Life after Paul Johnson.... hypothetical question

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I think that CPJ's offense is simply the most beautiful football offense to watch that has ever been conceived.
And if you are outmanned it is like every other football offense, it sucks.
+1.

I first saw Paul Johnsons offense late saturday night/early sunday morning in the early 1990's when Hawaii was on TV, and my buddy and I just kind of shut up and said ".....what in the flying F is going on HERE?"

I have never, since that day, found a scheme I find more interesting/beautiful/intricate/fun.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
All depends on how CPJ leaves. If the team's performance declines and he is fired, absolutely no way in the world Tech would hire another option coach. If, on the other hand, he has a few more successful seasons and decides to retire, I think we would hire the best coach we could get, not excluding or biased towards the option scheme in particular.

Personally, I love the offense and would be happy to see it run in the future. That said, I also enjoyed watching the O'Leary teams...and the Ross teams...etc.
Just interested, what is "successful"?

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
If CPJ retires on his own terms with a good level of success and the fanbase and powerful alums behind him, we keep his coaching tree. If CPJ is pushed out, people will be screaming to bring in a different offense. And we'll fall into the turmoil that hit Southern after CPJ left.
I think if an AD only wanted to hire a TO coach, 95% of the coaches today would be eliminated

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I love what CPJ has done for GT up to this point. I do however believe it's gonna rely on the boosters support and recent success of CPJ leading up to his retirement. I believe with the way GA has turned into a powerhouse for high school talent we could do very well in recruiting with a spread type offense. Gotta get a coach who eats, sleeps, and breathes recruiting though.

GTFLETCH

Banned
GA Southern OC Bryan Cook will be ready to take the reigns from CPJ!! We keep the Offense and CBC adds his wrinkle, and Coach Mike Pelton replaces retired CTR!!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
+1.

I first saw Paul Johnsons offense late saturday night/early sunday morning in the early 1990's when Hawaii was on TV, and my buddy and I just kind of shut up and said ".....what in the flying F is going on HERE?"

I have never, since that day, found a scheme I find more interesting/beautiful/intricate/fun.

Yeah, I didn't follow GS in the 80s when I was at Tech, but I watched the Aloha bowl against BYU and their Heisman QB with my dad. We were laughing in amazement and enjoyment.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Or it is like "The Belly Series" Tech ran in the early 1950s. Dodd ran that from a Split- T formation.
Paul doesn't run that type of belly series but he could. The T formation was what developed into the bone. The early wishbone teams ran it.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
There have only been two sustained periods of offensive excellence during my time as a GT fan (since 1979). First was Ralph Friedgen as OC and the second was PJ as OC. Both systems relied heavily on option concepts. You may have forgotten, we ran a fair amount of TO with li'l Joe at the helm. The Fridge mixed it up, but there was a ton of option in there. Remember "the goose is loose"? We passed a ton with SJ, JH, and Goose as well. We passed more this year with JT. What is so boring about huge plays and a ton of TOP?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Has Paul Johnson established a tradition at Georgia Tech where they will want to play this brand of football? Or would they be willing to change gears and go with a spread offense found at most schools in the country?

For example, if CPJ said he was going to hire, would Ken Niumatalolo from Navy, Jeff Monken from Army, Bob Davie from New Mexico, or Troy Calhoun from Air Force be candidates to replace CPJ? Or does the option only live with Georgia Tech as long as CPJ is here coaching it?

As long as the current recruiting restrictions remain in place, our best "option" (see what I did there? ) is to remain with some form of the triple option/flex bone. After nearly a decade, I think our coaches have finally figured out the nuances of Tech recruiting and we are on the cusp of good times. Recruiting Tech has always been a challenge but with TS in charge I think we will see more resources devoted to finding players who fit our system. After going through all of this examination of who we are and what direction the program should take it would be folly to start doing what everyone else does. Georgia Tech has an almost unique status in college football, with its history, tradition, and now the triple option offense. Embrace it. You guys are engineers, right? Ya'll are supposed to be about "breaking the mold" seeking new and different problem solving techniques and all the rest. Well, we have a nationally recognized brand of football. Let's keep it. Our goals are to: play better defense and run that damn bone.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
To me Georgia Tech's offense is similar to the Veer run in Houston from the 1960s-1980s and at UGAG in the 1970s also at South Carolina from 1983-1986.
Yep, there is a lot of "inside veer" going on. Too bad George Rogers has used up his eligibility at South Carolina. Can you imagine him at Aback? Scary! The veer was supposedly the brain child of Bill Yeomans (spelling?) during the late 60s at Houston and has gone through a number of variances since then.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Except Tech doesn't run the wishbone. In fact, I don't even think it's in Johnson stable of plays. The triple option is somewhat similar, and possibly the same in overall effect, but it's not a wishbone.

You are correct. In many ways it is very different from the "vanilla wishbone" Pepper installed in the 1970s. Coach Johnson has take option principles and developed a truly unique offense. Don't know what to call it either. Flexbone? Triple Option? Option based spread? What ever it is, it causes major heartbreak for all opponents and their fans. Even now, somewhere an opposing team's defensive coordinator is waking up in a cold sweat having nightmares of dives, rocket tosses, speed option, counter traps and all the rest over and over again.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Was anyone else bored by all the pass plays in the national championship game? I sure was. That 4th down winning play could have been a b-back dive. Heehee.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
It's the Perfect Option for Georgia Tech y'all!

Funny how back in '08 and '09 we had this nice [cheesy] marketing effort for introducing Paul Johnson, but very little like this since.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I don't want to think about it, but if I have to, I think we can learn from the mistake GA Southern made when they got away from it. Assuming Roof is the next HC, bring Brian Cook or another PJ protege to run the O. I love it.

The ONLY other offense I'd be ok with would be bring a Goose back and tell him he had to run Fridge's offense.

I don't want to think about it, but if I have to, I think we can learn from the mistake GA Southern made when they got away from it. Assuming Roof is the next HC, bring Brian Cook or another PJ protege to run the O. I love it.

The ONLY other offense I'd be ok with would be bring a Goose back and tell him he had to run Fridge's offense.
Why do you assume Roof will be the next HC. I am not as down on him now as DC as I was 3 months ago, but I still don't want him for HC....EVER