lack of passing game

charles

Jolly Good Fellow
I am concerned that a lack of a passing game is going to result in the same defense strategies used by VT, Clemson and the other good defenses that beat us last year, Putting 8or 9 in the box and selling out for the run. Our O line seems a little vulnerable by watching the Spring Game; Roof did an execellent job of mimicking what a good defensive line will try to exploit. I think this part of the offense has a lot of work to do before the start of the deason.

Arkfbplayer52

Georgia Tech Fan
I am concerned that a lack of a passing game is going to result in the same defense strategies used by VT, Clemson and the other good defenses that beat us last year, Putting 8or 9 in the box and selling out for the run. Our O line seems a little vulnerable by watching the Spring Game; Roof did an execellent job of mimicking what a good defensive line will try to exploit. I think this part of the offense has a lot of work to do before the start of the deason.

:barefoot:

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line.
We have hitched our wagon on a one dimensional and in some ways gimmick offense. A developed passing game is not gonna happen or at least happen consistently. The best we can hope for is to be the best at running the bread and butter extremely option plays well. It is what it is.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
from byerly's comments in the article i read, the only wrinkle we're going to see this year that's different from previous years is the no huddle. CPJ's going to double-down on what he knows--under center and run the basics. as long as the O stays on schedule and we're sitting pretty at 3rd and 2 every series, it works. but we damn sure better be hitting blocks. else we're gonna find ourselves in the same boat we have for years in long yardage situations.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Let me go on record and say I do not like the no-huddle speed up offense. If we no-huddle but still milk the clock to <5 seconds per play great. But we need to shorten the game and keep the D off the field. Equally important, we need the long 8 minute drives that freak the other team out and make them impatient.

Scoring quick gives the other team more opportunities and tires our D out. Against the weak teams, it doesn't matter. Against Clemson and UGAg it makes all the difference in the world.

CPJ is on record that he doesn't like the short passing game since the running game is more reliable. So don't expect many changes this year unless JT is healthy late in the season when we play the better teams. Till then, CPJ will just do the ground thing and pick up the reliable win over the inferior opponent. Then late in th season when we need a passing game, we won't have practiced it in real game situations, only against our scout team. Rinse and repeat.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Let me go on record and say I do not like the no-huddle speed up offense. If we no-huddle but still milk the clock to <5 seconds per play great. But we need to shorten the game and keep the D off the field. Equally important, we need the long 8 minute drives that freak the other team out and make them impatient.

Scoring quick gives the other team more opportunities and tires our D out. Against the weak teams, it doesn't matter. Against Clemson and UGAg it makes all the difference in the world.

CPJ is on record that he doesn't like the short passing game since the running game is more reliable. So don't expect many changes this year unless JT is healthy late in the season when we play the better teams. Till then, CPJ will just do the ground thing and pick up the reliable win over the inferior opponent. Then late in th season when we need a passing game, we won't have practiced it in real game situations, only against our scout team. Rinse and repeat.
I don't think the point is to be quicker. I think it's to keep the defense from substituting fresh guys in.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Till then, CPJ will just do the ground thing and pick up the reliable win over the inferior opponent. Then late in th season when we need a passing game, we won't have practiced it in real game situations, only against our scout team. Rinse and repeat.

You forget about all the great stats and winning percentages we'll pile up against those inferior & mediocre opponents that can be brought up on blogs and interview as defense for the offense and his coaching.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think some of you are reading way too much into the spring game.

I watched Auburn's spring game and Marshall chunked the ball all over the field for 3 touchdowns. We couldn't even complete a fade route in the end zone.

By no means am I judging our ineptness in the passing game on just the spring game.

Stonewall

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think the point is to be quicker. I think it's to keep the defense from substituting fresh guys in.

Byerly also said he likes the no huddle because it was easier for him and the offense to get in a rhythm. As he put it, less time to think and potentially over analyze. I can see his point. As long as the defense is holding their own, I like it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Guys, you know this, we run to set up the pass. It works, but we have to be able to run it first. We also need a qb who can 1) find the wide open receiver and 2) get the ball to him in stride. (Ah hell, I'd be fine with just get it to him ala Josh Nesbitt.)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The fact is, if you want to know how our passing game will be next year, you don't have to look any further than what's happened the past 6 seasons. Our running and passing concepts are practice intensive, and it takes a QB with a group of skilled players years to get down the intricacies of reading coverage and being on the same page. Tevin was in our system for 5 years and had 2+ years of experience. Completion % was the best it's been in CPJ's tenure, and Tevin actually made passing plays when we needed it (See VT in 2012, Clemson, Miami).

We have JT and Byerly who have both been in the system for 2 years but haven't seen much of the field. I expect to see a lot of WTF passes in obvious passing downs, and a lot of QB scrambles because our guys just don't get the reps in the passing game. Unless they've been working on things in secret, I don't expect much to change from the past 6 seasons. I thought we did some different things last season with Vad with a few things we did, and we were making progress in some respects, but that momentum transferred out. We're basically starting over again with JT and Byerly.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Auburn has a very good offensive line and very good receivers. They know how to pass protect well.

Maybe we could too, if we actually developed one.
Either it's a talent issue which is a coaching issue or a scheme issue which is a coaching issue or it's a priority issue which again is a coaching issue.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The fact is, if you want to know how our passing game will be next year, you don't have to look any further than what's happened the past 6 seasons. Our running and passing concepts are practice intensive, and it takes a QB with a group of skilled players years to get down the intricacies of reading coverage and being on the same page. Tevin was in our system for 5 years and had 2+ years of experience. Completion % was the best it's been in CPJ's tenure, and Tevin actually made passing plays when we needed it (See VT in 2012, Clemson, Miami).

We have JT and Byerly who have both been in the system for 2 years but haven't seen much of the field. I expect to see a lot of WTF passes in obvious passing downs, and a lot of QB scrambles because our guys just don't get the reps in the passing game. Unless they've been working on things in secret, I don't expect much to change from the past 6 seasons. I thought we did some different things last season with Vad with a few things we did, and we were making progress in some respects, but that momentum transferred out. We're basically starting over again with JT and Byerly.
I think you may have hit the problem. Time. Due to NCAA rules, the players have to conduct their own practice sessions to be effective these days. That is why leadership and the proper use of time is so important the next three to four months.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Auburn has a very good offensive line and very good receivers. They know how to pass protect well.

Take Auburn's OLine. Tell them they have to fire out on pass plays instead of pass set. They would look only slightly better than our line and Nick Marshall would be much less effective.