IMPACTFUL PLAYER HE WAS(and still is) during his time there.. because of name sakes and favoritism FACTS.. he’s humble , smart and mad as hell and yes he’s my son, who I am VERY PROUD OF. Charlotte got a steal picking him up(quote from athletic).FACTS. A PLAYER CAN ONLY BE AS GOOD AS THE COACHES ALLOW HIM TO SHOW HOW GOOD HE IS. YOU DON’T KNOW BECAUSE THEY WOULDN’T ALLOW HIM TO SHOW YOU..but that’s a done deal now.lol. He’s happy and blessed. You be blessed as well sir.
Can't wait to see him shine for Charlotte!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I hope you get to see him take on the guard so the dt or de can make the tackle FOR A SMALL GAIN

Haven't seen that at Tech in about 10 years. Our lb get trucked and then the lineman and lb grab till a db comes to finish.

We have gone with lb that large safeties who run around blocks but make the play. High risk, high reward but it needs dl being good.

I have read that the Charlotte def coach wants a crusher at LB. I think it will be fun to watch. Thank you for letting your son come to gt.

Lil G

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope you get to see him take on the guard so the dt or de can make the tackle FOR A SMALL GAIN

Haven't seen that at Tech in about 10 years. Our lb get trucked and then the lineman and lb grab till a db comes to finish.

We have gone with lb that large safeties who run around blocks but make the play. High risk, high reward but it needs dl being good.

I have read that the Charlotte def coach wants a crusher at LB. I think it will be fun to watch. Thank you for letting your son come to gt.
Besides Charlie Thomas I agree. That dude punched outside his weight class. Didn’t send people backwards but stopped them on a dime head on.
On the topic, anybody remember Victor Alexander? My goodness please watch his YouTube highlights. He’d be tossed out of every game today.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I'm sorry things turned for D as they did while here. I wish him the best in the future and look forward to catching up with how he's doing at Charlotte.

For how many years did he and David Curry overlap? Or did they?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

How well did he know his assignments?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
How well did he know his assignments?
You know something about this?

Btw, if this was true, then, given Knight's talent level, it is yet another indictment of TFG and his "decision making". I always suspected that he wanted to favor players he had recruited on both sides of the ball, whatever their talent and experience; why else would you not run Mason 20 times a game? (Until Sims, of course.) He had a narrative about his challenges and dissing the talent of the players he inherited was a major part of it.

You do heave to give him points for consistency, I suppose.