Late Kick Showing Us Love Again

YellowJacket55

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m glad someone in the media is paying attention, our roster should be much improved but our schedule is absolutely brutal. Hopefully our fanbase sees the on field product for how much better it should be instead of getting their pitchforks out over not getting to 7 this year, it’s a process

LibertyTurns

Banned
@wesgt123 He had me until he said USF’s head coach was our year 2 starter QB.

5 wins is the minimum this year with all the talent we have, with 6 wins being the expected end of year total. 4 wins would be disappointing & somewhat damaging to the program. 3 wins again & we’ll all be making comparisons to 1992-1994. I guess you get to 7 with a bowl game win so I guess I don’t disagree with his assessment. We got 3 easy games, 3 unwinnable games & have a decent shot to split the other 6 barring any catastrophic situations like losing starting QB & RB for example.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

5 wins is the minimum this year with all the talent we have, with 6 wins being the expected end of year total. 4 wins would be disappointing & somewhat damaging to the program. 3 wins again & we’ll all be making comparisons to 1992-1994. I guess you get to 7 with a bowl game win so I guess I don’t disagree with his assessment. We got 3 easy games, 3 unwinnable games & have a decent shot to split the other 6 barring any catastrophic situations like losing starting QB & RB for example.

We could probably be down 2 of our top 4 RBs at any given time and be okay. We legit might have the best RB room in the conference.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer

Eh I forgive him. He is super crisp and there's no telling how many names he reads off in 40 mins. I wont hold one mistake against him too much.

I disagree with RB situation. No doubt losing Gibbs would suck (we saw that at the end of last season) but he is in good company.

But I do agree if we lose Sims we could be in deep doodoo. Guess I'll have to suit up.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
@wesgt123 We got 3 easy games, 3 unwinnable games & have a decent shot to split the other 6 barring any catastrophic situations like losing starting QB & RB for example.

I know that people just watch the ball so they worry about QB & RB, but we have other positions where losing a starter would be very bad. At LB, Ace and Quez are solid, but we are young and inexperienced behind them and have already lost one LB for the season. We haven't had a lock down corner in awhile, but if we lose one of the experienced guys, we become very young and inexperienced there too. Then there is the OL. Same deal--can't afford to lose a starter.

That's why you can't say X is a minimum number of wins. Lots can go right and lots can go wrong--for us and for opponents. We saw the yin and the yang in 2014 vs 2015.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I know that people just watch the ball so they worry about QB & RB, but we have other positions where losing a starter would be very bad. At LB, Ace and Quez are solid, but we are young and inexperienced behind them and have already lost one LB for the season. We haven't had a lock down corner in awhile, but if we lose one of the experienced guys, we become very young and inexperienced there too. Then there is the OL. Same deal--can't afford to lose a starter.

That's why you can't say X is a minimum number of wins. Lots can go right and lots can go wrong--for us and for opponents. We saw the yin and the yang in 2014 vs 2015.
Yep, you are right.We have the CHANCE to be a surprise but that is with a lot of things going right.The only thing I've seen right so far in 2 yrs really is our punter TD pass that stunned uM so much they never recovered.I wouldn't depend of that.MUCH more likely is Gibbs going down again as his injury last yr was self-induced. The only position that can really take a hit seemingly on the whole team is DE.
Reality bites --until it doesn't .

LibertyTurns

Banned
I know that people just watch the ball so they worry about QB & RB, but we have other positions where losing a starter would be very bad.
You are absolutely correct. It’s why I stated “like....”

When you’re thinly manned, it only takes a couple of bad breaks to bring you to your knees.

On the other hand, you never know when you’re going to get lemonade out of your lemon. Sometimes you got Lou Gehrig on the bench. It’s part of why I love GT sports. This isn’t Bammer where the next 5 star trots in off the bench.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our fate is in the hands of Brent Key and Jeff Sims. How those guys go is how the team goes. I wanted to add defense to that but after a decade of ineptness on that side I’m not even factoring them in. But if our OLine gels and Sims plays solid we should be able to outscore teams in the ACC. It’s just sad to see what has happened to a program that was generally pretty solid on D for most of their existence.

ScGold

Banned
We could probably be down 2 of our top 4 RBs at any given time and be okay. We legit might have the best RB room in the conference.
Aside from the nut lickers running back room, how programs have 3 legit high 4 stars in the program at one time?

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Aside from the nut lickers running back room, how programs have 3 legit high 4 stars in the program at one time?
For perspective on the difficulty of our schedule, 4 teams on our schedule meet that threshold: Notre Dame, uga, Clemson, and Miami. Miami will have 5 four-star RBs on their team in the fall - the amount of talent they waste is incredible.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Not to mention a former 3 star RB who outperformed 1 of them in ypg <cough> Mason <cough>. I might also add that the highest ypc is another 3 star: Smith. You can check the season stats. I'd say the RBs are even deeper then most people think. Query = will the OL give them a hole every now and then?

YellowJacket55

Georgia Tech Fan
Not to mention a former 3 star RB who outperformed 1 of them in ypg <cough> Mason <cough>. I might also add that the highest ypc is another 3 star: Smith. You can check the season stats. I'd say the RBs are even deeper then most people think. Query = will the OL give them a hole every now and then?
I’m hopeful they will. Cochran should be an instant upgrade at LT and returning Williams but moved to RT is solid. Minihan will have a year of experience playing Center, and Ryan Johnson at RG I have confidence in. LG seems wide open though so that’s a questions mark for sure

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
“All this talent…”

Congrats to Collins’ first full recruiting class on finishing your first year of college. As you transition to being redshirt freshmen and a few Sophomores (Covid unadjusted), it has been declared that there are no excuses for not winning this year. If you redshirt freshmen do not perform, it is on the coaches.

(Yes, I recognize that is oversimplifying the counterpoint. Just food for thought.)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
“All this talent…”

Congrats to Collins’ first full recruiting class on finishing your first year of college. As you transition to being redshirt freshmen and a few Sophomores (Covid unadjusted), it has been declared that there are no excuses for not winning this year. If you redshirt freshmen do not perform, it is on the coaches.

(Yes, I recognize that is oversimplifying the counterpoint. Just food for thought.)
Been preaching this for months now. All these people harping that he's got his kids now and there are no excuses need to STFU!

YellowJacket55

Georgia Tech Fan
Been preaching this for months now. All these people harping that he's got his kids now and there are no excuses need to STFU!
Exactly, hence the 7 year commitment really being key. We already saw flashes of what CGC and co’s recruiting can bring with their only class being true freshman. The 2021 class looks solid and 2022 is off to a crazy start, the future is looking bright, and these transfers should help a ton in the meantime

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
With the overload of quality transfers that we have and the upper classmen who are contributing at a high level to go along with our young guys who have some experience now, it doesn’t seem like it should be impossible to only win 6 games which is what most have been asking for. I’m not sure why some of you set the bar so low all the time. Getting our team back to mediocre shouldn’t be a 4 year process.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Those folks don't 1) look at the roster; and 2) understand the importance of experience, particularly at certain positions. OL is a prime example, and there is no group that is more important. With Quinney and DeFoor moving on, we are very young. Collins declined to take the Johnson OL commits his first recruiting year and we signed Zero guys. So we are looking at Fr for these positions, even though some are second year. Otherwise, Cooper hasn't played in 2 years (and may not be 100%), and Cochran is new to the program, even if he is a grad.

Yes, the OL guys we need are on campus, but you don't win with first and second year guys at these positions. You can somewhat predict the success of an offense based on the number of guys starting on the OL who have been in a program for 4 or 5 years. We aren't there yet.