laptop to smart tv streaming

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
just bought a new tv for the up n coming season. so i want to stream content from my laptop to my tv via hardwire.

i will eventually empty my laptop and use it for streaming only.

laptop is a dell inspiron 1545
tv is a Samsung UN40EH5300 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED

the laptop has a 15 pin vga port and 2 usb 2.0 ports.

does anybody have a suggestion on a good a/v usb to hdmi adapter? i am looking at a amazon or a ebay purchase.

tanks in advance!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
just bought a new tv for the up n coming season. so i want to stream content from my laptop to my tv via hardwire.

i will eventually empty my laptop and use it for streaming only.

laptop is a dell inspiron 1545
tv is a Samsung UN40EH5300 40-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED

the laptop has a 15 pin vga port and 2 usb 2.0 ports.

does anybody have a suggestion on a good a/v usb to hdmi adapter? i am looking at a amazon or a ebay purchase.

tanks in advance!

Believe it or not I've never had a bad HDMI cable no matter who made it and I've spent anywhere between $7.00 and $15.00 for all that I've bought (4 HDTVs, 2 Blue ray and I Xbox not mention the audio hookups).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does your Dell computer have an HDMI output jack or mini jack? I just plug in my computer to a HDMI cable and plug into the back of my TV. Also, I put an audio jack into the computer speaker jack and run that cable to my TV too.

From the sounds of the output jacks you have, it sounds like you don't. The computer is the hard part in my experience, not the TV.

I got a Microsoft Surface for watching video .......

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i did some research on hdmi cable and if i remember right cnet had an article that said they are all the same basically. i have seen the same cable male to male 12 ft go from under $5 to almost $20

i only have 3 ports a vga port and 2 usb ports. i do not have an hdmi port. i prefer to stay away from wireless for now until i get a better feel for the technology.

so as i see it i need an usb 2.0/3.0 to hdmi adapter with audio along with a usb cable and an hdmi cable to run to my tv.
i have looked for an adapter online and to say that you can get lost with all the technology involved is an understatement.

so i was hoping to find somebody here he had btdt with a setup like mine. looking for simple and inexpensive.

now if there is a better way to go than what i am proposing i am all ears. ;)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I used to think I was good with electronic components but every time we moved or I had to replace a component my wife would get impatient with how long it took me to set it up and all the trips I would have to make to find the right part.

I broke down and got a smart TV and now we just stream stuff wirelessly right from our lap tops or smart phones.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
well mostly the gt games that are not on tv but on espn g0 for now. at some point id like to get off cable altogether and maybe go with netflix or something similar.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'd just buy a Chromecast then for $30 or so and use the watchespn app. You could use it for many other things as well. I've never been a fan of smart TVs. Regular TVs and then a roku or Chromecast works so much better.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Roku is what I use most of the time since I got rid of cable. But for the things I want to watch which aren't Roku stations, I do the cable thing from my HDMI compatible computers ( 2 of the 3 currently are HDMI compatible).

Other than PrimeWire.ag or using someone else cable password, any way to get ESPN?

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
I'd just buy a Chromecast then for $30 or so and use the watchespn app. You could use it for many other things as well. I've never been a fan of smart TVs. Regular TVs and then a roku or Chromecast works so much better.
Chromecast has WatchESPN app, does it work regardless of which internet/cable service you have?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Still need a cable service to be able to use it. I believe just about every cable/satellite provider has access to it now. I have a very basic cable package (about 30 channels) with Comcast bundled with my internet and it works. ESPN has to be one of the channels in the cable package though. Funny thing is it’s cheaper for be to have the bundle than just internet alone and I just call every 6 months when they raise my bill and threaten to cancel and I’m good for another 6 months.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Still need a cable service to be able to use it. I believe just about every cable/satellite provider has access to it now. I have a very basic cable package (about 30 channels) with Comcast bundled with my internet and it works. ESPN has to be one of the channels in the cable package though. Funny thing is it’s cheaper for be to have the bundle than just internet alone and I just call every 6 months when they raise my bill and threaten to cancel and I’m good for another 6 months.

That's what I'm going to do ... get basic service (no box or anything extra) and ESPN for the fall. I got rid of cable since I was mad about having to call every so often. The bundled package (internet, phone and cable) would go from $230 to about $170 just because I complained. Now I just have internet from cable company, Vonage for phone (soon to only use cell), and Netflix/Hulu Plus and Amazon and of course local digital antenna TV. More than we want to watch. There are ways to get ESPN / sports shows (like PrimeWire.ag) or other people's accounts but if I'm having a game watching, I would hate to not have the game......

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
AppleTV costs a little more but if you have an iPad the airplay feature is great for throwing YouTube clips to the big screen. Solves the problem of trying to type search strings with a remote

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If he has a smart tv he shouldn't need a box should he? He should be able to get the watchespn app right on his television through the marketplace?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
That's what I'm going to do ... get basic service (no box or anything extra) and ESPN for the fall. I got rid of cable since I was mad about having to call every so often. The bundled package (internet, phone and cable) would go from $230 to about $170 just because I complained. Now I just have internet from cable company, Vonage for phone (soon to only use cell), and Netflix/Hulu Plus and Amazon and of course local digital antenna TV. More than we want to watch. There are ways to get ESPN / sports shows (like PrimeWire.ag) or other people's accounts but if I'm having a game watching, I would hate to not have the game......

you are on the same path i am on. vonage is the best phone service i have had bar none. i am profoundly hard of hearing and the clarity was always very good.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
what i have found out so far.

i chatted with a tech from dell/samsung and they both said i would need a converter or a router depending if i went wireless or hardwired.

i bought a google chromecast and found out my laptop is too slow. chromecast currently supports only 2.4 ghz wifi. i tried to install it any way and i could not get it to work.

when i tried connecting to my laptop wifi network using the tv alone i could not pick up my laptop network as a source on my tv. i did pick up the pc as a source with the chrome cast but it would not install any further.

i have had a number of folks suggestion monoprice.com so i went to that web site. after chatting with a tech to make sure my choice would work i ended up ordering......

- 6102 20ft 22AWG CL2 High Speed HDMI® Cable With Ethernet - Black 1 $24.14

- 8079 USB 2.0 to HDMI® Display Adapter w/ Audio (1920 x 1080) 1 $43.55

total including shipping was $77.76. no tax. ;)

i had 3 choices of cable to chose from....

-standard high speed cable which comes in a slimline profile. it is more flexible.

-standard high speed cable with ethernet capability. for a buck more i went ahead and upgraded. it is a bit thicker than the standard high speed. i will add strain relief to protect the tv as the tv is on a stand. not wall mounted.

-standard high speed with built in equalizer. the equalizer is a signal booster for longer runs of cable. it was not available in the 20 ft length that i purchase so i figured i didnt need it.

in every case the samsung/dell/monoprice technician said that i wanted to hardwire for the best quality signal vs wireless.

ill keep updating as i learn more.

Last edited: