Lamar Owens takes Georgia Southern job ...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Mate, Southern still has a-backs. Wesley Kennedy is one of the best i've ever seen. They just call them slots.

They option off a shotgun pistol set when they option. They actually just run a ton of zone. They dont line up two rbs off tackle and motion em. They actually put a hb on one side, or what we would call a te and run zone. Its really not even close to what we did. They even have two te sets. Their backs are almost always in the deep backfield.

Owens isnt coaching them anyway so its a moot point. But their rbs in pistol of shotgun based wishbone do different things since they are not slamming a dive every play they have way less responsibility to arc the lb. its just different.

And it will help lamar remove the military option stigma for sure. And thats my main point. Its a good career change. Ga south runs the ball in scheme more similar to when clemson and auburn run it than cpj; some similar sets and blocking. They just run it more....

feel free to watch a sample; they simply don't line anyone up that can be called ABacks. Just a traditional TE Hback.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
They option off a shotgun pistol set when they option. They actually just run a ton of zone. They dont line up two rbs off tackle and motion em. They actually put a hb on one side, or what we would call a te and run zone. Its really not even close to what we did. They even have two te sets. Their backs are almost always in the deep backfield.

Owens isnt coaching them anyway so its a moot point. But their rbs in pistol of shotgun based wishbone do different things since they are not slamming a dive every play they have way less responsibility to arc the lb. its just different.

And it will help lamar remove the military option stigma for sure. And thats my main point. Its a good career change. Ga south runs the ball in scheme more similar to when clemson and auburn run it than cpj; some similar sets and blocking. They just run it more....

feel free to watch a sample; they simply don't line anyone up that can be called ABacks. Just a traditional TE Hback.

Mate I watched every southern game last year. They brought a ton of twirl motion and after this game they started working a flex package into their formations for rocket toss, follow, PA off rocket and trap.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Mate I watched every southern game last year. They brought a ton of twirl motion and after this game they started working a flex package into their formations for rocket toss, follow, PA off rocket and trap.

We can debate all day. Its not the same. There are similar concepts. But the blocking scheme is different. One or two plays or packages doesn’t constitute or define their offense. Just as when paul goes 3-4 wr or dabbled with shotgun did it define us. Just not the same man. They use te. They dont use ab like us. They run a ton of 21 and 31. They have true slots. They outside zone alot. We did basically none of it.

So its good for lamar. He gets out of a sigma imo. That’s great. He is coaching wr. Hopefully they start passing a touch more if they have a decent qb

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Southern is running much more zone and doesn't run the triple, a la PJ/Army/Navy. But it's still option based offense.
Southern has always done well recruiting in the North Florida/Jacksonville area and Coach Owens is going to help that with his contacts and ins there.
Glad he's gotten a decent gig. Hope he can adjust to the much slower pace of life in Statesboro. There are some good people there.
I wonder how many of the other ex PJ assistants are still looking for work and how many are just going to retire.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Southern is running much more zone and doesn't run the triple, a la PJ/Army/Navy. But it's still option based offense.
Southern has always done well recruiting in the North Florida/Jacksonville area and Coach Owens is going to help that with his contacts and ins there.
Glad he's gotten a decent gig. Hope he can adjust to the much slower pace of life in Statesboro. There are some good people there.
I wonder how many of the other ex PJ assistants are still looking for work and how many are just going to retire.

We know sewak retired, Mac might too.