lack of passing game

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pass protection philosophies will not allow this. Neither will our passing concepts. Not against this level of competition anyway.

When we have to pass against good teams we were awful. Here are last year's passing stats by game. Passing well in important games is the exception and you can check out previous years. http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/team/255/passing/offense/gamelog.html

Maybe that will change, but not without practice and game day experience. We only need to pass good enough to keep the D honest, I actually prefer the ground and pound game. But when it's not working we have been done. Happens with all teams except those with a massive talent advantage.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
When we have to pass against good teams we were awful. Here are last year's passing stats by game. Passing well in important games is the exception and you can check out previous years. http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/team/255/passing/offense/gamelog.html

Maybe that will change, but not without practice and game day experience. We only need to pass good enough to keep the D honest, I actually prefer the ground and pound game. But when it's not working we have been done. Happens with all teams except those with a massive talent advantage.

Rich Rod, Chris Ault, Malzahn, Urban Myer, & Chip Kelly all built passing attacks out of run heavy offenses. I think they just make it a priority to have a consistent passing attack.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
Take Auburn's OLine. Tell them they have to fire out on pass plays instead of pass set. They would look only slightly better than our line and Nick Marshall would be much less effective.
that sounds like a philosophy problem. If you look at CPJ's offense at Navy, they weren't able to pass at all either. The problem we have on passing downs is everyone knows we're going to pass, we usually have a QB who throws ducks like Tevin or he just throws hail mary's like Vad. We don't do a good job with short passing routes or crossing patterns. Most the time our tackles can't hold their blocks. I'll never forget the Ole Miss trick play when the right tackle just whiffed on Nkemdiche and as soon as Dennis got the ball he was there. If we ever want to compete against good teams the play by our offensive tackles in pass situations needs to get a lot better.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
Rich Rod, Chris Ault, Malzahn, Urban Myer, & Chip Kelly all built passing attacks out of run heavy offenses. I think they just make it a priority to have a consistent passing attack.
there's a difference between the spread option teams and the flexbone option teams. Auburn runs the triple option, but no one calls it a high school offense because they have modernized it. If CPJ modernized his offense there wouldn't be negative recruiting against Tech for it's O and people wouldn't make fun of us for running an offense from the old days.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
there's a difference between the spread option teams and the flexbone option teams. Auburn runs the triple option, but no one calls it a high school offense because they have modernized it. If CPJ modernized his offense there wouldn't be negative recruiting against Tech for it's O and people wouldn't make fun of us for running an offense from the old days.

That's not gonna happen. This is his offense therefore it's Tech's offense.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
That's not gonna happen. This is his offense therefore it's Tech's offense.
agree, but look at this play by Auburn. It's pretty much the same play as rocket toss:

The url isn't letting you start at current time but play is at 46:10

Notice how they have a tight end/h back to block the safety. He also blocks him straight up with out cutting/whiffing on his man. The defensive end is left unblocked like many of our plays and Marshall executes pitch perfectly. Then the running back takes it all the way.

We have a QB who is faster than Marshall. We also have fast running backs, but we don't have tight ends/fullbacks who block and we don't have big mobile offensive tackles besides Chris Griffin.

For some reason our offense seems so dificult for our players to learn, but Oregon and Auburn just execute flawlessly and make it look so easy.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I actually enjoy the forward pass and winning more than seven games.

Perhaps he meant you're one of those fans that thinks there's a rational correlation between our offense and our W-L. I have to admit that I admire your posting consistency. Very few sane adults, when confronted with facts refuting their position, so boldly double down.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps he meant you're one of those fans that thinks there's a rational correlation between our offense and our W-L. I have to admit that I admire your posting consistency. Very few sane adults, when confronted with facts refuting their position, so boldly double down.

I can easily say the same thing about you.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
agree, but look at this play by Auburn. It's pretty much the same play as rocket toss:

The url isn't letting you start at current time but play is at 46:10

Notice how they have a tight end/h back to block the safety. He also blocks him straight up with out cutting/whiffing on his man. The defensive end is left unblocked like many of our plays and Marshall executes pitch perfectly. Then the running back takes it all the way.

We have a QB who is faster than Marshall. We also have fast running backs, but we don't have tight ends/fullbacks who block and we don't have big mobile offensive tackles besides Chris Griffin.

For some reason our offense seems so dificult for our players to learn, but Oregon and Auburn just execute flawlessly and make it look so easy.

We can post a thousand plays from other offenses. We can suggest and put together every and any scenario imaginable the offense is the offense and it's not changing. What it's been the past 6 years is what it will be next season and the season after that.

Forget TE's, forget a decent passing attack, it's not gonna happen. We gonna run abacks, bbacks, silly backs, win somewhere around 7 games rinse wash repeat for the next 2 to 3 seasons. You gonna have fans that love him like dress & AE and people like me who went from hoping for better to just waiting on the inevitable, but it's not gonna stop me from rooting for GT.

We have a weak schedule this coming season so maybe we can beat up on the sisters of the poor and hope the UNC & Duke haven't actually turned the corner so Tech can squeak out 8 wins.

Last edited:

thwgjacket

I watched Auburn's spring game and Marshall chunked the ball all over the field for 3 touchdowns. We couldn't even complete a fade route in the end zone.

By no means am I judging our ineptness in the passing game on just the spring game.
No but in that post you're judging it with a comparison to another teams Spring Game.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
We can post a thousand plays from other offenses. We can suggest and put together every and any scenario imaginable the offense is the offense and it's not changing. What it's been the past 6 years is what it will be next season and the season after that.

Forget TE's, forget a decent passing attack, it's not gonna happen. We gonna run abacks, bbacks, silly backs, win somewhere around 7 games rinse wash repeat for the next 2 to 3 seasons. You gonna have fans that love him like dress & AE and people like me who went from hoping for better to just waiting on the inevitable, but it's not gonna stop me from rooting for GT.

We have a weak schedule this coming season so maybe we can beat up on the sisters of the poor and hope the UNC & Duke haven't actually turned the corner so Tech can squeak out 8 wins.

So our offense is the reason for 7 wins?

thwgjacket

Maybe we could too, if we actually developed one.
Either it's a talent issue which is a coaching issue or a scheme issue which is a coaching issue or it's a priority issue which again is a coaching issue.
Maybe it's just a GT issue. Found some stats just for you little buddy. You're going to want to note the passing stats and how every year the QB had over 2000 yards. Can you guess who the OC was? I bet you can.
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_College.asp?id=83&Season=1990
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_College.asp?id=83&Season=1989
http://www.totalfootballstats.com/Team_College.asp?id=83&Season=1988

Oh look I even found you a video...