Lets look at this another way ( without naming Players )

stech81

Helluva Engineer
You are the offensive coordinator you are looking to pick your best QB here are the things you are looking for in that QB

1) someone who can recognize defenses and read were to go with the ball ( although you know this could take a year or 2 )

2) someone who is good at short to medium passes but has a problem with the long passes

3) someone that has a great arm and has a little problem with accuracy with passes

4) a good threat to run

5) Someone who works hard and has the other players respect

6) someone who wants the ball in his hands when the game is on the line

7) someone that puts extra time in at practice

Now put this in order on how you would grade them 1st being the most important to least important.

add other things you would be looking for :

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I'll Play see below:

Midtown's RankingAspect of PlayerMidtown's Reasoning
11) someone who can recognize defenses and read were to go with the ball ( although you know this could take a year or 2 )If they don't get the ball out quickly and to the right person consistently, I don't care about their potential for explosives
26) someone who wants the ball in his hands when the game is on the lineIf you don't have a killer mentality and confidence in your ability to drive the team down the field it can kill you in close games.
32) someone who is good at short to medium passes but has a problem with the long passesIt is about moving the ball, not hero ball
44) a good threat to runWe should have running backs who can run and carry the load, but having the threat of a mobile QB gives you options and forces the D into compromises on what they take away
53) someone that has a great arm and has a little problem with accuracy with passesBig Bombs are fun, but the least important to me as far as ability to execute when the lights are on
65) Someone who works hard and has the other players respectHeart is a tiebreaker, not a decider on who plays for me. Results are 90% of the choice in who to play
77) someone that puts extra time in at practiceDon't care, if they are good enough to get in and out of meetings and not take extra time, fine. Performance requires quality of preparation not always quantity of preparation

I could be convinced to move #2 below #4, but eh this is my hot take.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Can I write a conditional formula to answer this? Haha. As Midtown mentioned, the quality of wanting the ball in your hands at the end of the game. It’s amazing quality but if you’re good enough elsewhere you can get by without it. But if you have that quality, it’s number 1, if you don’t, it doesn’t have to be the end of the world.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
I'll Play see below:

11) someone who can recognize defenses and read were to go with the ball ( although you know this could take a year or 2 )If they don't get the ball out quickly and to the right person consistently, I don't care about their potential for explosives
26) someone who wants the ball in his hands when the game is on the lineIf you don't have a killer mentality and confidence in your ability to drive the team down the field it can kill you in close games.
32) someone who is good at short to medium passes but has a problem with the long passesIt is about moving the ball, not hero ball
44) a good threat to runWe should have running backs who can run and carry the load, but having the threat of a mobile QB gives you options and forces the D into compromises on what they take away
53) someone that has a great arm and has a little problem with accuracy with passesBig Bombs are fun, but the least important to me as far as ability to execute when the lights are on
65) Someone who works hard and has the other players respectHeart is a tiebreaker, not a decider on who plays for me. Results are 90% of the choice in who to play
77) someone that puts extra time in at practiceDon't care, if they are good enough to get in and out of meetings and not take extra time, fine. Performance requires quality of preparation not always quantity of preparation

Damn, broke out the excel. It’s getting serious.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'll Play see below:

I like your chart. Was that hard to do?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'll Play see below:

Midtown nails it. I question why you would move number 2. To me, that is the single most important factor. Yates has it but Sims probably does as well. To my purely amateurish eye, Yates is best at number one. He gets that ball out in a hurry and generally to someone who is open which is much better than the alternative with our offensive line...the old chuck and duck.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
First - 2,3. You have to have the ability to be a threat to move the ball through the air whether that is short, medium or long. However, to put in order I'd take 3 over 2 as it's harder to improve a weak arm where accuracy problems can be addressed.

Second - 4. Similar to the above but you can be successful without this as the RBs can make the running game a threat even with the statue of liberty back there.

Third - 1. This is needed but it can't be above talent. It doesn't matter if you can recognize defenses if you don't have the ability to take advantage of what the defense is doing.

Fourth- 5. This feels like just a requirement. If you don't work hard or have the respect of the players you shouldn't be an option.

Fifth - 7. Work ethic great, but it isn't really a determining factor.

Last - 6. This is like the "it" factor, or being a "winner". It's vague meaningless nonsense.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Midtown nails it. I question why you would move number 2. To me, that is the single most important factor. Yates has it but Sims probably does as well. To my purely amateurish eye, Yates is best at number one. He gets that ball out in a hurry and generally to someone who is open which is much better than the alternative with our offensive line...the old chuck and duck.
For me with 2, I don’t want someone scared of the moment for sure but if they are a glory hog that’s not great either. When the D gives you a read you ignore it at your team’s peril. So that’s all I was saying there. Agree it is important though so I wouldn’t want it falling further.