LB & OL & Blocking

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Finally got to watch the replay. We played really good in spots during the first half, but a couple of concerns. Our LB's would get tied up on almost every play by a blocker even when they blitzed. The front four held their own better than I thought. But, several times on offense, we did not block a single player. I would run it in slow mo and neither the backs or Line would block anyone. I was shocked. Both problems can be fixed, but we have to get much better. And that was in the first half.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Finally got to watch the replay. We played really good in spots during the first half, but a couple of concerns. Our LB's would get tied up on almost every play by a blocker even when they blitzed. The front four held their own better than I thought. But, several times on offense, we did not block a single player. I would run it in slow mo and neither the backs or Line would block anyone. I was shocked. Both problems can be fixed, but we have to get much better. And that was in the first half.

good call
on the OL-- going to bigger /taller guys has a downside, until they get VERY experienced their size hinders their reaction movement.it really hurts the OTs
On LBs- it seems the 4-2-5 looks like a 4-2-4 , somehow our "rover" is never in the right place it seems
the DBs have been MUCH weaker than I hoped --from the 92 yd fiasco-- to the burning of our best cover,White, ---to IJ WHIFFING on the first gsu TD run-they are not getting it done
actually the DL is playing about as well as could be expected---who wodda thought?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
good call
on the OL-- going to bigger /taller guys has a downside, until they get VERY experienced their size hinders their reaction movement.it really hurts the OTs
On LBs- it seems the 4-2-5 looks like a 4-2-4 , somehow our "rover" is never in the right place it seems
the DBs have been MUCH weaker than I hoped --from the 92 yd fiasco-- to the burning of our best cover,White, ---to IJ WHIFFING on the first gsu TD run-they are not getting it done
actually the DL is playing about as well as could be expected---who wodda thought?

That is a interesting point and I think there is some truth in it that actually helps argue for patience on getting Shamire up to speed (just to look at one guy we are excited about).

Also I like your last point. I have shared the concerns for D-line but each time I get to rewatch a game I end up thinking that they looked better than I had thought they did live. Often when I had an initial impression of no D-line pressure or getting blown off I then notice lots of holding on the replay by opponent OL's and lots of good containment for pressure with just the 4 linemen but LBs getting themselves caught up or otherwise stopped from then bringing the pressure.

The defensive positions definitely feed off each other and everyone can impact each other very strongly on that side of the ball. So I am sticking more to wanting to see each player and unit step it up and improve on D. Our D just has less margin for error of any one or two players making a mistake on a play.

To their credit I think all the preseason talk coming from Roof and Pelton and McCollum was not coach-speak, they really recognized that this was going to be a year where some tough growth had to occur. I actually think they were more ready to show improvement before last season with what was left to build on from Groh than before this season. I have been looking at the D this year as building that tough foundation and character to be ready to make a noticeable jump next season. We will have a very strong program overall at Tech when both sides of the ball get more in sync in their level of development, knowledge, and experience. Been too lopsided over the last several years.