Legacy Admissions to GT

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Interesting coincidence. I traveled 1000 miles this weekend to visit UT Austin with my son. I liked the city and the campus. I can understand the move by Parker Braun. I may get to see him play there next year.

My son was admitted to UT's Computational Engineering program, which has a 5% admit rate. He was denied at GT as a legacy, even with a 790 math SAT, high GPA at one of the country's best high schools (according to US News) and many other accomplishments. In the future I will post in the Swarm Lounge how being a legacy hurts your child or grandchild in the view of GT Admissions, which is the opposite of Ivy League schools. With a new administration coming in, something needs to be done. The Hill wants your money, but loyalty should work both ways.

cyclejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting coincidence. I traveled 1000 miles this weekend to visit UT Austin with my son. I liked the city and the campus. I can understand the move by Parker Braun. I may get to see him play there next year.

My son was admitted to UT's Computational Engineering program, which has a 5% admit rate. He was denied at GT as a legacy, even with a 790 math SAT, high GPA at one of the country's best high schools (according to US News) and many other accomplishments. In the future I will post in the Swarm Lounge how being a legacy hurts your child or grandchild in the view of GT Admissions, which is the opposite of Ivy League schools. With a new administration coming in, something needs to be done. The Hill wants your money, but loyalty should work both ways.

Very sorry to hear this. I hate how sometimes the admissions process screws families out of shared life experiences. At least he is not going to a rival school. Beat of luck to him.

One of my sons lives in Austin and loves it. However, contrary to what was posted above, with 2+million people it does not qualify as a town.

herb

Helluva Engineer

THIS! DO NOT let your kids give Tech any hint that their parents went there. It is a black mark against them. We have a serious problem with admissions and no one talks about it or wants to admit it

JacketBrad

Georgia Tech Fan
THIS! DO NOT let your kids give Tech any hint that their parents went there. It is a black mark against them. We have a serious problem with admissions and no one talks about it or wants to admit it

I don't think legacies should be given a major leg up in the admissions scoring. It wouldn't be fair to non-legacies.

But between two candidates that are virtually tied in grades, SATs, extracurriculars, etc. it should be a tie-breaker in favor of the legacy. Why the hell would our admissions staff view it as NEGATIVE? That's just crazy. What is their rationale?

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
I don't think legacies should be given a major leg up in the admissions scoring. It wouldn't be fair to non-legacies.

But between two candidates that are virtually tied in grades, SATs, extracurriculars, etc. it should be a tie-breaker in favor of the legacy. Why the hell would our admissions staff view it as NEGATIVE? That's just crazy. What is their rationale?
My guess, too much pressure to be diverse. If the numbers come out and we admit too many white people, someone will say the admin staff is racist. A majority a legacies are gonna be white based on Tech being mostly white 20-30 years ago.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

I agree. Tell them that when they ask for money.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I personally am glad Peterson is leaving. He seemed onerwhelmed by the job. All he wanted to do was raise money and was lousy at watching over what he got.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I personally am glad Peterson is leaving. He seemed onerwhelmed by the job. All he wanted to do was raise money and was lousy at watching over what he got.
Back to Parker. Good for him. Big time program that took care of the dwags in the bowl. Would have preferred Florida so he could beat them there as well.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree. Tell them that when they ask for money.

Exactly, three years ago my daughter made a 1410 on the 2 part with a 3.92 from Harrison and 7 AP courses. Wasn't accepted as a freshman but was guaranteed a spot her sophomore year. She told GT to jump in a lake as I have with every Roll Call since

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
My guess, too much pressure to be diverse. If the numbers come out and we admit too many white people, someone will say the admin staff is racist. A majority a legacies are gonna be white based on Tech being mostly white 20-30 years ago.
This is just ignorant, stupid talk. Georgia Tech produces the highest number of black engineers and the highest number of female engineers in the nation. There is no issue with minorities and admission to Georgia Tech. It's been that way since the 80's, at least.

My son is applying to Georgia Tech this year. He hasn't heard back yet. As a legacy, if he isn't admitted this year, he is GUARANTEED ADMISSION next year if he has a 3.3 gpa with at least 30 semester hours of college credit. My son scored a 35 on the ACT, went to one of the best high schools in the nation (New Trier HS just north of Chicago), and has the AP classes. He probably will not get accepted, and that has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the caliber of student applying to Tech. 700 on the Math section of the SAT is below the 50th percentile of those admitted to GT last year. It's tough to get in now, but as a legacy, you're guaranteed an opportunity, whereas, a non-legacy has to get in on their own merits.

Animal02

Banned
At this point most legacies are going to be from the wrong ethnic group. I hate to put it that way but even when I was applying years ago i was told in subtle words that scholarship opportunities would be limited.
I was told pretty much the chance was nil. Most comical time was applying for financial aide one year....They said I was not making enough to live independent as I claimed (was managing a rental property / living there for free) They claimed I needed to make $4,000 to satisfy the claim of being independent....but the cut off for financial aid was something like $3500. Screwed no matter what.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Exactly, three years ago my daughter made a 1410 on the 2 part with a 3.92 from Harrison and 7 AP courses. Wasn't accepted as a freshman but was guaranteed a spot her sophomore year. She told GT to jump in a lake as I have with every Roll Call since
1410 was below the 50th percentile of admitted students. My son scored a 1460 on the SAT and 35 on the ACT and probably won't get in.

Your loss. If a GT degree was that important to you or your daughter, you guys would have made it work. Obviously, she didn't make it in on her own merit, but there was still a way for her to get in. The fact that you chose to be offended instead of understanding that the admission requirements have greatly increased is your problem.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
This is just ignorant, stupid talk. Georgia Tech produces the highest number of black engineers and the highest number of female engineers in the nation. There is no issue with minorities and admission to Georgia Tech. It's been that way since the 80's, at least.

My son is applying to Georgia Tech this year. He hasn't heard back yet. As a legacy, if he isn't admitted this year, he is GUARANTEED ADMISSION next year if he has a 3.3 gpa with at least 30 semester hours of college credit. My son scored a 35 on the ACT, went to one of the best high schools in the nation (New Trier HS just north of Chicago), and has the AP classes. He probably will not get accepted, and that has nothing to do with race and everything to do with the caliber of student applying to Tech. 700 on the Math section of the SAT is below the 50th percentile of those admitted to GT last year. It's tough to get in now, but as a legacy, you're guaranteed an opportunity, whereas, a non-legacy has to get in on their own merits.
Can a legacy that continously gave to AA for 55 years , get the sophmore consideration for a grand child?

They live in Texas and one wants to be an engineer.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Can a legacy that continously gave to AA for 55 years , get the sophmore consideration for a grand child?

They live in Texas and one wants to be an engineer.
I'm not sure of all the rules, but I do think a grandparent counts as a legacy. The legacy may have had to apply and be rejected as an incoming freshman to be eligible, I don't know. Below is from the website.

"Applicants who are not offered first-year admission and have a family member (grandparent, parent, sibling, or GT employee) affiliated with Georgia Tech at the point of application will be given the opportunity to apply as a transfer student through the Conditional Transfer Pathway Program.

The Conditional Transfer Pathway offer is valid for the Fall semester one year after beginning full-time college studies. Students choosing to stay at another institution beyond one year of matriculation or who are unable to complete the requirements above will need to apply and be reviewed in our regular, competitive transfer applicant pool. More details related to specific transfer requirements, including required courses, may be found https://admission.gatech.edu/conditional-transfer-pathway.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Diversity

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Why let go of a beloved player? I still get to watch him play one more year of college ball. The fact he’s not wearing white and gold doesn’t diminish that pleasure.

If you are mad and don’t want to see or hear about him......free will. Exercise it.

Well said! I will root for Parker next year and hope he has a great career in football moving forward if that's what he wants. He and his family represented themselves and Georgia Tech with class and dignity and I'll be proud to continue thinking of his as part of the Tech family since he actually will be an alumnus! Best of luck to Parker!

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
My son is applying to Georgia Tech this year. He hasn't heard back yet. As a legacy, if he isn't admitted this year, he is GUARANTEED ADMISSION next year if he has a 3.3 gpa with at least 30 semester hours of college credit.
^This x1000. My son is only in first grade but so long as the guaranteed second year admission program is in place I'll tell him not to sweat getting in straight out of HS. If he wants to go to one of the best engineering schools in the country there's nothing wrong with attending another school for a year before enrollment. I can't imagine a more generous policy and hope it is still around in 11 years.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
L. I. O. N. S
Back - long ago when college recruiting engineers for Exxon Pipeline, we were advised to consider lions.
L = Latin, S equal Special, I equal Indian, u get the drift.
At that time there was very small portion of engineers was non white. We never discussed female. Like any govt program it starts to late and goes on too long. Women in college approx 2 times the number of men in college yet that's not enough to have programs for men.

I hired a gt guy who was a former Korean Army member who had trained us army guys in karate during Vietnam.
. Barely new english when he left army and went to gt . Got so grades at first then graduated w 2.8. Once at Exxon we could not get him to open a karate studio with a bunch of us fellow engineers investing . as he was 100% loyal to Exxon. He recently retired. Guy was the top level black belt could have printed money. His lack of aggression and innovation assigned him to a back office engineers job.