LeBarrie suspended indefinitely?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I spoke to someone close to GT Athletics this weekend. Spoiler alert: it ain't good. According to my friend, LaBarrie allegedly provided about $2500 cash to Little and a current player during Nas' visit. He says DLab already knows he is unemployed but they won't announce until NCAA provides their findings.

I don't know if he's right or not, but he has never led me astray before. Hoping he's got bad intel here, but he sounded pretty solid.

I am pretty sure Little is not the player in question

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Not even close to being right.
Also not what I heard. It was stated in Ken's most recent article that it was a player in college right now that's not at Tech, which jives with what other sources are saying.

What I have heard to be true is that his fate is unfortunately all but decided. Truly a big blow to the program, including both current and prospective players.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
Best case: Tech is absolved or receives a slap on the wrist and DLab returns.

Likely case: Tech is punished to some degree and DLab is fired.

Worst case: Tech is slammed by the NCAA and DLab is gone.

Also not what I heard. It was stated in Ken's most recent article that it was a player in college right now that's not at Tech, which jives with what other sources are saying.

What I have heard to be true is that his fate is unfortunately all but decided. Truly a big blow to the program, including both current and prospective players.
No offense to your source, but Jman has been on point 100% of the time. Until he confirms negstive news, I'm in DLabs corner. Too many on this board are way to quick to throw family under the bus.

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
This has dragged on so long that it feels like the case file was misplaced. Is it time for a friendly email to be sent saying win, lose, or draw, let’s get this thing done?

LibertyTurns

Banned
This has dragged on so long that it feels like the case file was misplaced. Is it time for a friendly email to be sent saying win, lose, or draw, let’s get this thing done?
Prosecutorial overreach is only funny when it’s annoying your adversary. Not so funny when it’s happening to you.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I heard LeBarrie tried to take Nas horseback riding, but there weren’t any horses around. Well, LeBarrie throws a saddle on his back and rides him around Wyoming for three days. Well wouldn’t you know it his stamina increased with each day and he developed tremendous leg muscles. So anyway, LeBarrie decides to enter him in the Breeders Cup, right? Under the name Turkish Delight. And he's running in second place, and he's running and he breaks his ankle! They’re about to shoot him, when someone from the crowd yells out, God bless him, ‘Don’t shoot him, he’s a human!'

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Is Tech still under probation? If I was the AD and school pres I would be blasting the NCAA about due process and how long this is taking. Laying the groundwork to undermine any conclusions they eventually draw, and preparing the world to accept that Tech will make its own employment decisions, thank you very much.

Take a page from Miami or UNC and blow them off.

Unless the NCAA was going to try and impose some sort of "show cause" type thing on DLab, anything less than that should be treated as time served, maybe a fine/docked pay for restitution, some mandatory retraining, and then move on.

My view is entirely based on how long this has taken from the NCAA. Depending on the supposed infraction, I may have totally agreed he should be fired . . . however, given how ridiculous the NCAA has been in investigating it, it would have to be assault or worse for me to actually still want him fired at this point.

We probably should try and make this opinion clear to CJP, TStan, and Peterson. Especially big donors they prefer to listen to.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is Tech still under probation? If I was the AD and school pres I would be blasting the NCAA about due process and how long this is taking. Laying the groundwork to undermine any conclusions they eventually draw, and preparing the world to accept that Tech will make its own employment decisions, thank you very much.

Take a page from Miami or UNC and blow them off.

Unless the NCAA was going to try and impose some sort of "show cause" type thing on DLab, anything less than that should be treated as time served, maybe a fine/docked pay for restitution, some mandatory retraining, and then move on.

My view is entirely based on how long this has taken from the NCAA. Depending on the supposed infraction, I may have totally agreed he should be fired . . . however, given how ridiculous the NCAA has been in investigating it, it would have to be assault or worse for me to actually still want him fired at this point.

We probably should try and make this opinion clear to CJP, TStan, and Peterson. Especially big donors they prefer to listen to.

I'm of a similar stance. I'm at the point where, short of this being comparable to some Louisville stuff, literally on their level, let DLaB remain suspended balance of the season, that's his & our punishment, then reinstate him. 1) I think he's already learned his lesson. 2) Let's not be so naive as to think there aren't bigger bags being dropped or bigger nights out on OVs.

crut

Helluva Engineer
I'm of a similar stance. I'm at the point where, short of this being comparable to some Louisville stuff, literally on their level, let DLaB remain suspended balance of the season, that's his & our punishment, then reinstate him.

2) Let's not be so naive as to think there aren't bigger bags being dropped or bigger nights out on OVs

Ok but it sounds like that's not what happened. (source - Jumpman)

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2 comments. First on on the NCAA. Fans need to realize that the NCAA is simply a member organization made up of its member institutions. The NCAA can't sneeze unless its members allow it to.
The reason the NCAA exists is to provide a veneer that there is a body overseeing all the member institutions, but in reality the NCAA has very little power. That's why the P5 schools will not leave it. They want to appear to be being watched, but in reality it sort of like the wolf guarding the hen house.

On the Labarrie situation. I have no idea what to think and have nothing to add because we have literally been given basically no facts. I have no idea how serious what he did was. Until we get actual facts it is hard to come to any conclusion. I have no idea if he should be re-instated, or should be fired or something in-between. If he has to be replaced you replace him. To keep things in perspective I'm not sure he has ever signed a top 100 player from the state of GA as an asst coach at any university. (He was instrumental in the recruitment of Devoe).

gtgaas

Georgia Tech Fan
Apropos of nothing, or perhaps everything, concerning the current state of big time college athletics: Dan Jenkins, in his latest (outstanding and often laugh out loud funny) novel, Stick a Fork in Me, has the following interchange between the narrator (the Athletics Director) and Roy (Chair of the Board of Trustees) after they have just fired the university's head football coach for not winning enough games:

When he was gone, I said to Roy, "I'll say this for him. He never cheated enough to get us on probation ... just enough to get us investigated."

"You're right," Roy said with a nod. "He ran a clean program."

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ok but it sounds like that's not what happened. (source - Jumpman)
My point is, based on the whispers of strip clubs & a few extra bucks on an OV (let's remember host players get cash to take recruits out on OVs), a year long suspension is a strong enough punishment to both DLaB & our program. I'm in favor of second chances, especially for one of our own.

Teelittle0608

Georgia Tech Fan
I spoke to someone close to GT Athletics this weekend. Spoiler alert: it ain't good. According to my friend, LaBarrie allegedly provided about $2500 cash to Little and a current player during Nas' visit. He says DLab already knows he is unemployed but they won't announce until NCAA provides their findings.

I don't know if he's right or not, but he has never led me astray before. Hoping he's got bad intel here, but he sounded pretty solid.
This is absurd. I’m Nassir Little’s father and my support for Coach LaBarrie is unfettered. This is an outright lie. If someone actually told you that, and you believe them...I don’t even know what to say. This is disappointing to read this here. The people on this site were always nothing but class personified during the recruiting process, but this is patently false. Darryl is a true Jacket and for people to do him like this with these lies is horrible. I’m sad for him and crap like this makes me sadder. Say what you will...believe what you will. I know that this didn’t happen and I give my full support to Darryl LaBarrie and that entire staff.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is absurd. I’m Nassir Little’s father and my support for Coach LaBarrie is unfettered. This is an outright lie. If someone actually told you that, and you believe them...I don’t even know what to say. This is disappointing to read this here. The people on this site were always nothing but class personified during the recruiting process, but this is patently false. Darryl is a true Jacket and for people to do him like this with these lies is horrible. I’m sad for him and crap like this makes me sadder. Say what you will...believe what you will. I know that this didn’t happen and I give my full support to Darryl LaBarrie and that entire staff.

Thanks for posting and clearing some of the smoke away. I’m sorry that this whole thing with DLab has picked at old wounds for you and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk