Let’s talk...IMO this needs to happen...

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Not really, but his team is in a similar situation to 2015 GT: skilled QB surrounded by inexperienced teammates. Statistically, compare his Junior year to Senior year.
Junior (13 games): 134/226 (59.3%) for 2001 yards passing (14.9 yards per completion) and 122 carries for 1029 yards (9 yards per carry). 27 passing touchdowns, 13 rushing touchdowns. 9 interceptions.

Senior (10 games): 91/165 (55.2%) for 1020 yards passing (11.2 yards per completion) and 90 carries for 719 yards (8 yards per carry). 6 passing touchdowns, 11 rushing touchdowns, 8 interceptions.

First off, it should be noted his passing attempts per game and rushing attempts per game didn't really change between the two years, so the gameplan was similar. It seems like there was virtually no dropoff as a runner with similar yards/carry and rushing TDs, so with the ball entirely in his hands he's effective. Here's what sticks out to me: the crazy drop in passing touchdowns and passing yardage, but with a similar completion rate and number of interceptions. About the same number of completions per game, but he passed for 33% fewer yards per game this season compared to last year. His longest pass this year was 49 yards compared to 80 yards last year. This seems like the OL was breaking down quickly not allowing his receivers to get open, so he was forced to throw a lot of shorter passes that got swallowed up. Someone mentioned that if you watch his highlight tape, his OL can be seen to be constantly changing throughout the season as staff were desperately trying to find what combination would not get him killed. He's got the same great throwing mechanics, but I think the pieces around him aren't what they were last year.

For what it's worth, the first 6 teams they played are all powerhouses and have a collective record of 49-9 (four 1-loss teams). Those teams crushed many QBs. Plant then went on a 4 game winning streak against weaker competition, outscored those opponents 164-20, and are headed to playoffs apparently. So, against the most elite competition the team has sucked, but against middling and weak teams they've dominated. Obviously not the lights out season we all expected, but the fact that all QB recruiting was shut down after Gleason committed means that the poor stats don't scare the staff. They know what they've got in Gleason.

Wow, nice report. I saw his tape but I don't know who he was playing.What I saw was a big guy that can throw a variety of passes.He can also run fairly fast straight ahead which is VERY useful on 3 yd runs at 215 lbs for a first down.Not a superman but has potential.