Leading Candidate for Ga Tech President

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
With a big recruiting effort this weekend was all hands on deck. One of the top recruits who had his official visit said he got to get all his questions answered by the new staff. He has offer from Stanford.

He was pleased to get to see the academic facilities but he was hoping to get to visit w his professors.

This could be just an isolated complaint, but i hope we get a prez that wants this to be a High point of a recruiting effort.

Going to take a team effort to get the few top academic / top football recruits. This would cost very little to make it a priority.

Animal02

Banned
Fwiw, it wasn't different for AE's. It was just every class.

Still, I have to say that the dreams about calculating loads through trusses went away after 15 years or so.
I remember the final ....it was 4 problems....took me two hours to work through the first one ... It was some convoluted four beams connected at the ends with a load on the first and you had to size the last. It would not back check....I gave up and went to the Spiro's/ Grumpy's. :beercheers:

Animal02

Banned
I remember the final ....it was 4 problems....took me two hours to work through the first one ... It was some convoluted four beams connected at the ends with a load on the first and you had to size the last. It would not back check....I gave up and went to the Spiro's/ Grumpy's. :beercheers:
I would add that outside of simple beam sizing.....and I mean REAL SIMPLE, and which I oversize greatly because steel is cheap.....I don't touch structures........it is far cheaper to hire a structural engineer that does it day in and say out than to spend hours on end trying to figure it out. ;)

Recleb

Georgia Tech Fan
As a structural engineer, this makes me both cringe and smile. Glad to know there are some out there who consider us cheap lol. I’ll think of this next time I get beat up on pricing, likely later on today.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
FYI, George Mason is actually my primary team. I go to several Mason games a year, and post frequently on the GMU boards, such as they are.

Cabrera's good at what he does, he has a very international bent, which will suit GT well. He's also very into non-traditional learning, which will be an interesting thing for you guys.

He's not a sports guy. Don't expect him to be.

Animal02

Banned
As a structural engineer, this makes me both cringe and smile. Glad to know there are some out there who consider us cheap lol. I’ll think of this next time I get beat up on pricing, likely later on today.
Cheapness is relative......if you charge me $125 hr and get it done in 2 hours, it is much more cost effective than taking 8 hours myself doing it......besides, I can pass on the engineering fee to the client. ;)

On a side note, you guys are getting to be a rare commodity. I have had several structural engineers just close up shop on me. Had a great one for a long time......did his under grad in Architecture, on the BS degree, then veered into structures and got a Masters at Clemson.......now he just does consulting........I am sure, like me, he found there is a lot less liability.

FYI, George Mason is actually my primary team. I go to several Mason games a year, and post frequently on the GMU boards, such as they are.

Cabrera's good at what he does, he has a very international bent, which will suit GT well. He's also very into non-traditional learning, which will be an interesting thing for you guys.

He's not a sports guy. Don't expect him to be.
Is he a quiet supporter of athletics? A vocal opponent of athletics? Or a say-nothing, do-nothing type regarding athletics?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Is he a quiet supporter of athletics? A vocal opponent of athletics? Or a say-nothing, do-nothing type regarding athletics?
He's a "pay lip service to athletics, and not be actively against it, but really just he has other priorities" type of guy, in our experience.

I wouldn't expect him to get in the way, but I also wouldn't expect him to go out of his way to improve things.

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He's a "pay lip service to athletics, and not be actively against it, but really just he has other priorities" type of guy, in our experience.

I wouldn't expect him to get in the way, but I also wouldn't expect him to go out of his way to improve things.

The real question is....can you buy beer at GMU games?

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
The real question is....can you buy beer at GMU games?
You sure can! The Patriot center (I refuse to call it eagle Bank arena) is a genuinely awesome venue to watch college basketball. Good beer, good food, a mediocre basketball team, and genuinely the best pep band in the country.

Do yourself a favor and look up doc nix and the green machine. A psychedelic pimp leading a heck of a band doing rage against the machine is a sight to behold.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hope new prez has some marching orders on sports that are more positive than do no harm.

The trend toward gt being international may be going too far. I guess their country pays full fair which is better economics than Atl/ instate students.
Even though we have poor attendence from ATL area, at least there is a chance for up tick.

Over in W21 tailgate ( near me building ) when several intl students were asked if they are going to game, they said " what game" .

Come on cgc! While u are changing the offense, defense and recruiting, show these intl students the way to an exciting gt football game.

If cgc and tstan fail, ( Imo )gt football's operating finances will be very close to unsustainable.

yrp

Jolly Good Fellow
SGA or OIE or someone used to do events where the football team would teach international students the rules but that hasn't happened in 3/4 years now.

Ramblin' Reck club says they want to bring more international students to games but doesn't actually do anything about it.

I'm extremely for getting more int. students involved in GT traditions and sports, and everyone says they're for it too, but no one is willing to meet them mid way. Domestic folks don't really wanna get involved in international student events/sports that they're interested in, so they shouldn't really expect the same from the international students.

I tried to bridge this gap a lot when I was at Tech, but it didn't really happen and no one wanted to help. Did as much as I could alone

LibertyTurns

Banned

The fact we were able to find someone that wouldn’t actively screw over student athletes is a plus.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When the
Will never happen...... especially at a place like Tech.
U are right.

Unless its a condition of his hiring - make gt sports as a part of the gt student experience-- sports will not be discussed on the hill .

Only when state takes from gt a major portion of admin responsibility of research and gives it to uga/ga state. (These universities have better admin talents and courses of study that the nerds at gt.Let them admin the engr types and uga will handle the overall budgeting and accounting.)

Only then sill our admin will be more like other schools who have to promote campus life. Now the big big money flows and the admin goes from meeting to photo op.

With no positive support from admin and no guant up tick in donations and ticket sales will we ultimately follow Bucknell , who was once a football power?? . They dropped big time football to go to Patriot league. They are doing great academicly and do have a football team of sorts.