#KSUvsGT Postgame

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
And Joe Ham had plenty of trouble seeing over or past the line. He was a great QB despite being not being tall, but I can remember games like UVA where he couldn’t see where the defender was and we paid for it.
And I can remember him simply taking a deeper drop. I never noticed the problem everybody keeps talking about. All good Qbs know what to do about finding open people, no matter what their height.

Oh and how could I have left out Drew Brees? Just forgot, I suppose.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
True, but he is making plays while some people on that defense are not. He seems to be everywhere while others are nowhere. I still think he is our best ball player for the moment. That said, I would trade ten of Charlie for one more good lineman on either side of the ball.
i may not have been clear in my OP. CT is playing great this year at LB - i am agreeing with all the other posters on that point.

he showed a lot of promise at LB 2 years ago. then last year he did not play LB and looked awful at DB/safety/nickel. so the outstanding play this year back at LB makes the coaching decision last year even more frustrating. we were paper thin and awful at LB last year. and the coaches let CT play DB/safety/nickel instead of LB last year. baffling. maddening.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Bad OL. At best avg DL. Hard to see more than 3-4 wins this year again.

Distinct possibility. But I *have* to see improved fundamentals this year. Fewer turnovers, fewer penalties, fewer mental mistakes on the sidelines. I genuinely believe the staff can improve the Jimmy's and Joe's side of things. Whether they can get the most from the Jimmy's and Joe's remains the question.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
KSU was getting a jump on our snap early on but we changed the snap timing and got several off sides plus slowed down their rush. Got to give credit to coaches for adjusting. McGowan is a player.
Sims had a large padded brace on his arm. It may have been hyper extended. He was very supportive of Yates on the sideline.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
i may not have been clear in my OP. CT is playing great this year at LB - i am agreeing with all the other posters on that point.

he showed a lot of promise at LB 2 years ago. then last year he did not play LB and looked awful at DB/safety/nickel. so the outstanding play this year back at LB makes the coaching decision last year even more frustrating. we were paper thin and awful at LB last year. and the coaches let CT play DB/safety/nickel instead of LB last year. baffling. maddening.
I agree and also believe Swilling is out of position at nickel. Great CB but only fair nickel. We will see, but, Yates maybe should have played more last year. He is accurate although short. Again, we will see on him. Also, can't we figure away to get Gibbs and Mason in together. QUAD OPTION - DIVE mason, KEEP yates, PITCH gibbs, PASS mcgowan, LOL

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I agree and also believe Swilling is out of position at nickel. Great CB but only fair nickel. We will see, but, Yates maybe should have played more last year. He is accurate although short. Again, we will see on him. Also, can't we figure away to get Gibbs and Mason in together. QUAD OPTION - DIVE mason, KEEP yates, PITCH gibbs, PASS mcgowan, LOL
Swilling is a bit less than great I'm afraid..He gave up that long TD run and has been only avg for a while .I noticed Walton was out . Its good we looked at new guys.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Swilling is a bit less than great I'm afraid..He gave up that long TD run and has been only avg for a while .I noticed Walton was out . Its good we looked at new guys.
He’s looked very underwhelming the last two years. Last time he looked sharp was 2019. Other than that he has regressed IMO

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Bad OL. At best avg DL. Hard to see more than 3-4 wins this year again. Iiwii. I want to be wrong though
Has the transfer Kirby who NFL scouts supposedly liked played a snap yet? Unless he's injured, surely we could try something else at the one tackle spot.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That Yates kid is pretty good
Whoever recruited him knows how to spot talent. 😊
FIFY. What I got from watching Yates will Milton to the state championship in his senior year is that he can lead. He gets the team down the field by hook or crook. He's also very accurate with his throws - 74% completions this week.

So why wasn't he starting before? He was so-so against strong opponents last year and Sims was more effective, but I think it comes down to height. We just saw this above: "He'll have trouble completing passes down the middle." This is a major myth at all levels of football. Russel Wilson is 5'11", Joe Theisman is 6', Fran Tarkenton is 6', and so on. (I won't even mention Eddie LaBaron.) And, of course, Joe Hamilton is 5'10". I never noticed any of these people having trouble spotting receivers down field.
Doug Flutie - 5’10”

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
From a student, y’all boomers need to up the enthusiasm! We are trying to foster another generation of Tech die hards. stay the whole game, get loud, show out! We can’t have game after game where the stand empty at half, and expect the students to care.
The Boomers are entitled, sensitive whiny jerks. Ive been banning them on facebook for a few weeks now, in my group. You should try blocking them on social media, it is so much fun

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Last year, we were more dinged in the secondary than at LB.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Distinct possibility. But I *have* to see improved fundamentals this year. Fewer turnovers, fewer penalties, fewer mental mistakes on the sidelines. I genuinely believe the staff can improve the Jimmy's and Joe's side of things. Whether they can get the most from the Jimmy's and Joe's remains the question.
I think they are getting it from the "Jimmys" who are the skill position players. The difference in athletic ability between our offensive skill guys and their defensive backs was stark. The "Joes" are another matter as we have linemen that look like Tarzan and play like Jane. IIWII

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
They were on the field at the same time against Kennesaw.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not much to glean from this game to be honest. The players did what they were supposed to, and our physical superiority showed. KSU was always going to pop a few big plays...that goes with the territory with the Flex option. LOTS of downside in games like this, and limited upside. Our defense played a one off scheme, so it's difficult to read too much into the defensive numbers...but you give them credit for not letting KSU dictate play against that offense. Need to clean up how we finish games. Good teams maintain discipline from beginning to end.

Offense hit plays we missed last week. Yates found the receivers that were open last week. Again, you pat them on the back, but don't read too much on it. We were just "out athleting" KSU all game. Not sure what to make of our run game. Almost 300 yards last week against better athletes, and just over 150 yards against KSU. Sometimes you just shrug, take the win, and move on.

Good to hear the positives for the players from CGC, especially the scout team...BUT, maybe it's the loss to NIU that still annoys me, but listening to all the hyperbole that came from him after a win against a team that had no shot to beat us (at least on paper) kinda made me ill. Take the W, and don't get on your bully pulpit about it. Win against Clemson next week, and he can throw out all the hyperbole he wants...it will be much deserved.

Nice win, now lets get back to business against the flagship football program in the ACC.