Laskey -> "Ready to prove people wrong"

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/070314aaa.html

Good article with Laskey saying:
“I’ve been thinking about it; it’s going to be weird that it’s my last season, but I’m excited because it’s my time to show everybody what I have and prove everybody wrong,” he said. “I can’t wait to start hitting again.”
Also props to Sisk and the strength program as well as 7 on 7 discussion.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
good read

but basically you can cut out the person and the year and read one of these every year :)

remember last year it was will jackson saying Vad was like the savior and he wants his kids to be like him

So it is what it is. Gotta sell tickets.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Finally, what we all suspected is confirmed:

“I definitely feel like we focused on the core [of the offense] and got rid of some of the fancier stuff that we were alright at,” he said. “When we were doing that, it took away from our option game, and that’s the first time since I’ve been here that happened.”

I, for one, am psyched about getting back to basics!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
good read

but basically you can cut out the person and the year and read one of these every year :)

remember last year it was will jackson saying Vad was like the savior and he wants his kids to be like him

So it is what it is. Gotta sell tickets.

True to some extent. Every year the returning players have to get better to replace the experience which left.

But every year we hear about how the players are getting stronger and they are doing the 7 on 7s. It's off season and its slowwwwwwwww............

But Laskey last year was a really tough runner and bulldozed a lot of people. If he is faster and stronger, he will be better since there should be less head games as a BB than QB. Vad got worse in passing accuracy and became tentative running and deciding on the option. I don't see that problem with Laskey. The biggest concern I have for him is getting hurt since he is so physical. But he was my favorite BB last year - also Sims averaged 5.5 ypc and Laskey 5.8 ypc.

Dwyer "only" got 5.9 ypc in 2009 after getting 7.0 ypc in 2008........ I bet Laskey will be close or better than the 2009 Dwyer. {stats from http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/team/255/rushing/index.html }

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Good read.

I think we will be back to the good production numbers on O this year. The thing we have to be able to do (that we could not last year) is grind out those long 80+ yard drives.

I just hope our D continues to improve. I know we lost a lot of talent on that side of the ball from last year. It has always been my belief that D wins the games O brings the crowd. Our D is going to have their hands full with UGAg, and Clemson and Miami.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I did not get the we are better this year/more focused/special weapon from this article.

I got "I am ready to prove people wrong", Sisk continues to do his job and make us bigger with proof, we are doing more than 7 on 7 with mesh practice and OL work, we are working on our core and not a lot of new formations. No grand standing, no grinding harder than ever, nothing but a report from a player. I like it....

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'll just wait to see what translates on the field in game. All the wah wah back to basic/we more focused/ect stuff doesn't excite me anymore. I'm not the greatest fan of the "core" offense in the first place. Just win on the field.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Here's my take on what's being said in these articles and off-season comments, in general. I think what they're saying is absolutely true. I think these guys are getting stronger and faster. I think they're trying to do more than they did last year.

Let's look at if from a slightly different perspective. ZL was not the starter last year. That means the starter last year (in this case David Sims) was better than he was [in theory]. To be as good as the starter was last year, ZL would need to improve his performance, i.e. get stronger and faster 0r understand the offense better or block better, etc. If these kids aren't improving, then the skill level and perfomance of the kids rising to replace last year's starters who have moved on will be behind last year's starters. That would be very, very bad. We want last year's back-ups to improve AT LEAST to the level of last year's starters so that we're not moving backwards. The two spots most people are worrying about this are WDE (Attaochu) and DB (Thomas).

So, I expect these kids to continue to improve, grow, mature over an off-season. That's how you reload, not rebuild.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I'll just wait to see what translates on the field in game. All the wah wah back to basic/we more focused/ect stuff doesn't excite me anymore. I'm not the greatest fan of the "core" offense in the first place. Just win on the field.

Your not the only one. I've talked with some that feel like you do. There's one guy I can't even talk about GT football anymore because he's given up completely on our coach, sad. :(

All I can say, I hope this team and the recruits coming in prove a lot of people wrong, and win their hearts back. I can't and will not give up on any athlete that puts on a GT uniform. I love my school too much to.

Thanks for posting Nuke :)

sideways fan

Georgia Tech Fan
I like Zack and a lot of the guys we see interviewed. But frankly, my excitement/anticipation level for next season is lower than it's been since Gailey's last year.
Unfortunately, given the losses we have sustained it may be best to temper our optimism over these reports. Nonetheless, I am encouraged and excited that this team is accepting the challenge of being largely dismissed by the media and other schools. Good. It will make ***** slapping them that much sweeter.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I understand the "show me don't tell me" sentiments, and I've come to share them. I still get excited, though, when I read this stuff, and I hope I always will. That's the fun of fandom. If you don't get that way during the offseason, you might need to get some perspective.

I do like the "get back to basics" focus that players and coaches are alluding to. From conversations I've had with former student athletes of my own who are now at GT, there were definitely guys who realized last year that we weren't running our base O smoothly enough, and they understood that the passing elements had to be predicated on the running portion working well. While some guys just wanted to pass more, it sounded to me like there were plenty who understood the way the O is designed and bought into it.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
i don't think anyone is not excited to hear the positivity, i for sure like it. But being a realist a bit...

I think alot of us, for sure me, is in the wait and see mode since the team is just above .500 of late and i think below .500 vs fbs. So the point here is talk is great but the results are mediocre for EVERY kid on this team (the past 4 years). This positivity, and numbers, and conditioning and offseason focus HAS to result in something on the field. Otherwise its just more of the same.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Good read.

I think we will be back to the good production numbers on O this year. The thing we have to be able to do (that we could not last year) is grind out those long 80+ yard drives.

I just hope our D continues to improve. I know we lost a lot of talent on that side of the ball from last year. It has always been my belief that D wins the games O brings the crowd. Our D is going to have their hands full with UGAg, and Clemson and Miami.
All those teams are replacing qb's. Clemson and uga have the whole year to get their ish wrinkled out though.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
ZL is ready to prove to the COACHES that they made a huge mistake by not starting him last season. I for 1 feel that he should have, and will be very beneficial to our winning games this season. I just dont see our O being the problem 2 years in a row. As long as our D can keep from regressing, we will see much better results on the field.