Launch of Historical Basketball League (HBL) in Atlanta, good or bad for us?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
So I was reading an article on the athletic about a new league, HBL, coming to 8 cities. Seems they pay better than the d league for NBA and offer a separate path for kids who wanna play ball and get paid. Cautious if having a team in Atlanta will help or hurt our recruiting efforts for Pastner and crew.

Anyone know more than the article shares: The Historical Basketball League: will it make history and change college basketball? https://theathletic.com/1088670/201...t-make-history-and-change-college-basketball/

Excerpt on why kids might elect this option in lieu of other paths:

The HBL pay scale is $50,000-$150,000 for as long as players are college students, better than the G League 2018-19 minimum of just $35,000. In addition, HBL players receive full scholarship for five years of college, taken at their own pace, consecutively, or is more likely to be the case, non-consecutively over their lifetimes if they so choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So I was reading an article on the athletic about a new league, HBL, coming to 8 cities. Seems they pay better than the d league for NBA and offer a separate path for kids who wanna play ball and get paid. Cautious if having a team in Atlanta will help or hurt our recruiting efforts for Pastner and crew.

Anyone know more than the article shares: The Historical Basketball League: will it make history and change college basketball? https://theathletic.com/1088670/201...t-make-history-and-change-college-basketball/

The HBL pay scale is $50,000-$150,000 for as long as players are college students, better than the G League 2018-19 minimum of just $35,000. In addition, HBL players receive full scholarship for five years of college, taken at their own pace, consecutively, or is more likely to be the case, non-consecutively over their lifetimes if they so choose.

If the athlete wants the scholarship, they had better use it as soon as possible. They will probably have to make sure that the salary is actually deposited into their accounts.

From what I have seen, this organization started trying to recruit HBCUs to quit the NCAA and join them. Apparently it is now a "college student" associated professional league. I don't have any belief that this organization will survive very long.

Are the athletes required to be college students? If so, what type of college?(Do JUCOs and Technical Schools count?) If they are required to be in a four-year school, what percentage of the guys that would want to be part of this can gain entry to school without assistance? What percentage of the guys that would want to be part of this can be successful in school without the academic support that is provided by major NCAA schools? If the athletes aren't really getting anything out of school(not making progress or failing classes) are they still able to play?

A professional organization not tied to college would be better. Providing scholarships and having the season run during the summer to allow guys to attend college is fine, just don't require it. The absolute best solution(maybe not for NCAA BBall though) would be for kids who are very good players, but not interested at all in school to be able to play professionally and kids who are interested in a college education having the ability to use their athletic skills to pay for their education and assist them with the education.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
This league won’t last. I bought in with another professional league called The Basketball League. We actually held a player workout in Atlanta last fall. We have 16 teams for this year. My group is trying to bring a team to flint Michigan. We have a team lined up in the Detroit area for this year. Our league and a league like this are almost zero threat to college basketball. It’s mainly aimed at kids who would usually go overseas and play for a lower level club.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This league won’t last. I bought in with another professional league called The Basketball League. We actually held a player workout in Atlanta last fall. We have 16 teams for this year. My group is trying to bring a team to flint Michigan. We have a team lined up in the Detroit area for this year. Our league and a league like this are almost zero threat to college basketball. It’s mainly aimed at kids who would usually go overseas and play for a lower level club.

Interesting perspective

GT_EE78

Banned

Paywall= worthless