Linebacker crosstrain to BBack

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
I heard the announcer say in the Army Navy game That Jeff Monken the coach of Army decided to move a Linebacker to the Bback role Because of the lack of size that he had with other backs; I believe that this guy started and he is a beast; This does make some since because if you think about it Linebackers are all about toughness and like to hit people and one of CPJ's pet peeves is that The Bbacks do not want to block are do not block affectively ; Bringing a big tough guy in that likes to hit and drag people for 10 yards is a no brainer . Could you imagine Brian Boulware Clemson's stout linebacker 6ft 235lb on a lead block play? OMG Just my thoughts

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I heard the announcer say in the Army Navy game That Jeff Monken the coach of Army decided to move a Linebacker to the Bback role Because of the lack of size that he had with other backs; I believe that this guy started and he is a beast; This does make some since because if you think about it Linebackers are all about toughness and like to hit people and one of CPJ's pet peeves is that The Bbacks do not want to block are do not block affectively ; Bringing a big tough guy in that likes to hit and drag people for 10 yards is a no brainer . Could you imagine Brian Boulware Clemson's stout linebacker 6ft 235lb on a lead block play? OMG Just my thoughts
Brant Mitchell ran the ball a lot in high school

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

In the days of one platoon football and a six man line popular at the time (50s-60s era) the center and FB on O often played the inside LBs on D. And with the limited substitution rules it was important for the center and FB to possess both O and D skills.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Marcus Allen played LB as well as RB in HS. Flip-flopped at both positions here.

TD Roof, Ted's son who's a LB commit, played RB for his HS as well as LB.

The notion that the B back is 4 yards in a cloud of dust is incorrect. While on the dive certainly it happens, the B back needs to also break out side to turn those plays into 70 yard gains. There is also the B toss, the B load option, the B speed option. Think back to Dwyer in the opening touch down of the second half at Georgia 2008, or MM last year against Pitt, and this year against UVA. The B back only leads block on the midline option and A load. He does pass block. What is interesting is that from 2011-2015 we did not really have a typical running back. Two converted Qbs Simms and Days, a converted Safety, Lasky and a true Fullback in Skov. The B back position is not a Fullback.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
I think something like this can be hit or miss. We tried something similar with Daniel Drummond, who I thought would be a monster. And it just never materialized for whatever reason

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The notion that the B back is 4 yards in a cloud of dust is incorrect. While on the dive certainly it happens, the B back needs to also break out side to turn those plays into 70 yard gains. There is also the B toss, the B load option, the B speed option. Think back to Dwyer in the opening touch down of the second half at Georgia 2008, or MM last year against Pitt, and this year against UVA. The B back only leads block on the midline option and A load. He does pass block. What is interesting is that from 2011-2015 we did not really have a typical running back. Two converted Qbs Simms and Days, a converted Safety, Lasky and a true Fullback in Skov. The B back position is not a Fullback.
Well … sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on the talent at hand. What we would like - and may have in Mills - is Adrian Peterson every year. But people like him and Dwyer come around pretty rarely. So Coach has gone with the best he has. This has resulted in everyone from Kyle Eckel - a pure, old-school FB is ever there was one - to Dwyer and Allen, both essentially heavy TBs, to Peterson, pretty much the ideal at the position.

I'm going to be watching Mills carefully in the bowl game and next year to see how he develops. Should be fun.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow

I am pretty sure that Laskey was a running back in High School.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I am pretty sure that Laskey was a running back in High School.
Not just a running back. He was 4A player of the year, first team all-state, and rushed for over 1500 yards and 22 TDs. We were in on him, along with the academies, when he was a junior.

Got this from the official site, btw.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Lots of guys out there who can play LB or RB. I liked Marcus Allen way better as a LB from his HS film. Skov too for that matter.

Laskey was a HS S and RB who began as a S at GT. But if you look at his film he didnt have that square to the line lateral quickness needed IMO. Natural BB and hit the hole absurdly fast. Synjyn was recruited as a S/OLB by Okie St. MLD could probably play S or OLB per his HS film.

I appreciate Monken found a guy on D who played O and did well, much as CPJ found Bedford on Scout D and moved him to C. This kind of thing really isnt uncommon though.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Lots of guys out there who can play LB or RB. I liked Marcus Allen way better as a LB from his HS film. Skov too for that matter.

Laskey was a HS S and RB who began as a S at GT. But if you look at his film he didnt have that square to the line lateral quickness needed IMO. Natural BB and hit the hole absurdly fast. Synjyn was recruited as a S/OLB by Okie St. MLD could probably play S or OLB per his HS film.

I appreciate Monken found a guy on D who played O and did well, much as CPJ found Bedford on Scout D and moved him to C. This kind of thing really isnt uncommon though.

"Not just a running back. He was 4A player of the year, first team all-state, and rushed for over 1500 yards and 22 TDs. We were in on him, along with the academies, when he was a junior."

Got this from the official site, btw.

Laskey wasn't a safety in HS. He was a RB and played very little LB and that was only when SM got into the playoffs because they didn't want him injured. He also returned kicks and punts which is kind of funny since IMO this is the most dangerous job in football. While rushing for over 1500 yards that year some failed to realize is that he did that while only playing in the first half and hardly any after halftime because SM blew teams out that year. It's hard to look at film of him playing S or LB when there isn't much on him. He was recruited as a BB by PJ and played ST and safety as a freshman at GT because BB had 3 guys at the position. Moving to BB his soph season he led the team in rushing and contributed the rest of his career. IIRC he moved by Perkins on the depth chart that year. I wasn't surprised about his success on the field. The kid was always a stud and just as important, a good teammate. That's why he's probably still hanging around the NFL getting paid.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Nice write up sting. Thought I recalled seeing f8lm of Zach playing S but obviously I must be mistaken. I will take your word for it. Weird because I watched a lot of film on him and argued vs a bunch of negative nellies who thought he was a reach. His film was good. I remember the punt and kick returns.