Krispy Kreme on Ponce

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
God the memories. Limited to $20 to feed two from Friday night to Monday morning, that KK was the best value in town for pure carbs.

Coming off the line, you couldn't stop eating them. Terrible decision an hour later when they exploded in your stomach. But it was worth it since they were soooooooo good.

The sugar high, then crash, after eating a dozen is like riding the Scream Machine.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember when Shaq. bought this location.
If anyone can finance the rebuild it‘s the big guy.

Krispy’s are almost as sweet as @kg01. Almost.
The cost to rebuild will be high to comply with city of Atl building permits. They will require new fire suppression systems for the entire building + cook areas, modern electrical, mechanical, way different from 60+ years ago. It was probably insured at actual cash value for a building that old. They might even install smaller capacity equipment (I know, heresy but most of their new stores have very small production lines).

I just hope Shaq’s team considers the history & community value of this business and will actually rebuild. Saying it is one thing, but committing to increased rebuild & compliance costs could be another. And if the city slow rolls the review, that will add another layer of angst for those who long to see the magic
once again:
1613181995977.gif

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We used to go over there and buy dozens of boxes of doughnuts at $2/box and resell them in the dorm for $4/box to make money for the hall council.

You can't even get 2 doughnuts at the Krispy Kreme here in Marietta for $2 now. Inflation sucks.
Remember, "I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts..." Now it's an even wager.
Soon it will be, "I'll bet you doughnuts to dollars...".

slugboy

Staff member
The cost to rebuild will be high to comply with city of Atl building permits. They will require new fire suppression systems for the entire building + cook areas, modern electrical, mechanical, way different from 60+ years ago. It was probably insured at actual cash value for a building that old. They might even install smaller capacity equipment (I know, heresy but most of their new stores have very small production lines).

I just hope Shaq’s team considers the history & community value of this business and will actually rebuild. Saying it is one thing, but committing to increased rebuild & compliance costs could be another. And if the city slow rolls the review, that will add another layer of angst for those who long to see the magic
once again:
View attachment 9878
The one advantage to being gutted is that it’s easier to run electrical and everything that doesn’t have to go through a poured slab
It’s massive though

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sure that the big guy had insurance. Insurance will pay to get it rebuilt.
For a 60+ year old structure they were probably insured at a reduced value, called actual cash value. Ever try to insure an antique or a really old vintage car?

Plus they will have to bring everything up to current building codes, some of which may not be covered by insurance. For most complete rebuilds, businesses normally include upgrades, finishes, etc, not covered. And, they may not be permitted (by the city) to have the same large cook/fryer area, without large investment in fire suppression and ventilation systems. And did they buy business interruption insurance to cover employees wages while the business is down?

Can the owners cover the gap? Probably. Will they? Let’s hope so.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Realistically, how much is it going to cost to put up a new standalone restaurant structure? $1-2MM?

I think a rebuilt Krispy Kreme would see that repaid rather quickly. Especially, if they seek bank financing at current rates.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Realistically, how much is it going to cost to put up a new standalone restaurant structure? $1-2MM?

I think a rebuilt Krispy Kreme would see that repaid rather quickly. Especially, if they seek bank financing at current rates.
The question I would ask is whether the physical location has moved too-far upscale to justify re-using it as a Krispy Kreme?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The question I would ask is whether the physical location has moved too-far upscale to justify re-using it as a Krispy Kreme?
Yes. That property is probably worth way more as condos.

Build condos with Krispy Kreme as the anchor ground level retailer.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The business model for Krispy Kreme is not retail. It’s wholesale. You need a large enough production facility to service grocery, convenience and other outlets. Retail only locations (like those at a university or airport) lose money. They are used to promote demand though.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I like Krispy Kreme and miss visiting the location that burned down. I'll settle for taking the money and building a new location near me because I don't get to Atlanta as often as I'd like. Land's not as expensive near my house!