Let's Talk About Bourbon

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree there is better bourbon. This is bottle I open for people whose bourbon taste is unknown to me. I have another bottle I open for people whose taste I don't respect. And then, there is the good stuff.
I don't have anything but the good stuff (and I have over 150 bottles of bourbon in my larder).

Full transparency: I do have a bottle of Double Oaked in my cabinet. It's barely palatable, but it was a gift.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I agree there is better bourbon. This is bottle I open for people whose bourbon taste is unknown to me. I have another bottle I open for people whose taste I don't respect. And then, there is the good stuff.
Lol. I have my "Show Off" larder, where the labels exceed the taste and everyone thinks I like them. And then I have my "Good Stuff" larder that I only grab a bottle from with my friends who know the difference between marketing and taste. And then I have my larder, with the couple of bottles that I don't share. I'm selfish that way :)

Even with all that I don't have near 150 bottles! :notworthy:

But back on topic, I think we struggle early and fall behind by ~20 pts, then score some after the half-time adjustments, but they pull away in Q4.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I would say that this is off-topic, but given what Saturday afternoon is going to likely look like, I think the choice of brown beverage is an entirely on-topic conversation. I'll say about whiskey (and whisky) the same thing I say about beer when asked "what's a good beer?" I always say "a good beer is one you like." Whiskey prices are set more by marketing and scarcity than by actual taste. So enjoy what you enjoy without some weird sense that you are missing out! They all get the job done.

Looking at slugboy's data, Clemson looks like a terrible matchup for us (beyond just their being the undisputed #1 team in the country with two Heisman candidates.) They excel at our weaknesses. I really wish we were playing the sandwich game between their UM and ND games....that's the only way I'd feel we had a real chance.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't have anywhere close to that number. You win!
Not trying to compete. Just saying there's not much bad bourbon out there, there's just good stuff and young stuff. I just don't like the flavor profile of Woodford. It tastes finished to me. Just one bourbon drinker's opinion. I know plenty of bourbon enthusiasts that enjoy Woodford.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
For the UCF game, I started early and drank often. It was not a good day for me. I expect I'll go slower for the Clemson game, as it starts 11am local time. I fully anticipate a celebratory drink at the end of the game. I'm thinking Old Forester Birthday or William Larue Weller. They're both worthy of a victory over Clempson.

As for the brown water, I agree with @85Escape, good bourbon is what you like. I am by no means a whiskey snob. My favorite everyday bourbon is Early Times Bottled-in-Bond at $26/L. Good bourbon is what tastes good to you. I was razzing Woodford Reserve because I don't care for the flavor, a little to sweet, a little finished tasting. I don't like finished bourbons, and they're all the rage.

I tend to share all my bourbon with all my friends when they come over, so I had to stop inviting them over. Now they just show up randomly and we sit out back. My Infinity Bottle is in a Knob Creek handle bottle and it's as good as any single expression I have.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I like Bulleit Cask Strength.
Is that the white label one? Regular is orange, green is rye, and white is cask strength right? If so, I have had the cask strength.... this may show how much of an uncultured bourbon swine I am but I didn't think the cask strength tasted any better than regular Bulleit.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
For the UCF game, I started early and drank often. It was not a good day for me. I expect I'll go slower for the Clemson game, as it starts 11am local time. I fully anticipate a celebratory drink at the end of the game. I'm thinking Old Forester Birthday or William Larue Weller. They're both worthy of a victory over Clempson.

As for the brown water, I agree with @85Escape, good bourbon is what you like. I am by no means a whiskey snob. My favorite everyday bourbon is Early Times Bottled-in-Bond at $26/L. Good bourbon is what tastes good to you. I was razzing Woodford Reserve because I don't care for the flavor, a little to sweet, a little finished tasting. I don't like finished bourbons, and they're all the rage.

I tend to share all my bourbon with all my friends when they come over, so I had to stop inviting them over. Now they just show up randomly and we sit out back. My Infinity Bottle is in a Knob Creek handle bottle and it's as good as any single expression I have.
I ruined my infinity bottle with a phenol heavy whisky. I'm trying to serve it to the Bulldog fans that come over, but even they don't like it. I think I need to start a fire with it or something and start over. I've learned my lesson about trying to get rid of a whiskey I don't like by slowly adding it to my infinity bottle...eventually you won't like your infinity bottle!

And yes...the UCF wasn't a good day for me. Definitely learned to practice more moderation and/or stay off the in-game chat!

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I don't have anything but the good stuff (and I have over 150 bottles of bourbon in my larder).

Full transparency: I do have a bottle of Double Oaked in my cabinet. It's barely palatable, but it was a gift.
Not to derail too much but what's your favorite in the $60-100 range?

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Depends on my mood...but if I want easy drinking and smooth as silk I love a French Whiskey called Brenne (~$65). It's aged in Cognac barrels so it is definitely a 'finished' tasting whiskey.
If I want something a little more assertive I prefer Heaven's Door Double Barrel (~$60).
Now if we are talking Scotch Whisky I'm a sucker for Glenmorangie Nector D'Or (~$70). Really any Glenmorangie.
If I want to really enjoy and treat my friends I pull out the Weller's Reserve (~$90 - $100 if you can find it).

I've got some more expensive bottles than those (in the $100 - $300 range...nothing stupid), but truthfully those above are the ones I keep re-buying.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Old Forester 1920 if you like it a little hot (115 proof) $55
Old Forester 1910 if you like it a little better balanced and chocolatey (98 proof) $55
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel $60
Four Roses Small Batch Select $60
Wilderness Trail $60
Old Elk $60

Baker's (107 proof) $70
Booker's (125-135 proof) $80

There are way too many good bourbons in the $25-$50 range to be worrying about $60-$100 expressions if you're just getting started. Don't be fooled by the sticker price. Plenty of fantastic bourbon under $30. Too often the more expensive offerings are gimmicks or marketing hype.

Edit: One word of advice, if you like Basil Hayden ($40, 80 proof), go get a bottle of Old Grand Dad 114 ($30, 114 proof) and add some still water. You won't know the difference and it'll save your pocketbook. It's the same mashbill, same barrels, same warehouses, same everything, just a couple of years younger. You can water down your OGD 114 and put it in your Basil Hayden bottle and no one will know the difference.

GT35 Clempson 21 (Etiene, Lawrence, the 1st and 2nd string OL and DL, and their MLB will all be out due to CoViD19 testing)