Let the rejoicing begin!

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
When I spent some time in Bristol, Andy Katz treated me like dirt. I can get past that. He also was a condescending *** to my then 70 year old dad. He may be a decent journalist (I find he fabricates a lot of his "scoops") but I found him to be a despicable human being. Just my experience with him.

Everyone else at ESPN was fantastic with my dad, save Digger Phelps (just arrogant and pompous, not cruel or nasty) and Stuart Scott (I wouldn't wish his cancer journey on anyone. He was just not a nice person when we interacted.) John Saunders, Chris Fowler, Rich Eisen, Howie Schwab, and **** Vitale deserve special mention for going out of their way and being genuinely good people.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When I spent some time in Bristol, Andy Katz treated me like dirt. I can get past that. He also was a condescending *** to my then 70 year old dad. He may be a decent journalist (I find he fabricates a lot of his "scoops") but I found him to be a despicable human being. Just my experience with him.

Everyone else at ESPN was fantastic with my dad, save Digger Phelps (just arrogant and pompous, not cruel or nasty) and Stuart Scott (I wouldn't wish his cancer journey on anyone. He was just not a nice person when we interacted.) John Saunders, Chris Fowler, Rich Eisen, Howie Schwab, and **** Vitale deserve special mention for going out of their way and being genuinely good people.

I appreciate you adding the additional context. I do think Katz is an excellent hoops journo, but that's no excuse for the behavior you describe.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
@ESPNjacket do you have any info on these layoffs we may have overlooked? Buyouts? Expiring contracts etc? To fire Katz and ONeil and keep Greenberg and Fraschilla just seems foolish

They got rid of a lot of reporters, particularly expensive ones. It is sad for sports fans.

Game analysts and reporters have very different jobs. They shouldn't really be compared.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It happens in corporate culture. Guys get to high $ levels after several years. Profits decline and mgt start looking at cuts. I watch the game for the match up and not the announcers. I even watch when **** "the homer" Vitale calls the game. He is the worst of all of them in my opinion. He adds nothing other than drooling over Roy or coach K in the ACC games. He gets really conflicted when they play each other.

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow
It happens in corporate culture. Guys get to high $ levels after several years. Profits decline and mgt start looking at cuts. I watch the game for the match up and not the announcers. I even watch when **** "the homer" Vitale calls the game. He is the worst of all of them in my opinion. He adds nothing other than drooling over Roy or coach K in the ACC games. He gets really conflicted when they play each other.

Living in Raleigh, we get the option of watching the ESPN matchup with Dickie V calling it or the local Channel coverage with Mike Gminski when the Duke vs UNC game is on. I choose the G man everytime

northgajacket

Banned

I have heard that ESPN is a pretty miserable place . Is that True?

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
The folks I interacted with all loved working there, but they were the "talent" (save Howie and Chris C, who were grunts doing the work. Schwab was employee #8 at ESPN, though, so he had his own thing going) From what I saw, everyone worked hard but they also liked each other and had fun. Spend a couple of 18 hour days around people and you kinda figure out whether it's real or a show. For my money, they were a bunch of folks who enjoyed what they were doing and who they were doing it with. Saunders was a practical joker and he loved being the quiet guy who gave everyone else hell. I miss seeing him and still can't believe he's gone.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
As long as I never have to hear that clueless asshat Beth Mowins announce another Tech football/basketball game then you won't hear me complain really.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
ESPN needs to stick to sports and stay out of politics. A lot of people I know refuse to watch them anymore except for the occasional game. I refuse to watch them nine months out of the year.