LB Depth Question

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Recently, everyone has seems to be somewhat uneasy with the recent departure of our starting MLB. My question is for those who payed attention to our back up LBs in the spring game. I haven't looked back on the game since this recent transfer. I do remember Beau playing well in the UGA game. Could anyone enlighten me on our up and comers.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Are we going with the nickel scheme again this year? If so we only have 2 LBs playing at a time and Harrell wouldn't have even been a starter.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, Hankins, PJ Davis, and Marcordes all sat out the Spring game. We did play Nickel with Harrell and Noble starting with the 1s with Chase Alford coning in and with Tre Jackson and Rusty Scott with the 2s, Terrell Lewis coming in.

The guys who didn't play will probably play most.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Correct about the scheme. I felt like Terrell Lewis looked really good in the spring game.

Completely agree that Lewis was impressive in the Spring Game and I would not be surprised to see him with considerable PT this season. I believe Alford has made enough strides to add some meaningful depth that so many are concerned about (I am not, especially since we predominantly play a 4-2-5).

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Here is what we have most of the big guys play inside if we have a 3 lb'er alignment which is rare:

PJ Davis
Tyler Marcodes
Tre Jackson
Dominique Noble
Beau Hankins
Terrell Lewis
Chase Alford
Vic Alexander
Brant Mitchell
Tyler Cooksey
Rusty Scott

So we have 11 guys to play 2 or 3 positions. 2 are walk ons, so you have a solid 3 deep at every position. The true freshmen Mitchell, Co0ksey and Alexander are all good enough to see the field as freshmen if we choose to play them. Normally PJ Davis and Dominique Noble will be out there with Marcodes and Hankins next up. Lewis will probably play a lot this year.

In the middle we can put Marcodes, Hankins, Jackson or Mitchell when needed.

I really don't see a depth issue. P J Davis will play every down unless he gets hurt or we are blowing somebody out. That really only leaves one other position for 10 guys to fight over except for the rare occasion we use 3 backers.

Go Jackets!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Here is what we have most of the big guys play inside if we have a 3 lb'er alignment which is rare:

PJ Davis
Tyler Marcodes
Tre Jackson
Dominique Noble
Beau Hankins
Terrell Lewis
Chase Alford
Vic Alexander
Brant Mitchell
Tyler Cooksey
Rusty Scott

So we have 11 guys to play 2 or 3 positions. 2 are walk ons, so you have a solid 3 deep at every position. The true freshmen Mitchell, Co0ksey and Alexander are all good enough to see the field as freshmen if we choose to play them. Normally PJ Davis and Dominique Noble will be out there with Marcodes and Hankins next up. Lewis will probably play a lot this year.

In the middle we can put Marcodes, Hankins, Jackson or Mitchell when needed.

I really don't see a depth issue. P J Davis will play every down unless he gets hurt or we are blowing somebody out. That really only leaves one other position for 10 guys to fight over except for the rare occasion we use 3 backers.

Go Jackets!

I think we should expect PJ and Marcordes as our LBs in the Nickel, maybe PJ and Beau. On the latest depth chart, Noble was listed as PJs backup.