Last Stand of the Triple Option

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
IMHO,
18 was the best season for blocking adjustments.

We started w solid ol but thin in depth. Had a warrior at qb, t marshall. Usf was beautiful game except defense could not stop deep ball and special teams gave up 2 ko retuns for TD. Too deep a hole. No one said a word on plane ride home.
Then w bryan out we lost to pitt in close one. Then lost to clem but beat bowling green.
Tmarshall was dinged up so Oliver played some. To simplify for back up ( imo) cpj changed the b back dive from center guard to outside tackle w the tackle doing zone blocking. TO could keep or make pitch or keep = student body around the end. We slaughtered a really bad louisville.

Against duke we messed up a blocking call when bryan was out and nobody got the defensive end.
He crushed the qb who went back to sideline. We couldnt stop passing of duke's d jones and lost.

We were 3-4 with teeth of schedule to go with 2 road games up next.

Imo the qb injury in duke game was a part of why cpj retired.

Anyway things were bleak as we went on road for 2 games - vt and unc. CPJ went full end run with TO who ran behind the b back to lead us to we scoring 48 and 38.

We were 5-4 but had mia and uva to go. Both had strong DL

Against this Cpj used parker and t marshall to do precision hand offs, fake hand offs UP THE MIDDLE. The defense was waiting for end around. Imo, cpj knew we could not out athlete these teams w end runs.
Cpj made the miami dt look silly - running by the guy w the ball to blow up thevguy without the ball The uva dt s were better but some how in critical situations we ended up having bb or qb run behind a crushing block by parker ( left side) for must make yardage.
We completed 4 passes in those 2 games.

From 3-4 somehow were 7-4. It was gutty players and great coaching. T Marshall is a warrior.

10-1 uga (lost to #6 lsu) beat our butt. This was another retirement decision point = seeing uga and others leave gt in the dust.

Cpj's last season clearly demonstrated that he is a hall of fame offensive football genius. I can't wait till he is back cheering for and helping us. Him not on campus is stupid.

Thanks for the good analysis.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Cpj's last season clearly demonstrated that he is a hall of fame offensive football genius. I can't wait till he is back cheering for and helping us. Him not on campus is stupid.

If I'm Brent Key and Buster Faulkner, when CPJ flys back here from Arizona for his day in the GT sun, I'm buying a load of chicken wings from his favorite watering hole in Vinnings, and getting a keg of beer, and locking the entire offensive staff in the film room with CPJ. Key should tell CPJ "Coach, we're not letting you out until you go over your entire blocking scheme for your running game, and see how our coaches can implement it in our new scheme." You have NFL teams paying CPJ good money to consult them on that, the price of wings and beer is steal to learn from the mind of a HOF coach.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Not sure when Jerry Glanville arrived and left, but wonder how u remember him??
"The Glan" was brought in from Western Kentucky in June 1968 to coach the Freshmen team and install Carson's 4-4-3 "Tech Defense" from the ground up. The Tech defense was a modified "Wide Tackle Six" with both ILBs and both DTs switching gaps.... The weakside OLB was the "Wrecker," the strongside was the "Stinger." In 1969 when we moved up to the varsity, so did Jerry to coach DEs & OLBs. The late Lamar Leachman had the interior DL. Billy Williamson had the DBs. Warner Alford was also on that staff, maybe with ILBs.

Jerry is what he is..... it's no show.... he's the same guy off camera as he is in front of one. And you love him or hate him, there's no in between, usually depending on which side of the ball you line up on. Jerry loved all defensive team members, but if you were on offense, the only players he cared about were the ones he personally recruited. Oh, and he thoroughly distrusted walkons.

I respect him, but he taught us all "How can you tell when a football coach is lying? His lips are moving."

Most important life lesson he taught? "If you're on time, you're 15 minutes late" & the ever famous 1970 Sun Bowl "Be late, be left" - Steve Harkey, Bubba Hoats & Zollie Graham showed up for the bus to Hartsfield at exactly our departure time & were left at the Players Gate on Techwood. Our Freshmen practices would start at 329, 344, 316, or whatever memorable number he happened to dream up that day.

Jerry's loyal to a fault, but that leads to the quirk of how he left GT..... in '75 Jerry got a call from the Washington Redskins to come interview for a job... Pepper told him "If you get on that plane, don't bother coming back." Jerry went to DC & either turned down Washington or he didn't make the cut. When he called Pepper to let him know he was coming back to GT, Pepper wished him good luck in his next position. A coupla weeks later the Detroit Lions made Jerry their Special Teams coach.

He still occasionally coaches in one of alphabet leagues that pop up, usually working for someone in his coaching tree. He's about 83 now & lives in Knoxville, his wife's hometown.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
If I'm Brent Key and Buster Faulkner, when CPJ flys back here from Arizona for his day in the GT sun, I'm buying a load of chicken wings from his favorite watering hole in Vinnings, and getting a keg of beer, and locking the entire offensive staff in the film room with CPJ. Key should tell CPJ "Coach, we're not letting you out until you go over your entire blocking scheme for your running game, and see how our coaches can implement it in our new scheme." You have NFL teams paying CPJ good money to consult them on that, the price of wings and beer is steal to learn from the mind of a HOF coach.
Hopefully this will happen!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The whole 2014 back field except for Qb was skill play were gone. The young guys had plenty of talent but as soon as they got their timing down, bam injured.
There was one 2015 game (can't remember which one) where one of our frosh ABs went the wrong direction in a sweep. Thomas looked over and, luckily, didn't pitch the ball. 2 yard loss. The AB realized he went the wrong way after two steps then just stood there with his head in his hands. Then he came out. For the rest of the game.

2015 was the year we lost both projected BBs to injury and when Cottrell got a season ending injury when he was slated to be a frosh starter. If we had had him and Leggett the team would have been much better. Then there were all those other injuries …

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
"The Glan" was brought in from Western Kentucky in June 1968 to coach the Freshmen team and install Carson's 4-4-3 "Tech Defense" from the ground up. The Tech defense was a modified "Wide Tackle Six" with both ILBs and both DTs switching gaps.... The weakside OLB was the "Wrecker," the strongside was the "Stinger." In 1969 when we moved up to the varsity, so did Jerry to coach DEs & OLBs. The late Lamar Leachman had the interior DL. Billy Williamson had the DBs. Warner Alford was also on that staff, maybe with ILBs.

Jerry is what he is..... it's no show.... he's the same guy off camera as he is in front of one. And you love him or hate him, there's no in between, usually depending on which side of the ball you line up on. Jerry loved all defensive team members, but if you were on offense, the only players he cared about were the ones he personally recruited. Oh, and he thoroughly distrusted walkons.

I respect him, but he taught us all "How can you tell when a football coach is lying? His lips are moving."

Most important life lesson he taught? "If you're on time, you're 15 minutes late" & the ever famous 1970 Sun Bowl "Be late, be left" - Steve Harkey, Bubba Hoats & Zollie Graham showed up for the bus to Hartsfield at exactly our departure time & were left at the Players Gate on Techwood. Our Freshmen practices would start at 329, 344, 316, or whatever memorable number he happened to dream up that day.

Jerry's loyal to a fault, but that leads to the quirk of how he left GT..... in '75 Jerry got a call from the Washington Redskins to come interview for a job... Pepper told him "If you get on that plane, don't bother coming back." Jerry went to DC & either turned down Washington or he didn't make the cut. When he called Pepper to let him know he was coming back to GT, Pepper wished him good luck in his next position. A coupla weeks later the Detroit Lions made Jerry their Special Teams coach.

He still occasionally coaches in one of alphabet leagues that pop up, usually working for someone in his coaching tree. He's about 83 now & lives in Knoxville, his wife's hometown.
Thanks for all the content.
I like aggressive defense so as you can guess i like jerry when he was the Houston oilers DC. He took over as head coach and wore out his welcome and off to Atl.

In fall 65 a couple of south ga guys who roomed across from me in Howell , badgered me into trying out for the gt freshman. No man wants to be called " Florida Panzy". So down to Rose bowl field we went. Whistle blows- divide up on each side of field. Then speard out along the line.
We ran sprints accoss the field - if you were faster tgan the guy to the west you moved west. After a number of reps i was damn near on fowler street. Then coaches had us do a series of agility drills, lunges. I made it one more day but could barely get out of bed the next day. My buds made the team and called me Panzy till, they needed my calculus tutoring since they had Steamboat Fulton. Helped on guy get a B. A few yesrs later he was best man at my wedding. He eventually became a high ranking submarime officer in navy The other guy started a refining company in texas.
The Ga tech classroom was the perfect place for me. That freshman team was a fun tradition.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for all the content.
I like aggressive defense so as you can guess i like jerry when he was the Houston oilers DC. He took over as head coach and wore out his welcome and off to Atl.

In fall 65 a couple of south ga guys who roomed across from me in Howell , badgered me into trying out for the gt freshman. No man wants to be called " Florida Panzy". So down to Rose bowl field we went. Whistle blows- divide up on each side of field. Then speard out along the line.
We ran sprints accoss the field - if you were faster tgan the guy to the west you moved west. After a number of reps i was damn near on fowler street. Then coaches had us do a series of agility drills, lunges. I made it one more day but could barely get out of bed the next day. My buds made the team and called me Panzy till, they needed my calculus tutoring since they had Steamboat Fulton. Helped on guy get a B. A few yesrs later he was best man at my wedding. He eventually became a high ranking submarime officer in navy The other guy started a refining company in texas.
The Ga tech classroom was the perfect place for me. That freshman team was a fun tradition.
Fulton was my first cousin, for what that’s worth.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
There was one 2015 game (can't remember which one) where one of our frosh ABs went the wrong direction in a sweep. Thomas looked over and, luckily, didn't pitch the ball. 2 yard loss. The AB realized he went the wrong way after two steps then just stood there with his head in his hands. Then he came out. For the rest of the game.

2015 was the year we lost both projected BBs to injury and when Cottrell got a season ending injury when he was slated to be a frosh starter. If we had had him and Leggett the team would have been much better. Then there were all those other injuries …
The game where the AB went the wrong direction: Not sure if it's what you're thinking of, but I remember Dedrick went the wrong way in the BC game in 2016 and I think Matthew Jordan just bulldozed into the end zone anyway.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The game where the AB went the wrong direction: Not sure if it's what you're thinking of, but I remember Dedrick went the wrong way in the BC game in 2016 and I think Matthew Jordan just bulldozed into the end zone anyway.
Mathew really was excellent student - graduated on time ( recruit class 2014- graduated in 2018 after walking at senior game 2017. ) Got a grad degree in IE

He had a full year of eligibility remaining.

He was Dedddicks roommate. Deddrick wobbled off as well.

A fun option memory = In 2015 Tulane game in jordan ran a play to right and was reading the defenders. He didnt pitch because there was no defender on him. Went for very long run. Tulane had 9 men on field.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Mathew really was excellent student - graduated on time ( recruit class 2014- graduated in 2018 after walking at senior game 2017. ) Got a grad degree in IE

He had a full year of eligibility remaining.

He was Dedddicks roommate. Deddrick wobbled off as well.

A fun option memory = In 2015 Tulane game in jordan ran a play to right and was reading the defenders. He didnt pitch because there was no defender on him. Went for very long run. Tulane had 9 men on field.

I think Matthew getting injured in his junior year was a great loss for Tech football. As I've said here before, a team with Jordan at QB and Mills at BB would have been a team to fear. Sort of like the Navy team in Will Wirth's senior year; i.e. pretty much unstoppable.

Ah, well.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think Matthew getting injured in his junior year was a great loss for Tech football. As I've said here before, a team with Jordan at QB and Mills at BB would have been a team to fear. Sort of like the Navy team in Will Wirth's senior year; i.e. pretty much unstoppable.

Ah, well.
Met his dad at a game shortly after injury.
Was down due to injury and thought cpj was going with tmarshall.
Sure wish we had a qb that could pass after thomas

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Met his dad at a game shortly after injury.
Was down due to injury and thought cpj was going with tmarshall.
Sure wish we had a qb that could pass after thomas
It's been a long wait but I think we finally have one in Pinson. ;)