Let's welcome back

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Ohio state has 4 new starters on the O line and a qb who looks horrible right now. Not taking anything away from va tech but IMO Ohio state isn't a top 20 team right now much less a top 10 team
VT was clearly the better team and that is cause for worry. Especially since a lot of guys on here already penciled that game in the W column for us.

Same for Pitt.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I am now moving Miami from a projected loss to a toss-up and Pitt from a toss-up to a loss. I see the key games as Duke, at NC State, and Miami. I'll say we win two out of those three and finish 6-6.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My cycling partner is a VT grad and he is very happy with the win last night. On our ride this morning he enjoyed his gloating and ragging me about us fighting from behind to beat Tulane. But, he is cautioning all his VT pals to hold off on the Kool-aid just yet. Ohio State is not really Ohio State right now. They are playing with a freshman QB who is not close to filling Braxton Miller's shoes. And they struggled with Navy last week. As a fan, he kept one eye on the ECU game last night and is worried about a big let down.

Gojackets55

Banned
That is a very broad question especially after beating a far less talented BC team by 10 points. I'm not saying it will be a automatic win but the way some of you guys react after one game is hilarious. Pitt is now a dominant team after being 1-0....are you hearing yourself?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That is a very broad question especially after beating a far less talented BC team by 10 points. I'm not saying it will be a automatic win but the way some of you guys react after one game is hilarious. Pitt is now a dominant team after being 1-0....are you hearing yourself?
The main thing I learned, or was confirmed, is that nobody is a pushover. We fans can't pencil in W's for anybody. A lot of the teams some of you inked in the W column recruit on par or better than us yet they are automatic victories, even the road games. That's a head scratcher.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Glad these guys are back!
Hope we do well against GSU so they get playing time.
We really need playmaker at AB - big gains out of regular plays and house calls are missing from edge plays that are well blocked.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't see why people think Pitt is any good? Am I missing something? They beat Boston College..
I think the main thing about Pitt is that their strengths match so well with our weaknesses. I admit I didn't expect this. Their D is still a question, but Connors is exactly the kind of back who could give our DL problems. 6'2", 250 is a load for anyone to stop and he's pretty quick for a guy that size. I really hate it when opponents come up with freshmen who look like they could be trouble. (I don't have the same qualms about Tech, of course.)

But it's early days yet and neither program has gotten into the meat of their schedules. We'll see about them. Clempson and UNC are, imho, at worst even games. Neither team has shown much so far. Da U seems to truly suck right now, but they are breaking in a new QB. The Turkies and the Dwags are going to be tough and we all knew that from the first. All we have to do to be successful is to continue to improve. Barring injury, that's what we always do and I expect us to do it this year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
We haven't seen a complete game from any unit on our team. It's hard to say whether this has been our ceiling, our floor or somewhere in between. However, I still get the feeling that CTR is just trying to figure out who he's got and get guys playing experience. We may not see a complete game from our D, even by personnel and scheme, until vpi.

I tend to agree with the prognosticators who lump 6 of the 7 Coastal teams together as far as potential (though I'm really not sold on Duke yet). VPI and Duke have the schduling advantage of avoiding FSU, CU, and L'lvle as a crossover opp.

My take on VPI over tOSU: Last year's tOSU had a very good O but only mediocre D. Strength vs Strength where we'd expect VPI to win the battle given the new QB at tOSU. For me, this game just means that VPI probably isn't going to have the down year some were suggesting and not that they're necessarily much better than past VPI teams.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
so NC State looks like a win. GA Southern I think we end up beating em pretty good. UVA is a win

BTW UNC looks like crap. That is a game we should win i think. I don't know who in their right mind put these guys in the top 25.

so that is 6 wins.

Miami a toss up...but home so I think we got a good shot. I am not sure about duke yet...we get em at home. I think we should win both of these.

Boy, VT on the road. UGA on the road. Pitt on the road and clemson home are going to be tough....

still seeing around 7-8 wins. Some teams are clearly worse than preseason thought. And clearly better (VT, Pitt)

Agree these will be the games that define us this year. We play VT away, advantage VT. We play Miami at home after a bye (Miami will have played week b4), advantage GT. Pitt is away but will be coming off their game vs VT...we will be coming off game vs. weak appearing UNC, advantage wash. Clemson we get at home for last game of the season at BDS...crowd will be pumped, advantage GT. UGA in the cesspool...advantage UGA. Still think we end with 9 wins.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Agree these will be the games that define us this year. We play VT away, advantage VT. We play Miami at home after a bye (Miami will have played week b4), advantage GT. Pitt is away but will be coming off their game vs VT...we will be coming off game vs. weak appearing UNC, advantage wash. Clemson we get at home for last game of the season at BDS...crowd will be pumped, advantage GT. UGA in the cesspool...advantage UGA. Still think we end with 9 wins.
Clemson gets two extra days to prepare for our game. What effect that may have, I'm not sure right now.

Dave.S

Jolly Good Fellow
Good to see those guys back, unfortunately we don't look very good against the run and we get very little pressure on the QB; we are going to have score 35 + to get to a decent bowl.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
CPJ said today that Waller has looked great on Scout team...and he will play this week.

He also said that Waller and Smelter is the best pair that he has had here.

Also the first time I have heard CPJ talk positive about Andrews...said he has been playing hard and he will play this week.

Leonard Larramore

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ said today that Waller has looked great on Scout team...and he will play this week.

He also said that Waller and Smelter is the best pair that he has had here.

Also the first time I have heard CPJ talk positive about Andrews...said he has been playing hard and he will play this week.
Any insight on Lynn?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Excited to see what Waller can do. Lots of talk about him improving over the offseason. Was our best WR towards the end of last year.

Smelter and Waller could be a great combo for us...big guys that can move.

Now pass protection just needs to hold up so JT can find them.

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
The few times I remember Andrews having the ball he looked good. Not sure on his blocking but he is a quick runner for the AB position.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
so NC State looks like a win. GA Southern I think we end up beating em pretty good. UVA is a win

BTW UNC looks like crap. That is a game we should win i think. I don't know who in their right mind put these guys in the top 25.

so that is 6 wins.

Miami a toss up...but home so I think we got a good shot. I am not sure about duke yet...we get em at home. I think we should win both of these.

Boy, VT on the road. UGA on the road. Pitt on the road and clemson home are going to be tough....

still seeing around 7-8 wins. Some teams are clearly worse than preseason thought. And clearly better (VT, Pitt)

Virginia SHOULD have beaten UCLA; they gave them 21 points via 3 TD's to defensive scores (2 INT's and a fumble all returned for TD's). Without those 3 defensive scores, Virginia would have BLOWN OUT the Bruins.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Virginia SHOULD have beaten UCLA; they gave them 21 points via 3 TD's to defensive scores (2 INT's and a fumble all returned for TD's). Without those 3 defensive scores, Virginia would have BLOWN OUT the Bruins.
I don't agree with this logic. Take away our 3 picks and blocked punt and we lose to Tulane. Unfortunately for Tulane and UVa, turnovers count.