Let's Talk About Bourbon

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I haven't had the Lagavulin but likewise read good things about it. I had one of those Islay's (my very first Islay) at Baraonda after a football game one evening and I kinda' liked everything about it but the iodine taste. I've been trying other Islay and want to find good smoke, peat, brine but without the iodine. I might try the Ledaig and caol Ila
Not going to get away from the iodine. It's part of the peat bog.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Just 1 opinion and there are many I've not listed. I don't like finished bourbon, so no Angel's Envy, Blood Oath, limited releases, etc.

Best under $25: Very Old Barton's Bottled-in-Bond, Wild Turkey 101, Old Forester Signature
Best $25 - $35: Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Evan Williams BiB, Early Times BiB (L), Old Grand Dad 114, 1792
Best $35 - $50: Weller 12, Elmer T. Lee, Col. E H Taylor, Willett Family Reserve, Bulleit, Old Elk, Wilderness Trail
Best $50 - $70: Old Forester 1910 or 1920, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, Elijah Craig Cast Strength, Baker's 107, Booker's
Best $70+: If you have the palate and the checkbook to buy in this range do so; if not, don't waste your money. Too many distilleries out there too proud of their product or trying to grab ahold of some of the secondary market pricing. There's too much good bourbon at affordable prices to go unicorn hunting. Everyone hates a tater.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Just 1 opinion and there are many I've not listed. I don't like finished bourbon, so no Angel's Envy, Blood Oath, limited releases, etc.

Best under $25: Very Old Barton's Bottled-in-Bond, Wild Turkey 101, Old Forester Signature
Best $25 - $35: Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek, Elijah Craig, Evan Williams BiB, Early Times BiB (L), Old Grand Dad 114, 1792
Best $35 - $50: Weller 12, Elmer T. Lee, Col. E H Taylor, Willett Family Reserve, Bulleit, Old Elk, Wilderness Trail
Best $50 - $70: Old Forester 1910 or 1920, Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, Elijah Craig Cast Strength, Baker's 107, Booker's
Best $70+: If you have the palate and the checkbook to buy in this range do so; if not, don't waste your money. Too many distilleries out there too proud of their product or trying to grab ahold of some of the secondary market pricing. There's too much good bourbon at affordable prices to go unicorn hunting. Everyone hates a tater.
Where on God's green earth are you finding Elmer T. Lee, EH Taylor, And Weller 12 for $35-$50?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@gtie73 Of course GT introduced me to bourbon
GT introduced me to bourbon as well. All these years later, no matter how much I drink, I can't erase the memories! ;)

On a side note, my lovely wife attended Uga. She abhors bourbon. She says the sickly sweet smell of bourbon and Cokes from her days as a coed attending football games has turned her against the product.

Fortunately for her, she married me. I never mix bourbon with Coke. That is a mortal sin. Plus, she has been converted from the dark side. She is a Tech fan now. Or else, pretends to be in my presence. I like to think of it as a small price she had to pay to wake up next to me every day. :cool: I, of course, typed this in great hopes that she never reads this.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Not going to get away from the iodine. It's part of the peat bog.
Oh no, really?
There is a bar in Decatur that had the greatest looking scotch menu online and was looking forward to going there and trying some of these before I bought a bottle. Unfortunately they closed for most of 2020 but reopened 2 weeks ago. I still don’t want to enter it just yet because it’s kinda’ small space.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Oh no, really?
There is a bar in Decatur that had the greatest looking scotch menu online and was looking forward to going there and trying some of these before I bought a bottle. Unfortunately they closed for most of 2020 but reopened 2 weeks ago. I still don’t want to enter it just yet because it’s kinda’ small space.
I've never had a peaty scotch without iodine. I guess it could happen. It's part of the briny aspect of the Islays.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I've seen bartenders get PI$$ED at customers who order expensive bourbon and mix it with something.
That's just stupid. You should drink whatever however you want. If someone wants to take a Black Maple Hill and mix it with Coke, that's their prerogative. I begrudge no one. Now, that being said, I wouldn't break out my BTAC for someone who wants Coke. I'll pull out the Beam or Benchmark. They won't know the difference and I'll have an extra pour for later.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
First time I had Pappy was at a luxury resort type place. I asked for a splash of Coke, and the barkeep refused. I thanked him for it, and bought 3 bottles from their gift shop.

That was back when you could still buy it places.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
First time I had Pappy was at a luxury resort type place. I asked for a splash of Coke, and the barkeep refused. I thanked him for it, and bought 3 bottles from their gift shop.

That was back when you could still buy it places.
I like Van Winkle (15 yr. is the best in my opinion), but it's not worth the effort or the cost. $150 retail for Pappy 15 is stupid. It's all because of rarity.

I'd take a William Larue Weller over any of the Pappy line, ANY DAY. And, I have an unopened 2020 WLW in my cabinet. I had a celebratory pour of WLW'19 and the OFBB'19 after tonight's victory over Duke.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That's just stupid. You should drink whatever however you want. If someone wants to take a Black Maple Hill and mix it with Coke, that's their prerogative. I begrudge no one. Now, that being said, I wouldn't break out my BTAC for someone who wants Coke. I'll pull out the Beam or Benchmark. They won't know the difference and I'll have an extra pour for later.

Agree. A paying customer is always right about how he wants his order.

Just like going to a steakhouse and the waiter and chef frowning upon someone ordering a steak well done...it's really none of their business.

People just like to be uppity about the dumbest stuff.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Agree. A paying customer is always right about how he wants his order.

Just like going to a steakhouse and the waiter and chef frowning upon someone ordering a steak well done...it's really none of their business.

People just like to be uppity about the dumbest stuff.
I agree, but someone should really make it illegal to order a steak well done.. :ROFLMAO:

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

SACRILIGE!!

You have not mentioned Old Virginia Gentlemen ($25 -35), probably the best straight Bourbon whiskey for it's price or George Dickel white label ($25 -35), probably the best Tennessee sipping whiskey on the market. And in the under $25 category, where in <the nether region> is Henry McKenna? I usually buy Mckenna when I can; it's a sipping whiskey - not a real bourbon - but it is fantastic for the price.

Here endeth the lesson.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
SACRILIGE!!

You have not mentioned Old Virginia Gentlemen ($25 -35), probably the best straight Bourbon whiskey for it's price or George Dickel white label ($25 -35), probably the best Tennessee sipping whiskey on the market. And in the under $25 category, where in <the nether region> is Henry McKenna? I usually buy Mckenna when I can; it's a sipping whiskey - not a real bourbon - but it is fantastic for the price.

Here endeth the lesson.
Well...OVG is not distributed throughout the US. It is, in my opinion, equivalent to Mellow Corn, i.e. full of buttered corn-on-the-cob flavor, but nothing else. It is something I'd use in a hot toddy for my wife, but it's not something I'd drink myself. Distilled by the Bowman distillery in Virginia (Buffalo Trace-owned), Mellow Corn is better.

George Dickel? Really? Maybe some of the higher-end allocated products are good, but the best thing to come out of Dickel is their rye. Besides, Dickel isn't considered by the State of Tennessee (although legally it meets the requirements) a bourbon. Therefore it doesn't fit the category I was espousing. I have a bottle of Dickel in my larder (only 1) and I like it. I've also had an unopened bottle of Jack Daniels in my stores for over 10 years. I have no interest in Tennessee Whiskey, except for maybe some of the Uncle Nearest offerings. If you want a good Tennessee Whiskey (also a bourbon), get the unfinished Belle Meade (I prefer their high proof Reserve) from Greenbriar Distillery in Nashville.

As for Henry McKenna, the only offering worth drinking is the 10-year Bottled-in-Bond offering, and that's hit or miss. McKenna Bottled-in-Bond is a great offering, but not for the price they sell it for now. It was the perfect 10-year old bourbon at about $30-$32 until Fred Minnick and the San Francisco World Spirits Competition named it World's Best Bourbon 2 years in a row. Now, if you can find it, it'll cost about $45. It's not worth $45, just like Blantons is not worth $65-$70. With McKenna's, Heaven Hill took a page from the Buffalo Trace playbook and made it highly allocated. Now it won't stay on the shelves, even overpriced.

Always happy to help educate a fellow Tech fan.

Last edited: