Lane Kiffin

Jn4heisman

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone else want him as our coach? I know that he has not won but he does get great recruits. It would be the first time we get constant 4 and 5 stars. Personally, I would take him, it would be a change of pace and I think he would do good things in the south.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Those consistent 4 and 5 star recruits rolled over in the sun bowl last year to a very average acc team. No point in having "good" players if you can't win. Open ended question: what has Lane Kiffin done as a head coach to keep getting chances?

GTFan62

Jolly Good Fellow
He did nothing for Tennessee except quit after one year. He does not take criticism well, he reeks arrogance. He should not coach anywhere.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
"what has Lane Kiffin done as a head coach to keep getting chances?"

Not to actually end up defending Kiffin at all . . . but my recollection is that when he was coach at Oakland he tried to tell them they needed to draft Calvin number one but was overruled by Al Davis and they took Jamarcus Russell. That of course kept them sucking and led to his getting fired there, so not so much his fault. Then while at Tennessee USC wanted him as a connection to the Pete Carroll glory days. So I guess I am saying he really hasn't so much gotten unusual chances to this point. BUT his next head coaching gig will be a really nice break for him.

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Living in SoCal and hearing the frustration out of the Trojan fans is music to my ears (since I was told how great the Trojans will be from here to eternity since the good ol' Bush/Leinart era).

Would I want Lane Kiffin as our coach? NO

1) He does recruit well....
But its not THAT HARD to recruit well at USC. Of course, tell that to Paul Hackett but that's another story.... He's also whiffed on some real STUD recruits. DeAnthony Thomas comes to mind. Studs like that would have helped immensely.
2) He needed to fire his DC sooner.
Technically, he didn't fire his DC (or his father to be exact) since he "resigned" after the season. But they just couldn't stop anybody on defense. Kiffin you see (Lane that is) is an "offensive" guru so he knows nothing about defenses and what not. His dad who's suppose to be one of the founding father of the cover 2 defense and with his NFL pedigree should have been able to stop any "amateur" offense but hasn't been able to do so.
3) He just rubs people the wrong way
I don't know what it is. Could it be the fact that he's the son of a successful NFL coordinator and seemed to have glided his way to the top without a scratch to his armor? I'm not sure.
4) The offensive "guru" has an Offensive offense this year
GT folks were up in arms with Vad's performance after the VaTech game. USC fans would have been ecstatic if any one of their QBs performed like that. These dudes are suppose to be 4-5 star QBs coming out of high school. Max Wittek (the guy who we all know well from the Sun Bowl) was overtaken for the starting stop by Cody Kessler who comes out hitting less than 50% of his targets. Think of Reggie Ball except this is at a factory school. The USC QB gets to throw to Marques Lee who's one of the best WRs in the country last year (better than Robert Woods who was Lee's teammate and 2nd round pick to the Buffalo Bills) and has a less than 50% completion percentage???? Also, the running game was mostly non-existent as well. That was driving lots of the older alumni nuts who were spoiled by the Marcus Allen and OJ Simpsons of the world running all over teams.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I hope this is a joke... Lane probably has the most baggage of any coach in CFB. Nobody respects him and if he were to become the Head coach at Tech, we would automatically become the laughing point around the nation.

Lane needs to go to a much smaller school, probably New Mexico state or something like that and actually coach up a winner.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
-Great Recruiter/Cheater (But only because he's got a good looking girlfriend/wife and alot of confidence)

-Bad Coach (The apple did in fact fall far from the tree I am afraid in this case, his dad is a great coach)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
"what has Lane Kiffin done as a head coach to keep getting chances?"

Not to actually end up defending Kiffin at all . . . but my recollection is that when he was coach at Oakland he tried to tell them they needed to draft Calvin number one but was overruled by Al Davis and they took Jamarcus Russell. That of course kept them sucking and led to his getting fired there, so not so much his fault. Then while at Tennessee USC wanted him as a connection to the Pete Carroll glory days. So I guess I am saying he really hasn't so much gotten unusual chances to this point. BUT his next head coaching gig will be a really nice break for him.

I think him being given the Raiders gig was certainly an unusual chance and crazy Al Davis, to his credit, realized his error quite quickly. Ever since then he's kinda gotten by on his name and having been an NFL head coach. Kinda like fruit of the poisonous tree.