Lack of coverage

Jmonty71

Banned
Anyone else notice that lack of coverage that E$PN gives the ACC? Use to be, they would report on each game. Go over who the MVP was. Even give helmet stickers. Now it's just the Clemson game and that's about it. Just seems like the whole ACC gets slighted. Not like the ACC is the winning-est conference, right now. Not like we have the most National Championships in the last 3-5 years. Just kind of disappointing. :(

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Anyone else notice that lack of coverage that E$PN gives the ACC? Use to be, they would report on each game. Go over who the MVP was. Even give helmet stickers. Now it's just the Clemson game and that's about it. Just seems like the whole ACC gets slighted. Not like the ACC is the winning-est conference, right now. Not like we have the most National Championships in the last 3-5 years. Just kind of disappointing. :(
ESPN is covering for the SEC and the Big 10+2

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
When ESPN laid off about 100 or so folks a few months ago, I think at least one was one of their ACC writers. Their SEC coverage took a hit, too, as at least one of their SEC writers, a guy who had been at the Columbus (Ga) paper, was told thanks for all the fish.

Jmonty71

Banned
When ESPN laid off about 100 or so folks a few months ago, I think at least one was one of their ACC writers. Their SEC coverage took a hit, too, as at least one of their SEC writers, a guy who had been at the Columbus (Ga) paper, was told thanks for all the fish.
Yeah... I noticed I did not see the bloggers on the CFB nation area. Now, that makes sense. Did not know they did a lay off.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
A lot of it has to deal with ESPN having a tough time with cable cutters and people being done with their Lebron/Tebow Drama-esque coverage that become less about sports. This resulted in bad financials, and ABC as a whole let off near 500 employees. Fox Sports also got hit hard as all their writing posts are entirely gone now, its all digital and video based.

Also of note, the average attendance of each power confrence and the highest g5
SEC-77k
Big Ten-66k
Big12- 57k
Pac12- 50k
ACC-49k
American-31k
Teams in the ACC with higher attendance than the SEC mean?

Literally Just Clemson at 80k. FSU was at 76k last year.

Maybe it has something to do with markets. Do you think the ACC gets more coverage than the Pac-12, our most similar market counterpart? The attendance gap between the ACC and the SEC is the same as the diferance between the ACC and the AAC. I see no conspiracy here, just proportional marketing

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Yeah... I noticed I did not see the bloggers on the CFB nation area. Now, that makes sense. Did not know they did a lay off.

A big layoff. NFL guys like Ed Werder, baseball writer Jayson Stark, some of the on air talent (can't remember her first name but last name is Walsh) got let go a few months ago. Dr. Jerry Punch was one of the casualties. Bunch of their NHL people got cut loose.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Just need to do something outlandishly stupid to get some coverage. Maybe if CPJ started off every press conference talking about how he would’ve beaten Jim Brown in Oklahoma drills in his prime.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Seeing that ESPN is hemmoraging money it wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to lowball ACC coverage to negotiate a better deal on the ACC network that's been in talks.

Personally I hope fox swoops in and offers enough to make us go over there. Fox has a hard on for soccer and other sports that the ACC compete in ( lacrosse etc) I could easily see them wanting rights to the ACC. Plus fox sports go is a much better APP for our off tv broadcasts.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Seeing that ESPN is hemmoraging money it wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to lowball ACC coverage to negotiate a better deal on the ACC network that's been in talks.

Personally I hope fox swoops in and offers enough to make us go over there. Fox has a hard on for soccer and other sports that the ACC compete in ( lacrosse etc) I could easily see them wanting rights to the ACC. Plus fox sports go is a much better APP for our off tv broadcasts.
I'd love to see Fox go all in for an All ACC Sports Network.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Will do. Thanks!
Normally I give sportswriters huge coils of rope. What they do, if done well, is very hard. But in today's "journalism" world I think we see the effect of losing so much in print. ESPN, after what seems like decades of explosive growth and profits is hurting for sure. Not just in numbers, but in talent. That as much as anything might explain the ACC. Let's face it, FSU lost luster, GT lost a game that was impossible to lose -- exciting if you didn't have a dog in the fight -- Miami got washed away, early season darkhorse NC State already lost, and who cares about VT? I mean, there is no sex appeal there at all. Louisville is one cop call away from another disgrace. Maybe that explains why Clemson knocks off a very good Auburn team -- a good team -- yet Oklahoma gets raves and bumped up in the ratings because it beat OSU. You know, the team Clemson beat 31-0 in the playoffs. That OSU. I'm sure Swinney is secretly gloating these days, hiding in the weeds again. But the ACC is downplayed again, the Big Ten is up -- bad games, but up -- and out there in oil land, Oklahoma is sexy. It was in 2016, too. And 2015 I think. All of this is to say in my view it is the talent level of the ESPN staff that decides these issues. They just ain't very good. And sex sells. Now, if Miami, GT, VT and even FSU gets in the saddle, you'll see changes. And at the end, Clemson will be laughing. That QB, already a better runner than Watson, is going to be really good. Not Watson, but nobody is. And anybody who wants to play that defense has a death wish.

Jmonty71

Banned
Normally I give sportswriters huge coils of rope. What they do, if done well, is very hard. But in today's "journalism" world I think we see the effect of losing so much in print. ESPN, after what seems like decades of explosive growth and profits is hurting for sure. Not just in numbers, but in talent. That as much as anything might explain the ACC. Let's face it, FSU lost luster, GT lost a game that was impossible to lose -- exciting if you didn't have a dog in the fight -- Miami got washed away, early season darkhorse NC State already lost, and who cares about VT? I mean, there is no sex appeal there at all. Louisville is one cop call away from another disgrace. Maybe that explains why Clemson knocks off a very good Auburn team -- a good team -- yet Oklahoma gets raves and bumped up in the ratings because it beat OSU. You know, the team Clemson beat 31-0 in the playoffs. That OSU. I'm sure Swinney is secretly gloating these days, hiding in the weeds again. But the ACC is downplayed again, the Big Ten is up -- bad games, but up -- and out there in oil land, Oklahoma is sexy. It was in 2016, too. And 2015 I think. All of this is to say in my view it is the talent level of the ESPN staff that decides these issues. They just ain't very good. And sex sells. Now, if Miami, GT, VT and even FSU gets in the saddle, you'll see changes. And at the end, Clemson will be laughing. That QB, already a better runner than Watson, is going to be really good. Not Watson, but nobody is. And anybody who wants to play that defense has a death wish.
Well, face it, our offense is not sexy. Effective, but not sexy. Our D is well.... That's for another topic.

Well, face it, our offense is not sexy. Effective, but not sexy. Our D is well.... That's for another topic.
I don't know why our O isn't considered "sexy". That is a purely subjective opinion. I personally find our O (and others like it) to be far more "sexy" than the average type O that most teams run. I find those other O's to be quite boring most of the time, barring a single spectacular play. But we have our share of spectacular plays too in most games.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Only thing on the ACC blog for ESPN is Clemson... Nothing about any other team. Great job... NOT>
well they did let almost everyone go but the talking heads hot takes people. Too bad. I used to enjoy some of their blog stuff. They don't even put it on the default top bar anymore though. you have to go over to the other stuff to even see it so it shows much little they care about that part of the site these days

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
LOL... I like the hard nosed toughness that CPJ instills in the O. I wished I saw that same hard nosed roughness in the D.

On O our style is to come at u. Hence you have to be hard and tough

On D our style is to react and backpedal; prevent. Which is bend alot. Hard to look hard nosed and tough doing that even if you are

Hopefully this off week roof has used it to recall the 9-10 times in public paul has said they need to call the D more aggressive and maybe we will look more hardnosed and aggressive