Legitimate observation/question

Jmonty71

Banned
As of right now there are a total of three 5* QBs (per Rivals) in the 2020 and 20201 Classes. They are currently committed to Clemson, Bama, and Oklahoma.

247 is a bit more generous with 5* rankings. They list 2 in the 2020 class, already committed to Clemson and Bama, and 5 in the 2021 class. The ONLY one not committed to a factory school is 5* Caleb Williams out of Gonzaga HS in DC. (Interesting aside, he's a composite 5* on 247 when both 247's internal rankings and Rivals both have him as a 4*)

247 lists the 2022 class as well, which has three 5* QBs in it, but if we have to wait that long, it might not do CGC any good.

So, are you saying we have a 5* coming this year, next year, or further down the road?
I don't think I will ever see the day a 5 star QB, commits and plays for GT. Heck, at this point a solid 4 star would be nice... Right now, any 5 star recruit would laugh at any offer from GT. Collins has a lot of work to do. Starts with being honest with himself and stop giving excuses. Find the root cause and fix it... It takes better talent, and better coaching. GT is low on both of those, to be honest. Find a OC with an exciting offense. Not some boring trying to be pro type offense. I think our DC is ok... Just needs to players to do what is required. As for Collins, he needs to prepare better and prepare his players better.

Animal02

Banned
I don't think I will ever see the day a 5 star QB, commits and plays for GT. Heck, at this point a solid 4 star would be nice... Right now, any 5 star recruit would laugh at any offer from GT. Collins has a lot of work to do. Starts with being honest with himself and stop giving excuses. Find the root cause and fix it... It takes better talent, and better coaching. GT is low on both of those, to be honest. Find a OC with an exciting offense. Not some boring trying to be pro type offense. I think our DC is ok... Just needs to players to do what is required. As for Collins, he needs to prepare better and prepare his players better.
Collins needs to be concerned with winning games...not some backroom process.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
(Not going after Coach Collins) So, just based off of outside observation, I think we may have a Butch Jones situation on our hands. Just all the #s and tag lines, uniforms ect. I’m a graduate of Tennessee and feel as if I’ve seen this same song and dance. However, I do give Coach Collins credit in his time as a great DC on other teams(Butch Jones was never a coordinator). I completely understand and agree with CPJ had become stubborn and lackluster, however, at Georgia Tech we will never out recruit the factories. We saw this under the Chan years when it’s the best we’ve ever recruited a program history . I feel at Georgia Tech we need to be innovative on offense ala the option. I felt that offense gave us an advantage when we played factories. We just needed a fresh coach other than CPJ. I was all for Monken to be our coach. This does not mean I do not want Collins to fail. That’s not what we need as a program. I just feel I’ve seen the same thing before.

Don't even try you will/have been determined to be the enemy

alagold

Helluva Engineer
There have been complaints about “on the job learning” with Collins. It was truer with Gailey. He either didn’t put appropriate effort into recruiting or didn’t understand it until the latter half of his coaching tenure, and a fair section of that was affected by NCAA recruiting penalties (flunkgate).

Short version: Gailey’s recruiting rankings are poorer than they should have been. O’Leary’s were better and probably a better yardstick, even with APR factored in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Gailey, he personally answered my question at an alumni club meeting--"what was the biggest learning aspect in the this Tech job"--His answer--"Learning about recruiting and all those rules" .He had been in Pros a while and kissing up to 17 yr olds (and how) was a problem I guess..

GTFLETCH

Banned
Georgia Tech has piss poor Coaching....I went to the game, but couldn't bring myself to stay. We got our first 1st-down at about the 10:30 mark in the 2nd quarter, at which time we were already down 21-0. On the play following the first down, Mason ran for nine yards, making it second-and-one. Two plays later, we punted on fourth-and-18. I've got season tickets, so I'll go to every game to support the team (including the coaches). However, I won't stay to see a massacre if I see that we're showing no signs of improvement.

I know some Tech fans want to blame current performance on Coach Paul Johnson, because he allegedly couldn't recruit "real" football players for his obsolete offense. However, we fielded a competitive football team in all of Coach Johnson's years except one (when we were plagued by an incredible number of injuries). In fact, we typically finished first or second in the Coastal division during CPJ's tenure. I expected somewhat of a step backward when they announced Coach Collins' hiring, but I didn't expect this BIG of a step. Obviously, I'll give the coaching staff a chance to recruit "their kind" of players, but based on the results we've seen so far, it's hard to see how the program is moving forward in the right direction. Georgia Tech may be set back years after this Clown Show!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Georgia Tech has piss poor Coaching....I went to the game, but couldn't bring myself to stay. We got our first 1st-down at about the 10:30 mark in the 2nd quarter, at which time we were already down 21-0. On the play following the first down, Mason ran for nine yards, making it second-and-one. Two plays later, we punted on fourth-and-18. I've got season tickets, so I'll go to every game to support the team (including the coaches). However, I won't stay to see a massacre if I see that we're showing no signs of improvement.

I know some Tech fans want to blame current performance on Coach Paul Johnson, because he allegedly couldn't recruit "real" football players for his obsolete offense. However, we fielded a competitive football team in all of Coach Johnson's years except one (when we were plagued by an incredible number of injuries). In fact, we typically finished first or second in the Coastal division during CPJ's tenure. I expected somewhat of a step backward when they announced Coach Collins' hiring, but I didn't expect this BIG of a step. Obviously, I'll give the coaching staff a chance to recruit "their kind" of players, but based on the results we've seen so far, it's hard to see how the program is moving forward in the right direction. Georgia Tech may be set back years after this Clown Show!

So here’s my question: TStan played at Tech. Do you think he’s impressed or ... drinking heavily?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Why should we expect a significant improvement in OL play next year. Freshmen need a couple of years and the remaining linemen from this year are still making mistakes after 10 games. I don't see much improvement with the O next year. Same OC , same linemen, and same QB's. What changes?

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
Why should we expect a significant improvement in OL play next year. Freshmen need a couple of years and the remaining linemen from this year are still making mistakes after 10 games. I don't see much improvement with the O next year. Same OC , same linemen, and same QB's. What changes?

Thank you... This is the elephant in the room that no one seems to want to address...

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Thank you... This is the elephant in the room that no one seems to want to address...

I think that anybody who is expecting to see major improvement in 2020 in terms of W's and L's is going to be back here next year ranting and raving again. I think this is a 3 year process at best case and my absolute worst case scenario would be 7-8 years (and perhaps a coaching change). I do expect the team to be better next year in areas of execution just due to familiarity but I still see the LOS as our biggest need for improvement and that is not a quick fix.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think that anybody who is expecting to see major improvement in 2020 in terms of W's and L's is going to be back here next year ranting and raving again. I think this is a 3 year process at best case and my absolute worst case scenario would be 7-8 years (and perhaps a coaching change). I do expect the team to be better next year in areas of execution just due to familiarity but I still see the LOS as our biggest need for improvement and that is not a quick fix.
Well if that is the case I want to start early.
I can't believe we ........... We need to ....... I told y'all this who happen

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
2018 WAS our year.
My handle" it is time" meant with 35 SR and RSR it's time for the option to put up. The lack of ingame roster control at usf kick off and on the pitt fake punt killed any chance for the scheme to show big.

2019 cgc had 8 SR and RSR. He convinced the sr s to stay after graduation - Morgan's, cooksey, lee, cotrell and found 2 more on portal - then injuries to some of them and to cooper and hansen. The 3 qb s had thrown 18 passes before this year. the dl guys all graduated and Brandon passed.

Not only are we way out of balence age wise , we are way out of balance position wise w too few ol dl and too many ab rb
This is going to take 2 more years to sort out.
I loved the 2015 young guys who only won 1 game. 2018 was their year . As with them 2021 will be this young teams year.

Unfortunately the biggest thing that's out of balance is the alumni mmediatec expectations verses revenue.

The average SEC team has 12,000,000$ per year more revenue than the average ACC team and we are at the bottom of acc

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

This. Even if we ramp up recruiting to unheard of levels here at GT. it will take at least three cycles to have enough depth spread across classes to begin to make a difference, and that's only if most of our recruits pan out, which isn't usually the case at any school. Since we will now be competing with offenses similar to everyone else we play against, we have to recruit to their level or better to legitimately have a chance to win more than we lose. This process could be a while, and we need to understand that. I am hopeful that the Coastal Chaos norm allows us to win 6-7 games a year in the short term, but if we want to move past historical GT norms, I think we will have to be patient because I don't know that there is any quick fix for a move from the flexbone spread option.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

We shouldn't really expect that big of an improvement next year because as you alluded to, recruiting linemen that fit and coaching them up doesn't happen over the course of an offseason. We should be marginally better because we should be healthier with more depth and players will have more experience. Not sure why you point to 10 games and still making mistakes as if it's unexpected. You would usually not see OLmen playing significant minutes until their redshirt junior year, so 8 months really isn't a long time. Regardless the best chance for our OL to drastically improve is for us to have a couple of the returners have the lightbulb clock over the offseason and a couple of the freshman to at least give us okay performances. Something like our returning G-C-G combo improving and having a freshman step up and improve the tackles. Even then we're likely to have a bad O line due to inconsistency but we might be able to be inconsistent rather than pretty much consistently bad.

The best chance for an improvement on O comes from the WR spot. Our best WR this year is a freshman, Brown, and between the transfer Ezzard and Gowdy and Brown there will probably be a higher chance we can get big plays to ease the pressure. If we go with Wiggles at TE I could also see a similar effect there. This is where being just inconsistent vs consistently bad on the OL could help because if we can hit big plays it could offset the inconsistency more.

But realistically the offense will likely continue to struggle next year.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
This. Even if we ramp up recruiting to unheard of levels here at GT. it will take at least three cycles to have enough depth spread across classes to begin to make a difference, and that's only if most of our recruits pan out, which isn't usually the case at any school. Since we will now be competing with offenses similar to everyone else we play against, we have to recruit to their level or better to legitimately have a chance to win more than we lose. This process could be a while, and we need to understand that. I am hopeful that the Coastal Chaos norm allows us to win 6-7 games a year in the short term, but if we want to move past historical GT norms, I think we will have to be patient because I don't know that there is any quick fix for a move from the flexbone spread option.

Wow... And everyone is ok with this? We are going to range from abysmal to sub-par for YEARS in the hope that we might get better?
I guess we should all just go to sleep and wake up again in 3 years to see if anything has changed. Just wow...

Animal02

Banned
Wow... And everyone is ok with this? We are going to range from abysmal to sub-par for YEARS in the hope that we might get better?
I guess we should all just go to sleep and wake up again in 3 years to see if anything has changed. Just wow...
If this is really what the AD finds acceptable.....he needs to get canned immediately. No one in their right might should consider 4-8 years of bad teams is acceptable in today's college football environment.