Legacies

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just read the rejection stories, sorry guys we were in the same boat. Daughter applied for entry in 2018. Dotted all the i's and crossed all the T's. 34 ACT, 4.0 GPA from a prep school out of state with alumni parent, yada yada. We did it all. Acceptance day we were sure there would be a letter. Nothing. She was absolutely crushed. So she called.

Get this - admissions screwed up the application process because of an apostrophe in our last name. She addressed all needed items initially that went into her file. But there was a few remaining items that were sent in later near the registration deadline (I don't recall what) that weren't applied to her application portfolio, but were added to a separate bin under her name but without the apostrophe. So two different applications, neither complete without the other half because of two different last names.

Admissions even admitted it was their mistake, and when we asked when she could expect her letter, they said they couldn't fix it, it was too late, and she would have to wait until the following year. I ripped them a new *** right on the spot and told them how embarrassing it was for the school I always bragged about couldn't get a last name with an apostrophe right in the computer system when Mississippi State and Ole Miss didn't have any issues with THEIR system and had already accepted her into honors college. I gave them pure hell.

The director of admissions or some such manager therein called us back the next day to tell me they had reserved her a transfer spot for the following year. Wife told them to shove it up their *** (not her exact words but close), our daughter would attend engineering school at a university which had admissions software that could handle an apostrophe or at least an admissions director that could figure out how to fix their own mistake.

Were we rude? I don't care, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity for her to get that letter and they screwed it up. Now it IS possible she didn't make the cut in Admissions, but that isn't what was communicated to us.

In the end I had to tell her that for important things like that in life, she has to follow up. She took it for granted that admissions could handle her application and it cost her. So yes, it all was her own fault for not checking. Hard lesson learned.
Heartbreaking.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Looks like the trend is heading this way at more high end academic institutions..
As a HS teacher at a private institution (with tuition 25k+ a year ) I have a lot of insight into the mind of a junior or senior going through the application/selection process.

What I see (and somewhat astonished by) is a large % of kids who are multi-generation at an individual school, many times at the large southern state university with good football teams and modest academics (in short, SEC schools for the most part). The school is such a part of their family background and culture that their school "choices" are made for the most part when they are very young. (One byproduct of this sadly is that a kid who grows up looking only at an Auburn or Ole Miss or UT Knoxville bc of family history isn't going to strive to reach their fullest potential as they are pretty much garanteed a spot in their school of choice. I have even seen kids who did have a Tech, Duke or Northwestern-type resume pick a Bama or equivalent due to the legacy influence).

Why is this important or relevant to GT? It's probably not if you ignore donations to the school and attendance at athletic events. However, if you think these things ARE important (and most of us would) then legacies built that foundation in a way that few other things can match. I look at my circle of friends from my days on North Avenue - not a single one of us had a parent who attneded GT - about half of this group were Georgia kids, the rest from out of state/international. Now. some 40 years later, none of us had offspring who went there either - by choice or by inability to gain admission. As far as I know, I am the only one whose offspring even applied - one was admitted but chose a different (smaller school) and one whose chances of getting in/getting out were equivalent to my chances of winning the Open golf tournament this week.

I do know Friday attendance at class is impacted by the SEC football schedule as many of these kids are travellling by car, RV or family plane to one of these towns where the family will typically own a home, condo or townhome for the purpose of having a place to stay for football weekends.

This continuity builds a certain esprit de corps that (imo) that was/is missing from the Tech community and effects giving to the school and attendance at athletic events. Getting rid of the legacy policy won't move the needle in places like Fayetteville, Columbia, Athens or Lexington as it won't have any change on their admission policies. However it will not any any benefits whatsoever to GT and, in fact, may further erode dwindling fan support.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
As a HS teacher at a private institution (with tuition 25k+ a year ) I have a lot of insight into the mind of a junior or senior going through the application/selection process.

What I see (and somewhat astonished by) is a large % of kids who are multi-generation at an individual school, many times at the large southern state university with good football teams and modest academics (in short, SEC schools for the most part). The school is such a part of their family background and culture that their school "choices" are made for the most part when they are very young. (One byproduct of this sadly is that a kid who grows up looking only at an Auburn or Ole Miss or UT Knoxville bc of family history isn't going to strive to reach their fullest potential as they are pretty much garanteed a spot in their school of choice. I have even seen kids who did have a Tech, Duke or Northwestern-type resume pick a Bama or equivalent due to the legacy influence).

Why is this important or relevant to GT? It's probably not if you ignore donations to the school and attendance at athletic events. However, if you think these things ARE important (and most of us would) then legacies built that foundation in a way that few other things can match. I look at my circle of friends from my days on North Avenue - not a single one of us had a parent who attneded GT - about half of this group were Georgia kids, the rest from out of state/international. Now. some 40 years later, none of us had offspring who went there either - by choice or by inability to gain admission. As far as I know, I am the only one whose offspring even applied - one was admitted but chose a different (smaller school) and one whose chances of getting in/getting out were equivalent to my chances of winning the Open golf tournament this week.

I do know Friday attendance at class is impacted by the SEC football schedule as many of these kids are travellling by car, RV or family plane to one of these towns where the family will typically own a home, condo or townhome for the purpose of having a place to stay for football weekends.

This continuity builds a certain esprit de corps that (imo) that was/is missing from the Tech community and effects giving to the school and attendance at athletic events. Getting rid of the legacy policy won't move the needle in places like Fayetteville, Columbia, Athens or Lexington as it won't have any change on their admission policies. However it will not any any benefits whatsoever to GT and, in fact, may further erode dwindling fan support.
Interesting take.

I remember years ago hearing someone at Harvard say that legacy had to be a factor, along with other types of “affirmative action” or classes would get out of balance and the learning environment would suffer. At Harvard, if admission was solely a reward for high scores in high school, classes would be predominantly female with a lot of Asian males, they said.

CEB

Helluva Engineer

+1
My family had no ties to Tech when I came down. My oldest son applied and was not admitted. Unfortunately, he just missed conditional transfer requirement as a soph and was not admitted as a junior. He’s finishing in Athens now... still struggling with that.
I don’t anticipate either of my younger two will have an interest in Tech (or be admitted), so I’m another data point for you.
There is certainly a sense of community / family at those other schools because of the ability / willingness to take more kids. It’s the price of being an elite (yes, I said it, and its accurate in this case) academic institution. Academics is first and foremost... which arguably, is how it should be.
At any rate, its not how you build family bonds, its not how you attract sidewalk fans, its not how you become embraced by the community / city, but I realize that is not the goal. Part of me is proud that Tech realizes and champions that stance and part of me is very frustrated by it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Part of me is proud that Tech realizes and champions that stance and part of me is very frustrated by it.
I think we are all conflicted by this. As Coach once said, "we want to be Harvard during the week and Oklahoma on the weekends" or wtte. By the way, who said this? Also, is it an actual quote or just an urban legend of some sort. But it is a very accurate description of what we all want for GT. We all seem to be united in the deisre or belief that if you are going to do something, do it well. That mindset is exactly how you got out back when that was a notable accomplishment rather than an expectation upon admittance.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think we are all conflicted by this. As Coach once said, "we want to be Harvard during the week and Oklahoma on the weekends" or wtte. By the way, who said this? Also, is it an actual quote or just an urban legend of some sort. But it is a very accurate description of what we all want for GT. We all seem to be united in the deisre or belief that if you are going to do something, do it well. That mindset is exactly how you got out back when that was a notable accomplishment rather than an expectation upon admittance.
I can’t say for certain and wouldn’t trust my memory if i could....
I think George O’Leary said WTTE. As I recall, it was early in his tenure here as HC and he said we expected to be Harvard through the week and Notre Dame on Saturday.

Edit to add; it was in the context of rebuilding our football program and the uphill battle as he saw it. I was at Tech at the time, and the only way to view our program then was through very heavy beer goggles. Either my state of mind then or my state of mind now could be responsible for inconsistencies in this recount. ;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I can’t say for certain and wouldn’t trust my memory if i could....
I think George O’Leary said WTTE. As I recall, it was early in his tenure here as HC and he said we expected to be Harvard through the week and Notre Dame on Saturday.

Edit to add; it was in the context of rebuilding our football program and the uphill battle as he saw it. I was at Tech at the time, and the only way to view our program then was through very heavy beer goggles. Either my state of mind then or my state of mind now could be responsible for inconsistencies in this recount. ;)
I first heard it as “Harvard during the week and Alabama on weekends”

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I first heard it as “Harvard during the week and Alabama on weekends”
Well....🤷‍♂️

Can we agree it was O’Leary and agree that it was Harvard? :D It’s more than just an urban legend, to close the book on part of the original question.

It was probably repeated more than once and may have morphed in the retelling...

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Well....🤷‍♂️

Can we agree it was O’Leary and agree that it was Harvard? :D It’s more than just an urban legend, to close the book on part of the original question.

It was probably repeated more than once and may have morphed in the retelling...
I’ll trust your impeccable wisdom on such matters.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
As a sidewalk fan, this thread has been fascinating to read. I would absolutely love for my future kids to get in and get out at Tech one day. I don't know where he or she will get their smarts from though. Definitely not from me. And the wife was good at everything except math. 😆

CEB

Helluva Engineer
As a sidewalk fan, this thread has been fascinating to read. I would absolutely love for my future kids to get in and get out at Tech one day. I don't know where he or she will get their smarts from though. Definitely not from me. And the wife was good at everything except math. 😆
I hope they do... I’m rooting for them! I have two more shots, but if they don’t pan out, we still have a house full of Yellow Jackets. My oldest always gets asked where he goes and when he tells them, most reply with “go dawgs.” His reply still is “nope” or “Go Jackets.” He says (unprovoked) “I can’t get there.” I’ve given permission for him to get there aside from their meetings with Tech and he won’t. He may just do it for Dad’s sake, but I like to think he was just raised right. :)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I would absolutely love for my future kids to get in and get out at Tech one day.

Be careful what you wish for here my friend! ;) Anyways, we are grateful for any and all sidewalk fans!!!! I imagine that must be a tough row to hoe and have always wondered why people who do so willingly given the school's heretofore lack of commitment to athletics. Hopefully the new leadership at the school and within the AA will provide some payback for your/our commitment and the wandering in the desert will soon be a thing of the past.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I hope they do... I’m rooting for them! I have two more shots, but if they don’t pan out, we still have a house full of Yellow Jackets. My oldest always gets asked where he goes and when he tells them, most reply with “go dawgs.” His reply still is “nope” or “Go Jackets.” He says (unprovoked) “I can’t get there.” I’ve given permission for him to get there aside from their meetings with Tech and he won’t. He may just do it for Dad’s sake, but I like to think he was just raised right. :)

Both my kids got accepted to GT (out of state). One went, the other to Kettering in Flint MI. Boy and girl.

I don't know how much legacy played into this 17 years ago, but we went to a GT alumni weekend and they explained the grading process for getting accepted. We were told legacy was given very little weight in the process.

What was highly ranked back then was the essay, and probably still is today. That is where we spent a lot of time, trying to be honest and personal yet hit the target of what GT was looking for at the time to round out the student body. That is my advice to anyone who has a kid who wants to get into GT; spend effort on the essay targeted to GT not a generic one.

Since my wife and I were engineers, as is my brother and father, we had a simple requirement for our kids. You can go anywhere you want just do engineering/science if you want us to pay for it. Not glamorous, but it will pay the bills and if you want a side hobby in the arts or whatever, you can pursue that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Be careful what you wish for here my friend! ;) Anyways, we are grateful for any and all sidewalk fans!!!! I imagine that must be a tough row to hoe and have always wondered why people who do so willingly given the school's heretofore lack of commitment to athletics. Hopefully the new leadership at the school and within the AA will provide some payback for your/our commitment and the wandering in the desert will soon be a thing of the past.
For those who haven’t heard me say this a hundred times in the past, those of us who went to academic schools without football teams (Emory in my case) Tech represented the good fight, the noble fight, for standards of excellence. It didn’t hurt that my childhood was in Atlanta during the end of the Dodd years. Back then uga paled in comparison to the pomp and color of Tech tradition.