Let’s talk...IMO this needs to happen...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You definitely have thicker gold colored glasses than I do... I think we will beat Gardner Webb and Syracuse and there will be one other fluke win where we beat a team we aren't expected to. I just don't see us getting more than 3 wins next year, though...
Now if this team turns the corner the end of this season and starts decisively winning football games, I will be thrilled to eat my words. Right now, I am just not seeing it though...

Tomorrow is another day...

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Then I would assume that you are not correct in your speculation then.

Everything about this hire was geared towards the long term at the expense of the short term. The main selling point of Collins was the hope for better recruiting. The staff was put together with that in mind, and the contract depicts it. That approach to a coaching hiring doesn't come unless the AD has a finger on the pulse of the big money donors already and this was the opposite of a hire made with demands of winning now. The biggest results this year are on the recruiting trail, not on the field. If the current class finishes top 25 (where it is now) and next year follows suit then I doubt anyone with much influence will be stirring things up. It'd be doing what the hire was intended to do, and at that point it would be to wait and see how that pays off.

It is absolutely possible. I make no claims to be able to predict the future. With FSU firing their coach after 1 1/2 seasons though, saying that CGC has to show significant progress by the end of year 2, is not that big of a stretch...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It is absolutely possible. I make no claims to be able to predict the future. With FSU firing their coach after 1 1/2 seasons though, saying that CGC has to show significant progress by the end of year 2, is not that big of a stretch...

Snort, guffaw, that's FSU. Not going to happen here.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Gentlemen. Expectations on this board have gone down quickly as the year progresses.

I really do not understand why the new coaching staff is given a pass for the abysmal season so far. The coaches are paid six and seven figure salaries to win football games. They are responsible for taking the athletes they have and doing whatever it takes to win. I drank the kool-aid in the preseason believing this team was going to accomplish great things. Collins had me.

I have grown weary of hearing about how this is the biggest transition in the history of the NCAA. I do not buy that as an excuse. Losing key offensive linemen to injury is a legit excuse. But Collins was hired knowing full well what he was getting into and I think held onto his trump card of a big offensive transition after the losing continued.

Going 2-10 next year will put him on the hot seat in my opinion. I may wear gold colored glasses, but the only big donor I have spoken with is expecting wins over UGA with Collins and I think his glasses are not gold colored.

Which leaves year three. Another losing season likely starts a search for a replacement.

This is a young and inexperienced coaching staff. Not a lot of experience at the P5 level. I hope they are learning and developing as the season progresses.

I would be ecstatic if they right the ship and go bowling next year. Remember, that is what they were hired to do.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Gentlemen. Expectations on this board have gone down quickly as the year progresses.

I really do not understand why the new coaching staff is given a pass for the abysmal season so far. The coaches are paid six and seven figure salaries to win football games. They are responsible for taking the athletes they have and doing whatever it takes to win. I drank the kool-aid in the preseason believing this team was going to accomplish great things. Collins had me.

I have grown weary of hearing about how this is the biggest transition in the history of the NCAA. I do not buy that as an excuse. Losing key offensive linemen to injury is a legit excuse. But Collins was hired knowing full well what he was getting into and I think held onto his trump card of a big offensive transition after the losing continued.

Going 2-10 next year will put him on the hot seat in my opinion. I may wear gold colored glasses, but the only big donor I have spoken with is expecting wins over UGA with Collins and I think his glasses are not gold colored.

Which leaves year three. Another losing season likely starts a search for a replacement.

This is a young and inexperienced coaching staff. Not a lot of experience at the P5 level. I hope they are learning and developing as the season progresses.

I would be ecstatic if they right the ship and go bowling next year. Remember, that is what they were hired to do.

With a seven year contract I don't see how he can realistically be fired until he's completed at least four seasons. GT doesn't seem to have the financially irresponsible boosters willing to buy out a contract like that over a couple bad seasons (FSU lol). I am not pleased with the season, but the reality is that Collins has been given time to build what he foresees to be a winning program. You have to be realistic about these things.

Rammy

Georgia Tech Fan
I think Clempson’s Chase Brice graduates in December. He would be great, but highly unlikely he even transfers

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And once again, a nice theoretical debate disintegrates due to lack of discourse :(

You're right. I apologize. I just don't think that can happen here. We're a lot more patient than FSU partly because they've had more recent success. I think our powers that be know this will take time, time to build the team through recruiting. FSU has always had recruiting but now they're wasting the talent they have. It's just a big difference between their situation and ours. They know they have the talent but not the coaching. We know we just don't have the talent. Yet.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

But we're in year one now and it's obvious we don't have the offensive line or a QB who's ready enough to compete. I don't know a lot about football but one thing I've gleaned over the years is that without a decent OL or QB you aren't going to win many games no matter who the coach is. By year three, yeah, if we haven't turned the corner we'll be looking for a new coach. Few would disagree with that. But let's wait 'til we get there and see.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
"This is a young and inexperienced coaching staff. Not a lot of experience at the P5 level. I hope they are learning and developing as the season progresses."

Our problem is we have no where near the money to fire collins in year - 3 or 4 . We pay 12,000,000 per year interest only on our debt.

look at basketball - its going sideways along the bottom of the barrel. i think we will be doing a change there pretty soon.

continuing to compare us in same sentence with the factories like FSU is not logical.

we need to save our nickels and dimes to pay for assistant coaches for cgc in 2-3 years - hopefully we are giving these guys a raise!.

i hope we do scrape together extra 350 k per year and hire top rated dl coach?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I think Clempson’s Chase Brice graduates in December. He would be great, but highly unlikely he even transfers
He doesn't. He is a true sophomore. But even should he want out after next season, when Lawrence presumably moves on but the California hotshot is the QB-in-waiting, I doubt a guy with the Clemson experience would ever contemplate lining up with what the coach describes as the "most monumental" rebuilding job in history. But there is no question that kid can sling it, and Swinney is doing everything he can to get him playing time, and when he is in there, he lets him sling it. If Collins can recruit he better recruit a couple of quarterbacks. Mack came back to UNC and instantly pulled Howell away from his "firm" commitment to FSU.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You're right. I apologize. I just don't think that can happen here. We're a lot more patient than FSU partly because they've had more recent success. I think our powers that be know this will take time, time to build the team through recruiting. FSU has always had recruiting but now they're wasting the talent they have. It's just a big difference between their situation and ours. They know they have the talent but not the coaching. We know we just don't have the talent. Yet.
The talent really is questionable, and part of the reason is recruiting and part of that reason is awful facilities, which is why Jimbo Fisher started looking around. FSU can't afford another bad hire and is aiming high, way beyond the Collins range, because Sam Howell is not the only top recruit they lost.I say all this like I care, but it's Florida State. I hope they crater every year.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The talent really is questionable, and part of the reason is recruiting and part of that reason is awful facilities, which is why Jimbo Fisher started looking around. FSU can't afford another bad hire and is aiming high, way beyond the Collins range, because Sam Howell is not the only top recruit they lost.I say all this like I care, but it's Florida State. I hope they crater every year.

FSU's recruiting rank over the 5 year period from 2013-2017 was #3 in the country, according to Rivals. Not saying their recruits aren't overrated, but that's how they ranked.

But yeah, I hope they end up in the garbage can, too.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Collins isn’t going any where. This plan was set forth during the hiring process. The AD, big money donors, and Collins are all on the same train. Comparing FSU to GT is funny. All that matters is recruiting. We could go 4-20 in 2019 and 2020 and nothing would change nor should it. If the big money donors wanted to win 7 games in 2019 and 2020 we would have hired Monken. The decision has been made to go big bounty hunting and Collins is the guy. He got the High School Player of the year to come to GT in his first few weeks. He’s going to bring in recruits whether we win now or not. I loved that Coach Johnson stuck to his plan of action and didn’t get distracted and I know Collins won’t waiver in his path. The stadium will be full come 2022. It’s gonna take 3 seasons to get in the proper players.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
What kind of transfer is going to be champing at the bit to play behind this offensive line?

Graham was bad Saturday, but it was his worst game so far. He's young, and we have other alternatives now on the roster and incoming. We need to concentrate on the OL, in my opinion.

Very good point! I remember watching Little Joe have a number of bad games early in his carrier. Way to early for all the gnashing of teeth with Graham. He seems to have a lot of potential. He is very young.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Collins isn’t going any where. This plan was set forth during the hiring process. The AD, big money donors, and Collins are all on the same train. Comparing FSU to GT is funny. All that matters is recruiting. We could go 4-20 in 2019 and 2020 and nothing would change nor should it. If the big money donors wanted to win 7 games in 2019 and 2020 we would have hired Monken. The decision has been made to go big bounty hunting and Collins is the guy. He got the High School Player of the year to come to GT in his first few weeks. He’s going to bring in recruits whether we win now or not. I loved that Coach Johnson stuck to his plan of action and didn’t get distracted and I know Collins won’t waiver in his path. The stadium will be full come 2022. It’s gonna take 3 seasons to get in the proper players.

Not sure you have talked to any of the big money donors. But love your enthusiasm.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The stadium will be full come 2022. It’s gonna take 3 seasons to get in the proper players.

Love your enthusiasm SOWEGA. Howwever, the erosion in attendance has been years (if not decades) in the making. That is the one thing that I don't believe any coach can turn around in the short run. Too many factors outside of a coach's control, TV being the primary one.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I just have a feeling recruiting commits next season( 2020 ) are going to keep all the "fire coach" guys at bay no matter how the season goes.