#KSUvsGT Postgame

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
the fact that he was allowed to try to be a db/safety/nickel last year (all season, iirc) because he wanted to, and the coaching staff acquiesced??? it begged questioning last year based on the horrific performances. and now seeing his performance at LB, it begs even more questioning.
True, but he is making plays while some people on that defense are not. He seems to be everywhere while others are nowhere. I still think he is our best ball player for the moment. That said, I would trade ten of Charlie for one more good lineman on either side of the ball.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I drove for 8 hours after the game and just now turned my computer on. I haven't read thru the thread and I haven't read thru stats except for what was on the score board at the game. I am not willing to make a judgement about how much the team has improved from last year based on this opponent. I won't be willing to make a judgement on how much the team has improved after next weeks game either based on that opponent, unless we pull a shocker. I think after UNC and Pitt, we will probably have an indication about that.

In this game, the team looked like a well coached team. Calls were in on time. Defense was set in time. Yates looked really good. I think he has the "it" factor where you just believe he is going to make plays. Charlie Thomas had an incredible game. He had interceptions, pass break ups, TFLs, etc.

Win or lose, I will feel better about the direction of the team if we look like a poised team next week as opposed to how we looked against NIU.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
My takeaways. Yates and Charlie Thomas were the obvious stars out there today. Yates should be QB1 going forward unless he falls apart in ACC play. McGowan looked good as well. The OL looked awful and that stymied the running game. When Gibbs and Mason combine for 15 rushes for 67 yards against an FCS team, something is going terribly wrong. The run game seemed somewhat non existent until Smith broke some runs for chunks of yards late in the game.

The defense played well overall. Got a little lazy in the second half but that happens some times. It will give the coaches something to ride them about. It was fairly strange seeing the option being run by a QB who obviously doesn't like to run the ball. He was forcing pitches (some really bad) when he could have easily gotten 3-5 yards on keeps. I think our defense smelled that reacted to it. Then they tried to pass the ball more and that went terribly. I don't know that we were playing great defense but we were playing well enough that they had limited options.

Overall, im not sure we really learned much but we really needed a blowout win and we got one. It was a good day.

slugboy

Staff member
Joe Ham was not an example he had used. Plus Joe Ham was 1999 not 1980. That’s still a 19 year difference. Still kinda proving my point
And Joe Ham had plenty of trouble seeing over or past the line. He was a great QB despite being not being tall, but I can remember games like UVA where he couldn’t see where the defender was and we paid for it.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I guess the guys that posted 50 pages last week will sit this one out.
I’m happy to give credit where credit its due. I thought our coaches had the team ready to play. Congrats to them for calling a good game. For the most part I think we all want GT to be successful we just disagree with the best way to get there.

I think this was a game Yates really needed. He seems like a gamer to me the way Justin Thomas was. He definitely needed to settle down and get some reps after last week and Dave P put him in some plays that matched his skills.

Just an observation… I don’t think our OL is the strength we thought they were going into the season, especially the tackle positions. I just watched in real time, but we seem lost and slow at the moment. Going up against a defense that hasn’t allowed a touchdown is going to be a huge challenge for our line. The Clemson DL (and really their whole D) could start on several NFL teams today.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Am I the only one who saw our O line get dominated by a d2 school? We couldn't run the ball up the middle we couldn't run a pass with a 5 step drop with out Yates having to scramble. .. Anyone happy with this win needs the watch tape. O-line sucks and its going to be awful next week... if i was Yates i would pull a hamstring in practice this week so I don't get seriously hurt. there is no way we score more than 7 points
Certainly room for improvement.

And yet, 7 points would be more than Clemson's D has yielded in a game thus far. Their D has yet to yield a touchdown, including against the now #2 team in the country.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Just an observation… I don’t think our OL is the strength we thought they were going into the season, especially the tackle positions. I just watched in real time, but we seem lost and slow at the moment. Going up against a defense that hasn’t allowed a touchdown is going to be a huge challenge for our line. The Clemson DL (and really their whole D) could start on several NFL teams today.
Yep. First word that comes to mind when I see our OL play is…..”elite”.

slugboy

Staff member
It’s paywalled, but Steve Hummer’s sports op-ed recap: https://www.ajc.com/sports/further-...er-kennesaw-state/24YY5LTGU5FIHIFSIMFEKYZXSE/

Short version:
  • We needed to win, and we did
  • Schedule gets ugly after this
  • Collins is prone to coaching hyperbole in press conferences (so was Lou Holtz, for what it’s worth)
Suguira’s write up is a bit better:
5 takeaways from Georgia Tech's win over Kennesaw State

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-...er-kennesaw-state/JA2IONRYEJAGHHUWIQ2N73YP3Y/

(Via AJC News)

TL; DR version:
  1. The defense played a solid game through three quarters, and “lapsed” in the 4th. {A killer mentality to hold the other teams to single digits would be nice}
  2. Yates’ QBR was 224.1 for the game.
  3. Sacks are bad. We keep giving them up.
  4. We’re better than the last two years, but are we “better enough”?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
My takeaways. Yates and Charlie Thomas were the obvious stars out there today. Yates should be QB1 going forward unless he falls apart in ACC play. McGowan looked good as well. The OL looked awful and that stymied the running game. When Gibbs and Mason combine for 15 rushes for 67 yards against an FCS team, something is going terribly wrong. The run game seemed somewhat non existent until Smith broke some runs for chunks of yards late in the game.

The defense played well overall. Got a little lazy in the second half but that happens some times. It will give the coaches something to ride them about. It was fairly strange seeing the option being run by a QB who obviously doesn't like to run the ball. He was forcing pitches (some really bad) when he could have easily gotten 3-5 yards on keeps. I think our defense smelled that reacted to it. Then they tried to pass the ball more and that went terribly. I don't know that we were playing great defense but we were playing well enough that they had limited options.

Overall, im not sure we really learned much but we really needed a blowout win and we got one. It was a good day.
He is third string for a reason. If you or me were to see Charlie Thomas or Stone bearing down on us we just might be a little pitch happy too. One time he (the quarterback, I think) got hammered by Stone and no one blocked him, they did not even touch him. I winced at the impact.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I drove for 8 hours after the game and just now turned my computer on. I haven't read thru the thread and I haven't read thru stats except for what was on the score board at the game. I am not willing to make a judgement about how much the team has improved from last year based on this opponent. I won't be willing to make a judgement on how much the team has improved after next weeks game either based on that opponent, unless we pull a shocker. I think after UNC and Pitt, we will probably have an indication about that.

In this game, the team looked like a well coached team. Calls were in on time. Defense was set in time. Yates looked really good. I think he has the "it" factor where you just believe he is going to make plays. Charlie Thomas had an incredible game. He had interceptions, pass break ups, TFLs, etc.

Win or lose, I will feel better about the direction of the team if we look like a poised team next week as opposed to how we looked against NIU.
True. I still had a problem with subs on defense getting in and out. There were several times KSU could have snapped it and we would have had 13-14 still on the field. What helped is they go deep into the play clock. Clemson and most others we play will not and we’ll either have to stop subbing or we‘ll get caught. For some reason the players don’t start heading to the sideline until their sub makes it all the way in. Then you have big boys having to do a 30 yard sprint to get off. Our defensive coaches have to figure this out and get the guys off quicker. No other team we play will go that deep into the play clock. Those are the things you don’t see on TV. But watching from the stands KSU could have caught us at least 5 times if they just snap and take a knee.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
True. I still had a problem with subs on defense getting in and out. There were several times KSU could have snapped it and we would have had 13-14 still on the field. What helped is they go deep into the play clock. Clemson and most others we play will not and we’ll either have to stop subbing or we‘ll get caught. For some reason the players don’t start heading to the sideline until their sub makes it all the way in. Then you have big boys having to do a 30 yard sprint to get off. Our defensive coaches have to figure this out and get the guys off quicker. No other team we play will go that deep into the play clock. Those are the things you don’t see on TV. But watching from the stands KSU could have caught us at least 5 times if they just snap and take a knee.
Yep, we looked a lot better there but only because KSU wasn't running any hurry up. KSU bailed us out on a few stalled drives by jumping offsides too.