Let's Talk About Bourbon

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
If I recall correctly, there was a discussion of whisky bourbon last year, pretty sure it was the week before clempson too.

Time is a flat circle. Looking forward to polishing off my buffalo trace saturday. Cheers.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
If I recall correctly, there was a discussion of whisky bourbon last year, pretty sure it was the week before clempson too.

Time is a flat circle. Looking forward to polishing off my buffalo trace saturday. Cheers.
That's one of the staples for under $30. Add to that Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, Early Times BiB, Evan Williams BiB, Wild Turkey 101, JTS Brown, Very Old Barton's BiB, Heaven Hill 6-year (can't get it BiB anymore).

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Old Forester 1920 if you like it a little hot (115 proof) $55
Old Forester 1910 if you like it a little better balanced and chocolatey (98 proof) $55
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel $60
Four Roses Small Batch Select $60
Wilderness Trail $60
Old Elk $60

Baker's (107 proof) $70
Booker's (125-135 proof) $80

There are way too many good bourbons in the $25-$50 range to be worrying about $60-$100 expressions if you're just getting started. Don't be fooled by the sticker price. Plenty of fantastic bourbon under $30. Too often the more expensive offerings are gimmicks or marketing hype.

Edit: One word of advice, if you like Basil Hayden ($40, 80 proof), go get a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114 ($30, 114 proof) and add some still water. You won't know the difference and it'll save your pocketbook. It's the same mashbill, same barrels, same warehouses, same everything, just a couple of years younger. You can water down your OGD 114 and put it in your Basil Hayden bottle and no one will know the difference.

GT35 Clempson 21 (Etiene, Lawrence, the 1st and 2nd string OL and DL, and their MLB will all be out due to CoViD19 testing)
All great choices and agree on don't be stuck on the $50+ if you aren't just wasting money. Old Forester is one of the most underrated Bourbons in existence. I find Four Roses Small Batch is sometimes FANTASTIC and sometimes 'meh'. Very 'craft-like' in that sense...and as a craft beer guy, I can respect that.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
That's one of the staples for under $30. Add to that Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, Early Times BiB, Evan Williams BiB, Wild Turkey 101, JTS Brown, Very Old Barton's BiB, Heaven Hill 6-year (can't get it BiB anymore).
Evan William BiB is a favorite. Puts me on my ***.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Some good suggestions above. I recommend Horse Soldier Barrell Strength. Not only a great bourbon but an awesome story. It’s getting a bit nippy so it’s also time to break out the High West Campfire.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Old Forester 1920 if you like it a little hot (115 proof) $55
Old Forester 1910 if you like it a little better balanced and chocolatey (98 proof) $55
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel $60
Four Roses Small Batch Select $60
Wilderness Trail $60
Old Elk $60

Baker's (107 proof) $70
Booker's (125-135 proof) $80

There are way too many good bourbons in the $25-$50 range to be worrying about $60-$100 expressions if you're just getting started. Don't be fooled by the sticker price. Plenty of fantastic bourbon under $30. Too often the more expensive offerings are gimmicks or marketing hype.

Edit: One word of advice, if you like Basil Hayden ($40, 80 proof), go get a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114 ($30, 114 proof) and add some still water. You won't know the difference and it'll save your pocketbook. It's the same mashbill, same barrels, same warehouses, same everything, just a couple of years younger. You can water down your OGD 114 and put it in your Basil Hayden bottle and no one will know the difference.

GT35 Clempson 21 (Etiene, Lawrence, the 1st and 2nd string OL and DL, and their MLB will all be out due to CoViD19 testing)
Thanks for the reply.

I think I remember your whiskey skills from about a year ago. In Aug 2019, right my rotator surgery, I had a Macallen 12 in a restaurant and really liked it. Up until that time, I was drinking bourbons. I was really liking the OF with a green trimmed "label" (is that the 1920?) but my favorite happened to be the Uncle Nearest with the whiteish label (1856?). For the past year or so I've been into scotch.

What are your five favorites in the $25-50 range?

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Depends on my mood...but if I want easy drinking and smooth as silk I love a French Whiskey called Brenne (~$65). It's aged in Cognac barrels so it is definitely a 'finished' tasting whiskey.
If I want something a little more assertive I prefer Heaven's Door Double Barrel (~$60).
Now if we are talking Scotch Whisky I'm a sucker for Glenmorangie Nector D'Or (~$70). Really any Glenmorangie.
If I want to really enjoy and treat my friends I pull out the Weller's Reserve (~$90 - $100 if you can find it).

I've got some more expensive bottles than those (in the $100 - $300 range...nothing stupid), but truthfully those above are the ones I keep re-buying.
I've been drinking scotch lately also. I bought a Glenmorangie sampler around xmas last year and I have to agree with you about the Nector. It was my favorite of the four that came in the box. The basic Glenm was nothing special.

Can't take the peat bombs but I do like Highland Park 18. I've liked Glen Scotia (Campbletown), Bruichladdich's Classic Laddie, and my next will be Bunnahabhain 12, It's from Islay but supposed to only have a hint of the smoke and peat. And I need to add Aberlour 12. Very nice that my wife likes also. Calls it a dessert scotch.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I've been drinking scotch lately also. I bought a Glenmorangie sampler around xmas last year and I have to agree with you about the Nector. It was my favorite of the four that came in the box. The basic Glenm was nothing special.

Can't take the peat bombs but I do like Highland Park 18. I've liked Glen Scotia (Campbletown), Bruichladdich's Classic Laddie, and my next will be Bunnahabhain 12, It's from Islay but supposed to only have a hint of the smoke and peat. And I need to add Aberlour 12. Very nice that my wife likes also. Calls it a dessert scotch.

I have an on-again/off-again affair with the peaty whiskeys. I went through a phase where if it didn't taste like I was 'kissing a chain-smoking mermaid' I didn't like it. Of course, when I drank it mermaid kisses were the best I could get since my wife didn't even want to be in the room with the stuff!

I haven't tried Glen Scotia, I'll have to give that a go. I love the Laddie and Bunnahabhain! I've had the Highland Park 18, it wasn't my favorite that day but it might have just been my mood.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
It’s getting a bit nippy so it’s also time to break out the High West Campfire.
I love that stuff. I had an Old Fashioned made with that in Utah a couple of years ago and it blew my mind. I was able to talk the restaurant out of the recipe if anyone's interested, but it does require that you make your own syrup from ancho chilis and a bunch of spices. It uses a mole bitters too, but you can buy that.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have an on-again/off-again affair with the peaty whiskeys. I went through a phase where if it didn't taste like I was 'kissing a chain-smoking mermaid' I didn't like it. Of course, when I drank it mermaid kisses were the best I could get since my wife didn't even want to be in the room with the stuff!

I haven't tried Glen Scotia, I'll have to give that a go. I love the Laddie and Bunnahabhain! I've had the Highland Park 18, it wasn't my favorite that day but it might have just been my mood.
I love the Islay stuff myself. I am not a huge scotch drinker (I really need to be in the right mood for it) even though I will have some form of cocktails almost every day. Ardbeg Uigedahl is very nice and I also like Caol Ila in this variety. Black Bottle (a blend) is a nice entry into smoky/peaty scotches and at $23 a bottle is easy on the budget although it is not easy to find.

As far as bourbons, I don't care for it neat like I do scotch so Evan Williams black label or the Very Old Barton's (86 proof) have been my go to bourbons for decades. I usually add a pinch of club soda and a dollop of ginger ale for a spectacular fall and winter cocktail. I do keep some Woodford's and Maker's Mark on hand but just for guests who want a "top shelf" bourbon. Unlike scotches, I am not moved as much by different bottles or brands.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Yes I know I am reviving an old thread, but I was going to start a new one, then vaugely remembered someone else posting about Glenmorangie (my personal favorite of the big brand Scotches available here in the states) and thought I would give a belated suggestion.. @85Escape and any other fans of this most delicious brew, go get yourself a bottle of "A Tale of Cake" if you can find it. Best Glenmorangie product I have had, and I have had quite a many, including doing a tour at their distillery and their guest house in Tain.

If you like the D'or, my goodness you'll love it. I got a bottle and then bought a case, it was that good, and have put a bottle down for safe keeping (have a son being born this year, and plan to drink it with him on the day that comes first:
  • He accepts an offer of enrollment to Ga Tech (Sh.. don't tell anyone) :)
  • Gets married
  • Turns 21

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have always been a scotch drinker but have been drawn to bourbon (neat) this winter. I have always liked Evan Williams black with a bit of Vernor's ginger ale and club soda. Been experimenting with the cheaper "good bourbons". To date my favorite has been the Yellow Roses small batch with Buffalo Trace a close second.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have always been a scotch drinker but have been drawn to bourbon (neat) this winter. I have always liked Evan Williams black with a bit of Vernor's ginger ale and club soda. Been experimenting with the cheaper "good bourbons". To date my favorite has been the Yellow Roses small batch with Buffalo Trace a close second.
Go get yourself some Early Times Bottled-in-Bond, Very Old Barton Bottled-in-Bond, or Old Grand Dad 114.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
First scotch I ever had was for a client dinner at McCormick & Schmick's before a Hawk's game. Client ordered a Laphroaig 10 and since I never had scotch before, I ordered one myself. I actually enjoyed it with the ribeye I got. Unfortunately, for some reason, it did not taste the same a few weeks later after I bought a bottle for myself. I didn't remember it tasting super peatie and smokey. So it's still sitting on my bar untouched after all these years.

On another note, I got to finally try a new to me bourbon this weekend: Whistlepig Farmstock. It's supposed to be on the lower end for Whistlepig (retails for around $75-$80), but I really enjoyed it. Never had any Whistlepig until this weekend. Will definitely get some for my bar stock.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Yes I know I am reviving an old thread, but I was going to start a new one, then vaugely remembered someone else posting about Glenmorangie (my personal favorite of the big brand Scotches available here in the states) and thought I would give a belated suggestion.. @85Escape and any other fans of this most delicious brew, go get yourself a bottle of "A Tale of Cake" if you can find it. Best Glenmorangie product I have had, and I have had quite a many, including doing a tour at their distillery and their guest house in Tain.

If you like the D'or, my goodness you'll love it. I got a bottle and then bought a case, it was that good, and have put a bottle down for safe keeping (have a son being born this year, and plan to drink it with him on the day that comes first:
  • He accepts an offer of enrollment to Ga Tech (Sh.. don't tell anyone) :)
  • Gets married
  • Turns 21
Xmas 2019 Total Wine had Glenmorangie sampler. Never had theirs before. Nector D'or was my fav. Their regular did nothing for me. Thanks for the Tale recommendation. I'll certainly try it.

Open at the house right now are an Oban 14, Highland Park 12, and Bowmore 15 (twas a great buy at TotalW). It will take me until toe meets leather time to finish these. The best I've had in a while though was the Brook Laddie Classic Laddie but I'm itching to try Lagavulin 16 to try some smoke and peat.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
First scotch I ever had was for a client dinner at McCormick & Schmick's before a Hawk's game. Client ordered a Laphroaig 10 and since I never had scotch before, I ordered one myself. I actually enjoyed it with the ribeye I got. Unfortunately, for some reason, it did not taste the same a few weeks later after I bought a bottle for myself. I didn't remember it tasting super peatie and smokey. So it's still sitting on my bar untouched after all these years.

On another note, I got to finally try a new to me bourbon this weekend: Whistlepig Farmstock. It's supposed to be on the lower end for Whistlepig (retails for around $75-$80), but I really enjoyed it. Never had any Whistlepig until this weekend. Will definitely get some for my bar stock.
Whistle Pig is best for Rye. If anyone has an opportunity to try the Boss Hogg, it's worth the taste, but not worth the price. Find a friend who has more money than sense and let them buy the bottle.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The best I've had in a while though was the Brook Laddie Classic Laddie but I'm itching to try Lagavulin 16 to try some smoke and peat.

I have heard so much about the Lagavulin that maybe it was a bit of a letdown when I tried it at a friend's house recently as it is so highly praised/recommended. A much less publicized Islay that may be my favorite is Caol Ila. Ledaig 10 yo is also a good one for the smoke/peat taste.