Lebron James

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The man was built in a lab...

Considering all the HGH/roid rumors you're probably more right than you know. :borg:

I'm kidding. I've certainly developed an admiration for him. I have to be anti-LeBron since my BIL is a huge Heat fan. He's a pre-big3 Heat fan so he's ok.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just can't get excited about NBA players like I used to 10+years ago. The game has become so soft. I would like to see Lebron go against some of those Lakers,Portland, Detroit, and San Antonio teams back in the day.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I just can't get excited about NBA players like I used to 10+years ago. The game has become so soft. I would like to see Lebron go against some of those Lakers,Portland, Detroit, and San Antonio teams back in the day.

I'm still an avid NBA fan but I feel your pain regarding how soft guys are now. Can you imagine Durant playing in the '80's? He'd get folded in half.

I heard a guy on the radio talking about why you can't compare Jordan to James in terms of who's better, etc. He made a point that, back in the day, Jordan's finishes were typically above the rim with contact. That's why many of his dunks were actually in traffic or on a guy.

As big as James is, most of his dunks are of the breakaway variety and most of his and-1's come on layups not dunks. A nitpicky distinction for sure, but sorta speaks to the point you're making.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm still an avid NBA fan but I feel your pain regarding how soft guys are now. Can you imagine Durant playing in the '80's? He'd get folded in half.

I heard a guy on the radio talking about why you can't compare Jordan to James in terms of who's better, etc. He made a point that, back in the day, Jordan's finishes were typically above the rim with contact. That's why many of his dunks were actually in traffic or on a guy.

As big as James is, most of his dunks are of the breakaway variety and most of his and-1's come on layups not dunks. A nitpicky distinction for sure, but sorta speaks to the point you're making.
I still watch it too but the level of play on defense has lowered my enjoyment of the game.

Haha Durant (who I like) would have some serious problems. He would have to gain weight in order to be Elite in that era.

I agree with the Lebron/MJ comparison due to the low levels of defense. Heck, we don't even have that many true Centers defending the paint now. I think Lebron is special but we will probably never know how special he is compared to MJ. I still think MJ was a good deal better than Lebron.

Hopefully, these next two series will be good.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think sometimes we wax nostalgic about eras. Remember the Jordan rules, you couldn't breath on the guy without it being a foul. I witnessed Jordan straight up mug Mookie in the Omni and he never got called.
Jordan complained about the Bad Boys to no end and remember the ugly brute feast that was the Knicks in the early 90's Yuck.

Lebron on the other hand takes a get fouled like Shaq and doesn't nearly gets the calls he could, because he's bigger and stronger than Karl Malone and he takes it with ease.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Figured I'd throw this in here rather than make another thread.
http://tracking.si.com/2014/06/11/heat-looking-sign-carmelo-anthony-knicks-nba/?eref=sihp

So apparently they're exploring ways to squeeze Melo into the Heat's big 3? I understand why they'd try to go this route since Wade is clearly on the decline. I don't really like the idea of teaming up though. Just reminds me of Karl Malone and Gary Payton getting forced onto the Lakers to chase a ring.

I'd have much more respect for ring-less greats like Barkley, Stockton, etc. than I'd have for Melo even if he got one with the Heat. Makes me root harder for the Spurs and (hopefully) the Hawks since they're trying to go down the Spurs' road team-wise.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Figured I'd throw this in here rather than make another thread.
http://tracking.si.com/2014/06/11/heat-looking-sign-carmelo-anthony-knicks-nba/?eref=sihp

So apparently they're exploring ways to squeeze Melo into the Heat's big 3? I understand why they'd try to go this route since Wade is clearly on the decline. I don't really like the idea of teaming up though. Just reminds me of Karl Malone and Gary Payton getting forced onto the Lakers to chase a ring.

I'd have much more respect for ring-less greats like Barkley, Stockton, etc. than I'd have for Melo even if he got one with the Heat. Makes me root harder for the Spurs and (hopefully) the Hawks since they're trying to go down the Spurs' road team-wise.
Melo’s a great individual talent but there’s a reason the Nuggets got better once he left and the Knicks always win when he’s injured.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Melo needs a great coach..I think he needs a Doc Rivers, Pop, Spoelstra, or Rick Carslisle.

I think San Antonio would be interesting but that isn't going to happen

I think you're right, but I hate hearing how x player will only get it together for x coach.

Is spoelstra a great coach?

I think he's gotten much better but it's hard to call him 'great'. I realize he's not just 'rolling the ball out there', but there'll always be that asterisk due to having the best player in the game and an artificially-prepared lineup.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think you're right, but I hate hearing how x player will only get it together for x coach.

I think he's gotten much better but it's hard to call him 'great'. I realize he's not just 'rolling the ball out there', but there'll always be that asterisk due to having the best player in the game and an artificially-prepared lineup.
Honestly, I think he is a good coach but definitely not great. You are right..I think he is good but not great by any means.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Honestly, I think he is a good coach but definitely not great. You are right..I think he is good but not great by any means.

After watching the dismantling take place over the last 2 games I might have to bump him down to just 'okay' as a coach. Man the Spurs are making them look clueless and he has no answers. Come to think of it the Spurs are probably those 4 missed free throws in game 2 away from having swept the Heat.